Being able to name Animals manually

Started by AteWithoutTable, March 10, 2017, 11:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AteWithoutTable

We can name Colonists.
Why can't we name animals?
It just takes to long for a bond to form, and for my colonists to actually name an animal, it just bugs me.
"Hey bob, whats the name of that thingy?"
"Oh you mean boom rat 1, or boom rat 2? what about boom rat 3?"
"Are we seriously calling them boomrat 1-2-3?"
"Yep."

O Negative

It's meant to add an element of storytelling, but I do agree that an option to nickname pets would be nice.

BlackSmokeDMax

Even if we can't rename all pets, at least renaming the named ones would be nice.

Ra_silk

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on March 10, 2017, 11:49:56 PM
Even if we can't rename all pets, at least renaming the named ones would be nice.
that would be nice, but I wouldn't use it very often. some of the names can be very endearing. I once had a rhino attack my tribe and we incapitated it. when healing it my doctor formed a bond with is and named him Mudpot. I actually cried when he died of his infection 2 minutes later. but sometimes it is annoying when you have a panther that has more kills then everyone combined, called Doug. (I refer to his true name killer killer the murder of death)

charkesd

the colonists get to pick the names why do you have to be so controlling

Shinzy

Quote from: Ra_silk on March 11, 2017, 09:31:58 AM
that would be nice, but I wouldn't use it very often. some of the names can be very endearing. I once had a rhino attack my tribe and we incapitated it. when healing it my doctor formed a bond with is and named him Mudpot. I actually cried when he died of his infection 2 minutes later. but sometimes it is annoying when you have a panther that has more kills then everyone combined, called Doug. (I refer to his true name killer killer the murder of death)

Doug's a good name for a panther, brent!

SpaceDorf

Then how about nicknames or displayed names.
Minion Baby 56 is really boring.

But I agree with Shinzy . Doug is a great anticlimatic name for a killer.
Remember Binky. The most awesome horse ever.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

grrizo

Doug is a cool name for a killer panther. Same with a little kitty called "Maniac".
The things starts to get confusing when someone names a pet as "Animal". Seriously? Nothing better to came up with? That heatstroke may be worse than I imagined, after all.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

AngleWyrm

that would be nice, but I wouldn't use it very often. some of the names can be very endearing.

Today one of my guys tamed a ThrumboGirl, she nuzzled him, and he named her Rosaline.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

The Man with No Name

It's a bit odd that I can rename - or give a nickname to - human colonists, but not animals and pets. I don't want my labrador to have a terrible name like "Jagged" - I want her to have an excellent name, like "Ludo".

-----------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Also, I'd like to use honorific titles for my cats. So "Mr Wilson", rather than "Wilson".

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - I have merged this with an existing thread for the same suggestion.

Mitz

Quote from: AteWithoutTable on March 10, 2017, 11:32:09 PM
We can name Colonists.
Why can't we name animals?
*snip*
So...
i took a while to make a map to show my ideas.
what if, any names in the database, and ones you name yourself, will be in a database you can pull from? like searching supporter names to be cameos as colonists? why not be able to name animals customly and then use those names for other animals? so you can tell which animals are fighters and which are bonded. i mean, i wouldn't mind going into debug to name animals, because reasons. i want to have a warg army with them all named "bob". sounds good? well, here's my idea map!

sorry if it's large. so sorry.
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.

DariusWolfe

I can go either way on this particular feature request, but what bugs me is how long it takes to name things sometimes. Dogs and cats (pets) tend to get names pretty quickly, but I had a dromedary for a couple of years before I finally used the Dev Console to prompt a name change.