Fueled Jetpacks

Started by giannikampa, March 09, 2017, 07:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giannikampa

Jetpacks!

- crafted after proper research.

- worn in the armor slot, a proper way to have it weared by unable to walk is needed.

- can be turned on or off.

- you fly! no bad legs problems anymore: sets speed of the wearer at a value depending on the quality, ignores floors and ground things speed debuff (will you be faster than a healty manhunting thrumbo with that legendary jetpack?).

- (acceleration mechanics?).

- very fragile: low hp, high deterioration (but i'd like it to be repairable by a crafter).

- you float some centimeters from the ground.. may or may not require a proper puffpuff animation, no more.

- when stopping from moving, but not a further move action, the first action takes some seconds, this simulates landing time. You can't shoot while flying

- chemfuel refill is needed or you just walk (if you can!)

And as always.. sorry for my bad english

SpaceDorf

All Space Marine Assault Squads .. can I get a  : HELL YEAH !

FOOOR THE EMMMPRRAAAAHH !

good enough *mumbles*

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

mumblemumble

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 09, 2017, 12:54:52 PM
*mumbles*
You called?

Interesting concept, but rather than a jetpack, maybe a hoverboard type setup, like a hoverchair.

An actual jetpack just seems.. ...weird, given the fact that z levels aren't a thing.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

BetaSpectre

While Z levels aren't a thing I can Imagine them being like minidrop pods in mechanics letting you zoom around a map.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

mumblemumble

So a big fancy teleporter?.... I'll pass on that =P
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

SpaceDorf

Teleporters are not my thing either ..

but jumping over walls would be really fun.
I imagine them like the Marauders from Starcraft2.
Or Assault Marines.

Give your melee guys a sword, shield and jetpack .. and watch them slaughter the defenses.

mumblemumble

Neat concept, and... ...possible, but I'm unsure how you would balance it.

Or code it, since theres no z levels, and how can you determine if you can shoot a flier if under a roof, or not

Sounds like a headache, and not doable without z levels.

-----

SpaceDorf

Flyers can always be shot ..

The only thing what would be needed is to make walls "passable" for them.

BetaSpectre

Personally with drop pods, the lack of armor would make the users seem less than ideal for charges like space marines.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

mumblemumble

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 09, 2017, 09:24:09 PM
Flyers can always be shot ..

The only thing what would be needed is to make walls "passable" for them.

Ok, so heres a scenario :

A room, with a mortar hole in it, with people, and a flier coming towards the hole.

when can, and cannot, the troops fire at it? And how is this determined?

Or are you saying they can always shoot through ceilings?

theres a massive amount of math and geometry involved in doing this, with number that do not, yet, exist... So this would be a HUGE step

like I said, we need z levels first =P

-----

SpaceDorf

I have not thought about this scenario.

But it should be possible for the flyers to do that. And it would be pretty hard to implement it in rimworld. You are right about that.

But I think it still could be possible with the simple line of sight algorithm Rimworld uses.
But the more I think about it .. the cases keep on piling up ..

when passing over a unroofed wall, hittable from both sides of the wall
if passing over a roof, not hittable from below,
but from outside it becomes a problem because different angles are involved .. and here the problems start.

crap ... I want jetpacks so much ..

BetaSpectre

Is the point to have enemies use their jetpacks to circumnavigate colony defenses?

Spreadout mortars with some turrets, the lack of armor will make short work of them.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

SpaceDorf

For me Jetpacks are the point.

BetaSpectre

I think it would fit in more with a mod right now than a feature, drop pods kind of fill any role the jetpacks would have filled before hand, though it would be nice to have jetpacked power armor.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
                           TO WAR WE GO

giannikampa

Initial idea was just to give a way to let the legless move around and remove the penalty from the ground objects like chunks or mud or trees plus a bit of faster speed. But still they are reachable by a melee attack, don't ask me why they don't fly higher;
No Z-level involved (so no over the roofs seems doable). Still jumping over walls looks pretty badass toh! starcraft reaper is a very good example of what it coud be: just a jumping animation.. aaaaand you are over it. Maybe a single tile of roof on the inner or the outer of your perimeter walls would prevent troopers from getting in the base.

Problems to work on are basically the refuleing: I mean assaulting enemies would not have any over the tank of the jetpak they are wearing so they will end on their feet eventually, but can you figure your legless going for hauling and runnung out of fuel in the middle of the forest?

One more requisite would be having no hands to make it impossible to manage the jetpack.

Speaking of hands, i wolud not allow attacking while managing the jetpack, you have to land first, and it should mean a cooldown time. This seems logical and balancing at the same time.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english