Cannot prioritize extinguishing fire

Started by Zhang5, February 25, 2017, 03:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhang5

I had a problem with fire nearly wreck my first base this morning.

Earlier today I had a pyro start setting fires outside my base. That's actually kind of neat. The problem was she somehow managed to set a tile on fire that was NOT able to be interacted with!

So I could not prioritize a colonist to go put out the fire because I literally could not make the right-click menu appear (when I had been diligently putting out the fires as soon as she started them just moments before that). Most of the fires spawned from that tile could be interacted with normally, usually. But like 1/3 of them also shared this obnoxious non-right-clickable trait. It developed into a nasty wildfire that I've been barely keeping away. I've since learned that Drafting a unit and sitting them on the tile next to the fire forces them to deal with it as a workaround.

I just picked up the game last night, and this was such an upsetting bug I'm actually kind of considering asking for a refund. I don't want to spend hours on a base just to lose it to some UI nonsense! That's no fun at all!!

Zhang5

So someone on Reddit cleared up what was wrong. The fire was outside of my "Home" designation area. So new fires spawned north and east of the original tile would not have the right-click priority menu. New fire tiles spawned west south could be designated. I feel like the right-click menu should not care about home designations in this case.

PS to Mods: I'm leaving the thread even though it is not a bug - I definitely thought it was, and I'm sure others do too. I didn't find any old posts related to this either. So I think it makes sense to leave this in case other people find it useful. Please feel free to delete the whole thread if you disagree!

BoogieMan

I think it would be better if that it was outside of the home region they wouldn't do it automatically, but wouldn't block you from manually ordering to be done.

Zhang5

werz

Quote from: Zhang5 on February 26, 2017, 08:16:42 PM
That's exactly what it should do. :'(

The right click seems to be for tasks that are planned anyhow : the game allows us to choose what should be done and the colonists do it depending on their work priority.

When you right-click a tile, it lists the tasks associated to the tile and allows you to prioritize a task but extinguish fires out of the home zone isn't part of the job list.

The firefights are managed with home zone, this is how the game work, it should evolve somehow but for me it's a WAD.

The issue I see is that adding the possibility of forcing to fight a fire outside the home zone with the right click will only force the pawn to fight the fire on the selected tile, after its done, it will select another job to do. You won't learn what the game expects you to do and you'll get frustrated by the micro-management that it will force you into.

The bugfix you want here (IMHO) when right-clicking on a fire outside the home zone is to get the information : "Cannot extinguish fire: the fire is out of home zone.", so you'll get to know what's wrong, expand the home zone as the game expect you to do and don't ask for a refund ;-)

Another thing that would fix the issue (but that would be a feature, not a bugfix) would be to be able to:

• Select a zone
  • Right-click it
  • Be able to prioritize a similar job for the zone like:

• Prioritize extinguishing fires in the zone
  • Prioritize constructing/deconstructing things/smoothing floors/etc... in the zone
  • Prioritize hauling things in the zone

Jimyoda

Quote from: werz on February 27, 2017, 08:58:03 AM
Quote from: Zhang5 on February 26, 2017, 08:16:42 PM
That's exactly what it should do. :'(
The issue I see is that adding the possibility of forcing to fight a fire outside the home zone with the right click will only force the pawn to fight the fire on the selected tile, after its done, it will select another job to do. You won't learn what the game expects you to do and you'll get frustrated by the micro-management that it will force you into.

The bugfix you want here (IMHO) when right-clicking on a fire outside the home zone is to get the information : "Cannot extinguish fire: the fire is out of home zone.", so you'll get to know what's wrong, expand the home zone as the game expect you to do and don't ask for a refund ;-)

Perfect point!
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

nccvoyager

At the moment, you can draft colonists and place them on the tile next to a fire in order to get them to put it out, even if it is outside of the home area.
Just so you know.

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: werz on February 27, 2017, 08:58:03 AM

Implemented in A17. Thanks for the report and suggestion!