Is the player actually a Mind-Control Parasite?

Started by Hans Lemurson, March 04, 2017, 07:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Lemurson

This was a theory I developed when I was new to the game and thought that arresting people was the only way to make them join your cult Colony.  But even though well-treated rescues will join voluntarily, I still think it holds up.

Consider:

• Everybody works tirelessly together for the greater good, as determined by your particular whims.  Without your guidance they will apathetically starve to death.
  • All of the pawns obey your bidding, and under your direct control can even act against their own interests to the point of death.
  • Mental Breaks in fact are only really bad because it is a time when you lose your ability to control or influence the pawns.
  • The only purpose of Happiness is to prevent Mental Breaks.  Perhaps excessive stress weakens your control over your drones?  If not for that, it wouldn't matter.
  • Perhaps a "Mental Break" is actually just the pawn struggling to claw their way out of a mental fog and haphazardly exerting their free will in feeble fits and starts.
  • Why are prisoners often so resistant to join your colony, even when it's a very nice place and they used to live in a tribal hovel?  Why do they refuse your gifts of unity?  STOP RESISTING AND ACCEPT OUR LOVE.
  • After they break down and surrender to your will, their life begins anew with all their past affiliations forgotten.  They will remember relatives and friends, but unless something truly distressing happens, they just don't matter as much as they once did.
  • When a Wanderer Joins, perhaps the crash had spread your Spores of Wisdom farther than you had realized.  As a stranger wanders near, the Song of the Hive draws them in, awakening the feelings of unity and purpose that had been whispering at the back of their mind.  ...Why DID they leave their old colony?  It doesn't matter any more, because they are home.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

cmitc1

kinda makes me think of Unity from Rick and Morty, if you have seen that episode.

dragonalumni

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 04, 2017, 07:56:59 PM
Why DID they leave their old colony?
I think it's mostly because either they are going to join or my doctor is going to skill up on them starting with the legs.
Quote from: cmitc1 on March 04, 2017, 11:43:03 PM
kinda makes me think of Unity from Rick and Morty, if you have seen that episode.
In turn stolen from the Startreks Borg? I love Rick and Morty, where is season 3!

Seriously though, in basically all games, isn't the human behind the computer just a parasite.  ;D

Hierophant

The Borg are a technological hive mind. Unity is a biological hive mind. Totally different.

dv

Quote from: dragonalumni on March 05, 2017, 12:07:25 AM
Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 04, 2017, 07:56:59 PM
Why DID they leave their old colony?
I think it's mostly because either they are going to join or my doctor is going to skill up on them starting with the legs.
Quote from: cmitc1 on March 04, 2017, 11:43:03 PM
In turn stolen from the Startreks Borg? I love Rick and Morty, where is season 3!

Seriously though, in basically all games, isn't the human behind the computer just a parasite.  ;D

I don't know if they stole it from the Borg - the name was also an episode of Superman: Animated, with another invasion of the bodysnatchers / alien plot.

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Reverend_Amos_Howell

Not to be confused with The Faculty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Faculty

The list goes on and on.

deslona

So basically you are saying that in the base scenario. The ship blew up not because of 'unknown' reasons, but someone was trying to stop us from spreading and infecting the galaxy?
With regards to the tribals, maybe they saw our tribe rejecting the culture and traditions and expelled us...

This idea is creepy, and definitely needs expanding and depth.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: deslona on March 07, 2017, 05:52:48 PM
So basically you are saying that in the base scenario. The ship blew up not because of 'unknown' reasons, but someone was trying to stop us from spreading and infecting the galaxy?
With regards to the tribals, maybe they saw our tribe rejecting the culture and traditions and expelled us...

Indeed!

It applies to most other management games as well, and is a hilarious thought experiment.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

RyanRim

Quote from: deslona on March 07, 2017, 05:52:48 PM

Thats the idea of the game that hasnt been carried out yet, the Gods interference and more divine powers blah-blah-blah. Wouldn't think though that force-camping is helping to build up. For me it is always around 90% fail rate, no matter how I prison them (not a huge fan of torturing, I take this game as life). Also I have seen numerous colonists (well landers or marauders) not staying but rather accepting with their certain death in starvation/wounds/breakdown in wilderness. I must say I love this point about this game but something isn't right about it.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Elixiar

So Rimworld is effectively 'Play Deads: Inside'

Interesting theory.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

sadpickle

I can't speak for everyone else, but I identify as an attack helicopter orbital mind control laser

Jarwy

I'm pretty sure all these people just live inside a simulation without knowing it, Matrix style.

johiah

Quote from: sadpickle on March 12, 2017, 09:44:09 PM
I can't speak for everyone else, but I identify as an attack helicopter orbital mind control laser
Stellaris reference?
"My best warden has no jaw"