[WIP] Expanded BaseGen

Started by zeidrich, March 05, 2017, 08:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeidrich

Introduction
I've been working on extending the base generation.  I always found it funny that when you attack a colony, you came across 15-20 people with no infrastructure or farms, and pretty random treasures which were a mix of food and medicine, generally way more medicine than was necessary, but way less food than was reasonable

Progress
I'm building the base out of multiple cells.  I've currently got lots of ideas for cells, but I'm still working on some of the helper functions that will help me put them together.  Currently cells are about 9x9 and there are 9 cells in a 3x3 grid inside the walled camp.  Right now I'm developing it so that these values can be easily changed, but this limits how easy it is to build the blueprints for each room, so I might just fix that so I can more easily decorate.

I've currently got farms working, but with some aesthetic issues.  Currently each base hosts 2 farms, and the rest is bedrooms (I haven't put beds in them yet).  A farm will grow crops in the case that the temperature is feasible and more than half of the tiles in the cell are arable.  Otherwise it will create a chicken coop.   If the soil fertility is 100% or better, it will plant rice, otherwise it will plant potatoes. 

To do
I've got lots of ideas for custom rooms.  I might need to expand base size from 9 cells upwards.  Each room should have some kind of treasure, and potentially some kind of guards.  There are some things that are difficult to do, for instance, the chickens right now will stay in their coops, and eat, but if you break in, they're going to fight you because they're on the opponent's faction.  However, if I make them wild, they aren't able to open doors, so without some extensive modding of other systems I won't be able to make them both able to get outside, and able to be, say, tameable.  Though there's something kind of interesting about putting treasure in a chicken coop and having to get pecked to death to reach it. 8 chickens can actually do a reasonable amount of damage if they surround you.

Lots of defenses and other things are possible.  Some stuff isn't really expected to be used by opponents so I'm not sure how it will work, like deadfall traps and turrets.  Will the player be able to see a deadfall trap set by an opposing faction? Will turrets fire at a player? Is power generation going to work as expected for an enemy faction? I haven't tested this yet.

Images
Here are some images:
Standard base with 2 rice fields

Base partially in mountain with a chicken coop and a rice field.

demeggy

Very cool. I was intending on looking at the algorithm as part of a 'dungeon generator' I intended on building into my discreet side project.

Xena

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.