New Colony+ Option

Started by Freya 'Tail' Fairwing, April 16, 2014, 06:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freya 'Tail' Fairwing

Imagine you've ran a colony for a few in-game months. You've held off numerous raids against well armed raiders, you've built a thriving farming/mining community out of a handful of ragtag survivors and whatever help they've bought/found/kidnapped, they've made a name for themselves as a survivalist community; but still they are stranded. They are no closer to getting off the Rimworld.

One of your colonists, after a certain period of time, like 50 days, thinks that someone, somewhere on the world will have a way off the planet. From this, the option to build a caravan becomes available. It's not expensive, costing a little bit of metal and some meals. Once it's built though, you can choose three colonists from your current colony, along with all their skills and equipment they are using, and 500 units of any combination of resources, to go out into the world and seek help.

Inevitably, they fail and are forced to make a new colony themselves. The world is harder, with none of the pre-landed supplies you see at the start of a normal world, raider attacks being tougher. (The first attack isn't just an injured pirate with a pistol anymore.) All you have to start with is what you bought with you and what you can mine and farm. The world is harsher overall, but your colonists are tougher, more skilled and already well armed. The old colony becomes listed in the list of factions (among a roster of totally new ones) and you can help or hinder each other.

You have to start anew; again, but maybe you'll come one step closer to that way off the planet.

Dr. Z

I like this idea, I thought that there are too much starting resources since Alpha 3 anyway, it makes the game beginning much more easy in my opinion, and it would be a great opportunity if you build everything possible and having nothing more to do in your colony, which happens often to me because I don't have many mods.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Splinterbee

Yea this sounds cool. More and more worlds to go threw. Many a little less resources every planet rather then none perhaps? Oh oh and a new biome and animals every planet and maybe a more harsh environment with every planet (snow and wolfs, jungle and giant spiders, volcanic biome and lava monsters etc)
Video games, are pretty good

Dr. Z

He doesn't speak about new planets but new colonys on the same planet, read carefully  ;)

Lava monsters? As long as we build almost everything from easily inflammable metal, that would be a tuff game.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Splinterbee

Quote from: Dr. Z on April 18, 2014, 04:19:46 AM
He doesn't speak about new planets but new colonys on the same planet, read carefully  ;)

Lava monsters? As long as we build almost everything from easily inflammable metal, that would be a tuff game.
ah yes. We'll new biomes would still be cool. As for lava monsters I was merely makin an example  ;)
Video games, are pretty good

Avis

Actually seems like a really good idea! It would be very cool if this was to be added!
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."