RW Moders we need you!

Started by Hydromancerx, March 10, 2017, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydromancerx

Hello I am from the Civ4 mod called "Caveman 2 Cosmos" our mod has been around for a long time now and we have one feature that has been hanging in limbo, "multimaps". Basically the ability to have more than one map in our game. One of our previous modders named Koshling started making it but failed to finish it. Our lead modder Thunderbrd has tried to take it on but it is beyond his skills. So we are looking to other modders from beyond Civ4. Perhaps your new eyes can help us achieve this long sought after feature in our mod.

Thank in Advance!

Multi-Map  Overview
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/modders-documentation.441325/page-3#post-12199585

Trouble We Are Having
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/multiple-maps-and-mapscripts.460023/page-9#post-14685203

RawCode

hard to estimate work amount and is it worth anything without existing sources.

please provide existing sources that previous team "failed to finish"

Granitecosmos

The real question is, is it really worth it?

Heavily modded Civ4 can take considerable amounts of time to end turns on bigger map sizes already. I'd assume your mod adds tons of stuff to the game already, right? Do you really want to add another entire map for the game to handle? 5 minutes long turn times, here we come!

It would be a cool feature though. Such a shame Civ4 is 32bit and practically single-threaded, especially after the release of that abomination called Civ5.

RawCode

you ask to make pretty complicated mod for you from scratch (there are no existing sources) and for completely different game (really?)

well, i can't say that such request is impossible, but, it's very very unlikely.

also what point of making mods for already dead game?

Granitecosmos

Quote from: RawCode on March 13, 2017, 05:55:35 AM

I'd argue that Civ4 won't die, at least not in the near-future since Civ5 was extremely "casualified" and didn't appeal for most Civ4 fans, and Civ6, although being an improvement from Civ5, still bears some fundamental flaws from it's predecessor.

There are several other games that suffered the fate of overly casual sequels. Supreme Commander comes to mind. These sequels simply don't appeal to the original playerbase therefore the majority of this playerbase either moves on to a similar game or stays if there isn't any proper alternative.

Hydromancerx

Quote from: Granitecosmos on March 12, 2017, 11:02:57 PM
The real question is, is it really worth it?

Heavily modded Civ4 can take considerable amounts of time to end turns on bigger map sizes already. I'd assume your mod adds tons of stuff to the game already, right? Do you really want to add another entire map for the game to handle? 5 minutes long turn times, here we come!

It would be a cool feature though. Such a shame Civ4 is 32bit and practically single-threaded, especially after the release of that abomination called Civ5.

We have a feature called "view ports" which loads smaller parts of the map to reduce lag. it use to be clunky and awkward where you had to use the military map to use the view port. But now it is seemless and you cannot even tell it is there since the viewport now moves with you and your view.

it basically turned really huge maps from unplayable to common place. I am not saying that having more than one map would not slow down the game at all but, if done right then it would only load whats in the view port no matter what map you were on.

In fact viewports were developed with multi-maps in mind in the first place to get around the huge lag. Its just multi-map progress stopped.

Quote from: Granitecosmos on March 13, 2017, 06:59:15 AM
Quote from: RawCode on March 13, 2017, 05:55:35 AM

I'd argue that Civ4 won't die, at least not in the near-future since Civ5 was extremely "casualified" and didn't appeal for most Civ4 fans, and Civ6, although being an improvement from Civ5, still bears some fundamental flaws from it's predecessor.

There are several other games that suffered the fate of overly casual sequels. Supreme Commander comes to mind. These sequels simply don't appeal to the original playerbase therefore the majority of this playerbase either moves on to a similar game or stays if there isn't any proper alternative.

Civ4 is alive and well. Heck even Civ3 is still going too. But Civ4 has a lot of modiblity which is keeping it alive. C2C is far from the only active Civ4 mod around still. It just happens to be the biggest most giantic of all Civ mods. It has really become its own game now that it barely resembles Civ4.

And too much has gone into it to change games now.