How many squares would an Acre be in terms of scale?

Started by Ichoreen, February 26, 2017, 05:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichoreen

I would like to know for reasons related to base design and potential relevance for a mod I've been thinking about making.

Hans Lemurson

Let us begin with the assumption that 1 tile = 1 meter2(It looks about right, but its hard to be sure about scale in a game where trees can grow to maturity in a single 60-day year, and an armor vest costs slightly more than a wind turbine.  And HOW thick are the walls?  :o)

A useful coincidence in Metric/Imperial conversion and convenient powers of two is that an Acre is very close in area to a square 64x64 meters.  That estimate gives you 4096m2 which is pretty close to the actual 4047m2.

Acres as classically defined though have a 10:1 aspect ratio, a strip of land that could be plowed in one day by a single yoke (pair) of oxen.  It is one furlong in length (1/8th of a mile, 220 yards, "length of a furrow") and 4 perches wide (1 chain, 22 yards).  This would come out to about 20x200 meters2 if you want to keep things metric.

100 by 100 meters will give you the other common unit of land area: the Hectare.
10 by 10 meters will give you the "Are" (hectare means 100 ares), which is the size of a small house or garden plot and close to the size of a tile in Sim City.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Ichoreen

Thanks for the info. In return I offer you this image proving that wind turbines and armour vests are basically equivalent items IRL.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

BoogieMan

Quote from: Ichoreen on February 26, 2017, 06:49:37 PM
Thanks for the info. In return I offer you this image proving that wind turbines and armour vests are basically equivalent items IRL.

Maybe in price. But not in amount of material needed to construct.

And that turbine shows a maximum output of 400 watts. While the type used in Rimworld max out at 3000.

Hans Lemurson

I was referring not to monetary cost, but to the massive size difference between the two items.  "With these materials, should I build a personal vest to armor the torso, or an electric stove to cook meals on?"

That said, I hadn't fully appreciated that both a Wind Turbine and Personal Armor make use of lightweight high tensile-strength materials.

That said, trying to balance costs in a game like this is always difficult.  If you do it by mass, then you either end up with tools and weapons being trivial in cost, or buildings being ridiculously expensive.

Similar is the size scale issue.  I spent enough time working through different scenarios when trying to write this post, that I'm putting my analysis in its own thread so that I can keep all the glory to myself it can be easily referenced.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30830.0
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.