[WIP]Spacedorf does Mad Science - Phase I : Mechanoid Madness

Started by SpaceDorf, March 09, 2017, 09:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Maxim 14 : "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"

The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries is a part of my favorite Sci-Fi Webcomic Schlock Mercenary by Howard Taylor

I always wanted to publish a mod, but I have not finished one yet, so I start this one as public project.

My goal for "Phase I : Mechanoids Madness" are Science Projects based on scavenging Mechanoid parts and use them to improve stuff throughout the colony.

On the List are :

Turrets ( boooring, but needed, based on Mechanoid Weapons )
Implants and Bodyparts ( more interesting, based on Mechanoid Body Parts )
Weapon and Armor Upgrades ( based on Mechanoid Parts and Materials )

.. and lets see where Science leads us from here.

I still wish for an Artist with some inclination towards Mechanoids.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

SpaceDorf

------ reserved for Phase II ----
Still looking for Names ..

Genepool Cannonball ,
Genepool Sursplice ,

SpaceDorf

------ reserved for Phase III ----
with infinity Power comes , ..
some other bad Power Cable pun ..

SpaceDorf

Granitecosmos

Are you still stuck on coming up with a proper name?  ;D

Your task isn't going to be a small one if you really want to do all that stuff. Some things you propose have already been partially implemented in other mods. Minigun turrets, scyther frames, steam hulls all come to mind. I hope you have some ideas to provide a unique alternative. You'll also need an artist or two for stuff you want to be wielded/worn/built.

As for a name, how about Robotic Reengineering? Although Mechanoid Madness isn't bad at all IMO.

SpaceDorf

Yes I know what I need, and I just have to put down my Ideas somewhere to keep them from rattling around in my brain.

I think my basic Ideas are quite unique and not done yet, but my workspeed is quite slow.

For the moment I am quite Happy with Mechanoid Madness and think this one will stay.

Like I said in the first post .. I don't promise a release.
My first try at modding made the rabbit hole stare back at me ..

Greep

Well if you're just starting modding you might want to start small.  It's not exactly expected that an artist will jump to do work for you, so you should plan as if you're going to have to do all that.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

SpaceDorf

I know .. work goes slowly, so the need for an actual artist is still far in the future ..

dethbeginsagain

The idea is sound so im hoping that this comes out, it seems like a very interesting project.

Jibbles

Still working on this? No rush, just curious.

I always feel guilty when I think about dabbling into mechanoids and anything involving glitter.  So I've been waiting for others to come up with something ha. But this idea sounds like something I would like to play. Depending how you're wanting to implement these lists of things, I think the mod is quite doable for first timer who's got some dedication.

Implants though.. I've never looked into doing them myself so I'm not sure how difficult that would be.. I'm also interested to know what exactly you mean by implanting the body parts. What would make these parts different from bionics?

If you plan to add more mechanoids than you can really make equipment upgrades and body parts interesting.  You actually solve or help a lot of issues that I have with late game if you're capable of doing this.

To make different tiers and types of mechanoids and have them appropriately spawn at the right time.. You would have to use these equipments you gain from mechanoids in order to fight and survive the next tier.  And since you throw in mechanoids that are pretty lethal late game, they don't need to spawn to the point where they cause lag to increase difficulty.  I'm getting ahead of myself. Just hope you haven't given up on the project and would like to know more  about it if you've changed plans since your last post. Sorry for the long post.

SpaceDorf

Haven't really done anything yet with it, but other mods do for part of it..

In my head it looked part like the luciferium production mod with prepared mechanoids to harves from
robots++ with usable reprogrammed mechanoids,
dropped mechanoid weapons and so on.

My Problem are some health problems which stop me from doing anything useful in modding at all, I am more interested in working on the space marine project again, for which I actually have done a lot.

My other problem is that I have about 15 pages of mod Ideas written down, that get bigger and more every time I look at them and I am a bit burned out on rimworld at the moment.

Jibbles

Sorry to hear about that.  Hope things get better for you. 

Space marine project sounds interesting and it's good to hear that you've tackled some of it down..  I'll have to keep an eye out for that one.