[A17] Change Dresser

Started by Kiame, March 07, 2017, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

Keyed translation support has been added so if there's anyone who wants to contribute on that front feel free  ;D

AngleWyrm

Not exactly a bug, but a sort of odd behavior:

When a mirror is constructed (on a wall), colonists can access it from the far side of the wall. In this picture is shown a mirror being assembled in a bedroom, but the colonists will also have access to it in the dining area.

Also shown in that picture is a wall light from Skullywag's Additional Lighting mod. Those lights aren't installed on a wall but instead in the tile in front of the wall. The tile in the picture is also occupied by a robot recharging station, and elsewhere, work tables and other furniture. So maybe the source code for that mod could be of assistance.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Kiame

Hmm I had noticed the 'interact through wall' but i chalked it up to how pawns interacted with objects (since the interaction square is clearly marked).

I will take a look at the Additional Lighting mod and see if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Kiame

New add-on!

Change Dresser - Change when Drafted

When an apparel group is being made there's a new checkbox "Change When Drafted". When checked, as soon as the pawn is Drafted they will switch to that apparel group. As soon as they are no longer drafted they will switch back.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=886465333

AngleWyrm

Excellent idea!

Can you please do a non-steam version for the add-on?

Kiame

Sure (didnt know about github's release tab  ;D ).

Change Dresser: (need the most recent for the add-on to work)
https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-changedresser/releases/download/20170318/ChangeDresser.zip

Change when Drafted is here:
https://github.com/KiameV/changedresserchangewhendrafted/releases/download/20170318/ChangeDresserChangeWhenDrafted.zip

Instructions on how to create a "Change when Drafted" apparel group is on the first post (attached). Or, if you want to be a guinea pig, see if you can do it and let me know if it seemed intuitive  ;D

Adding direct downloads for both on first page too

Kiame

Curious too if this is a good idea - keeping the Change Dresser stand alone and anything else (especially when detours are needed) as an add-on.

AngleWyrm

Feedback on GUI

I tried setting up two clothing groups:
  • WarmWeather - cloth pants, button-down shirt and jacket
  • JimsStuff - Heaviest armor available
Then I was going to swap into WarmWeather while un-enlisted, enlist and then swap into JimsStuff.

Things didn't go quite as anticipated. There's some sort of Unwear button that swaps outfits which is a little confusing. It would make more sense to see the outfit that's in the dresser, and have the option to put it on. Unwear seems like an in-betweeny extra step, a sort of exposure to fallout of the underlying code framework. Like seeing girders in a house.

There's also a shortage of planning ahead. I haven't found a way to put clothes in the dresser except by taking off what I'm currently wearing and then walking around naked picking up clothing until I'm dressed.

And last niggle, there's a duplication of effort in that all the work that went into planning outfits in the game's outfit planner is ignored and another separate, nearly identical set of outfits have to be re-designed.

Also, the process didn't result in making the guy swap outfits when enlisted, so I'm gonna go RTFM.

Is this the desired expression of self, or is this room to grow? The choice is up to you.

Kiame

Hmm there might be some more work i need to do to clean up the interface or better instructions.

When creating a set of clothing per pawn, there are 2 states. Wearing an apparel group and not wearing an apparel group.

So in the case of 2 apparel groups, WarmWeather and JimsStuff, if JimsStuff is set as "Change when Drafted". When the pawn is drafted their apparel should all be put into the dresser and JimsStuff is put on the pawn - the dresser now says "Unwear JimsStuff". When they're un-drafted, JimsStuff and their original apparel are switched again. So in this case WarmWeather is never used.

Also, there can only be one apparel group marked as "Change when Drafted" per pawn. If a second apparel set is marked as "Change when Drafted" the original will be unmarked (though still restricted to the pawn).

Looks like the interface is not too intuitive. I'll write out better instructions to head off confusion. Thank you!

To the point about sorting clothing to/from the dresser - it's clunky but i haven't figured out a better way to do this yes - is to store the items into the dresser (main page before creating a group) then selecting "Create Group from Storage" or "Edit ____ from Storage".

