Storytelling?

Started by Sebastian Cigar, March 04, 2017, 05:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cigar

Hey folks
Just a quick question. Does AI follow a certain pattern while generating events?
I'm asking because I've had several games where the events didn't seem so random. For instance, I had a crash-landing colony that accepted pretty much every refugee, wanderer and escape pod spacer, they also captured a raider or two. The three original colonists had Chinese names, and guess what, all the willing newcomers were of Asianic origin aswell. After the total population count reached about 12 and a couple of marriages took place, they all turned out to be related in one way or another. I also had a rich explorer's colony, his chronological age was quite high, around 3000 years, and pretty much everyone who joined the settlement had no experience of being put to cryptosleep, or atleast a very short one.
So, are the events truly random?

b0rsuk

No, they're not fully random and that's where Storyteller meddling comes in. Tynan, the developer, believes he can create better experience by skewing probabilities and making events connected.

For example, I can show you that enemy factions don't act independently. If there's a raid, load the last autosave and you will see that at the same point of time that the raid happened, it will still happen. Only this time it can be a different faction. This lets you reload to reroll the faction that's raiding you. It also allows you influence what factions attack you. If you're enemy to 2 tribes and 1 pirate, you will mostly get raids by tribes. If you make peace with both tribes, you will see that a bigger portion of raids will be space pirates. But the overall frequency of raids will be more less the same (!). Also, making peace with everyone around will cause more raids from the 'hidden' mechanoid faction.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 04, 2017, 05:26:06 AM...Also, making peace with everyone around will cause more raids from the 'hidden' mechanoid faction.
The Humans are ending their wars and growing united.  They have forgotten that their purpose is war and they live at our pleasure.  Remind them that one way or another their fate is one of Blood, Death, Metal, and Fire.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.