I Know the Research Menu Is Controversial, But hear me out.

Started by DaemonDeathAngel, March 04, 2017, 12:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaemonDeathAngel

Personally, I like the creativeness of the new research menu, however, for modders sake, it''s not extremely useful. A15 Research menu was a bit too bland, but extremely useful.

How about this idea, Combine the two, but have a slightly different approach, use the old style menu as a list, when you click on the research, you get a box to the right, showing the new style menu with the selected research, and what it branches into ones researched.

SpaceDorf

I concur.

This is a good Idea, which gets better the more mods you run.

On top of it I would like to have different sorting options for the research menu.
Alphabetic for once ..

Or maybe make it similiar to fluffy's great Relations Mod and let the whole gig calculate itself on the fly. 
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

nccvoyager

IIRC, Tynan has said that the "research screen" will be reworked (or at least fixed up) for the A17 release.
(Mainly, the menu will be able to scroll up and down as well as side to side, AFAIK.)

Ford_Prefect

DaemonDeathAngel

Quote from: nccvoyager on March 04, 2017, 03:00:24 PM
IIRC, Tynan has said that the "research screen" will be reworked (or at least fixed up) for the A17 release.
(Mainly, the menu will be able to scroll up and down as well as side to side, AFAIK.)

That he did, however, I was just giving a potential fix idea, rather voice my opinion that be some rage filled little bastard about it.

Quote from: Ford_Prefect on March 04, 2017, 07:57:24 PM
I like the A 16 research menu. 

I like it as well, but there aremany ways it could be spruced up. The idea is great, the execution however is not that good for modders.

nccvoyager

I wasn't implying you were being a "rage filled bastard about it."
I apologize if it seemed that way.
I was only putting up the current (official) word on this topic.

In terms of your suggestion, it would seem to be a good idea.
The left "section" would allow you to see research as a list, while the right "section" would allow you to see what the research requires and where the research leads.

DaemonDeathAngel

Quote from: nccvoyager on March 05, 2017, 05:48:51 PM
I wasn't implying you were being a "rage filled bastard about it."
I apologize if it seemed that way.
I was only putting up the current (official) word on this topic.

In terms of your suggestion, it would seem to be a good idea.
The left "section" would allow you to see research as a list, while the right "section" would allow you to see what the research requires and where the research leads.

Oh, I know, I've read all of Tynans comments regarding the Research menu.

Jstank

There is nothing wrong with the research tree, its just not designed to accomadate mods atm. Its fine, and will be fine when it is cleaned up next alpha.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: nccvoyager on March 04, 2017, 03:00:24 PM

I thought the plan was to add tabs? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Will have to go searching to find out.