Basically what the pawn can wear and what a group can contain are bound by what a pawn can wear at any one time but the storage can hold any number of items.

I know you had mentioned earlier the desire to be able to switch between Winter and Summer apparel. I have a rough thought plan about it but nothing going as of yet.

AngleWyrm

I'm getting the impression that a dresser can contain stuff that is not part of an outfit group, so that if they weren't wearing an outfit and then swap into an outfit what is then in the dresser isn't necessarily an outfit.

If I was wearing WarmWeather when I went to the dresser and selected "wear JimsStuff," then doesn't it make sense to have the option to come back to the dresser and select "wear WarmWeather" because that is at least in part what is contained in the dresser?

Kiame

To the comment about "If wearing JimsStuff and then wanting to wear WarmWeather"
How the dresser is currently implemented is when a pawn wears/unwears apparel it literally does a swap of the apparel from pawn to apparel group - this is a shortcoming.

I added an extra check in when an apparel group is being worn to protect against the case where: Pawn wears JimsStuff (JimsStuff has what the pawn was wearing). The pawn then wears WarmWeather (WarmWeather now has JimsStuff's apparel). The pawn then wears JimsStuff.
This results in:

• The pawn is wearing its original clothing
  • JimsStuff now has WarmWeather's apparel
  • WarmWeather now has JimsStuff's apparel

How I look at the dresser is in two parts
1. A bottomless storage dump (aka a bag of holding (for D&D fans ;D ))
2. A set of "apparel groups" which contain specifically selected apparel items
--Apparel items in an "apparel group" are not shown as stored in the dresser (i'm brainstorming a way around this/how to differently display this)

Both pieces are not connected other than items can be moved between them. -- I see i never went over this difference in any of my instructions   SRY!  :-[

Going into the future I would like to explore bringing the game's mechanics/systems into the implementation. My thoughts being, the storage part is bascially a stockpile with the stockpile window (with just apparel items). The Apparel Groups might then just become Outfits (from the Outfit Manager) with some extra restraints like whatever's selected must be wearable by a pawn -- i don't want to make guesses about which apparel piece should go on the body, a jacket or parka for example, that would have to be selected by the user when creating the group.

BTW thank you AngleWyrm for the questions, comments, and trains of thought. I hope it's not too annoying. It has helped make this mod better!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Kiame on March 19, 2017, 04:22:55 AM
BTW thank you AngleWyrm for the questions, comments, and trains of thought. I hope it's not too annoying. It has helped make this mod better!
Glad to hear it, I was beginning to worry that I might be making the job frustrating/depressing. On with the show! Earlier tonight I was wondering if workbench mechanics had anything to offer as a framework, or if the Outfit Manager interacted with pawns through some sort of API that works well with benches. Don't know, just a passing thought.

If Outfits from the outfit manager can be worked in, then it might be possible to have haulers fill out the requirements for an outfit. Maybe even specify how many sets should be stored in a dresser: I'd like one of these, one of those, and four of those in this dresser.

Then the player can browse through a dresser looking at the outfits stored in it in a manner similar to shopping. Maybe even a little stick figure with the outfits on display.

Ruisuki

I agree with anglewyrm, dressers are awesome. If you can manage that it would make managing colonies so much easier, and personalized.

SpaceDorf

Great Idea, absorbed into the collection .. posting to follow.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Lethe

Okay, so I guess if a female pawn is not wearing any pants their shirt becomes like a dress and covers the entire pawn. Didn't notice that before. Interestingly enough I have a defective pair of pants on one of my pawns. Maybe she's just wearing leggings lol She's wearing a shirt, pants, duster, armored vest, & hat. Her vest is appearing as her shirt, and I can change its color [good so far], her shirt covers her like she's wearing only a shirt and no pants though, and her pants are visually not there, despite being equipped.

I don't particularly think it has anything to do with your mod, although I guess it might. I haven't paid attention to t shirts and pants mechanics before now.

Edit: Looked at your main post again, it's like the picture you posted up. Where's her pants? o.O O.o

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]