Delete a faction mid game?

Started by Zxypher, March 04, 2017, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zxypher

Is there a way using dev tools/a mod/save editor to delete a faction that currently exists? I'm having problems with a mod faction creating an absurd number of raiders and sometimes crashing my game. I'd rather just delete them and be done with it but don't want to start over.

Is this possible?

nccvoyager

While this is theoretically possible, it would be extremely difficult to do.

Opening your saved colony (after backing it up) in any text-editing program will allow you to edit it.

I would suggest Notepad++ as a free text editor that also supports code formatting display.
(Saved colonies are in XML code format.)

You would need to search for any and all references, pawns, and objects that are owned by, or have a history with, the given faction you wish to remove.
This will be a time consuming process.
You will likely need to manually look through each section of the file in order to ensure that all references to any of the faction members is deleted.
In addition, you would need to either reassign or remove any references to this faction that might appear on the world map.
All references to items added by the mod need to be removed.
All references to tile types added by the mod must be removed.

If any references to this mod-added faction exist in the saved colony after the mod is disabled, RimWorld will throw an error when you attempt to load the colony.

There are no automatic tools to do this kind of thing.
There is no easy way to do this.
It is extremely unlikely that a community member would be willing to do this for you.

If you undertake this endeavor, I wish you the best of luck.

Zxypher

Quote from: nccvoyager on March 04, 2017, 02:51:48 PM
-Snip
If you undertake this endeavor, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the input, is there any way to flag the faction as defeated? I think that would have the same end effect wouldn't it? I've never defeated an enemy before though so I don't know what the flag is or where it would be.

nccvoyager

AFAIK, factions as a whole cannot be "defeated" at this time.

Faction bases can be destroyed, but even if all faction bases on the world map are destroyed, the faction still "exists" in the game.