Caravan makes trading too easy?

Started by Shurp, March 11, 2017, 07:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So in my most recent game I got clever and parked my colony directly adjacent to a townie settlement.  It takes 3 hours for my trader to walk over there with a pile of silver, and another 3 hours for her to walk home with 50 plasteel.  This seems... too easy?  Considering that we have to wait centuries for caravans or orbital traders to visit, but it seems like I can just walk next door and sell/buy as much as I like.

Do settlements run out if you visit them too often?  I'm just wondering if I have any reason to travel to the other towns or if I can keep milking this one forever.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

O Negative

Quote from: Shurp on March 11, 2017, 07:33:03 PM
So in my most recent game I got clever and parked my colony directly adjacent to a townie settlement.  It takes 3 hours for my trader to walk over there with a pile of silver, and another 3 hours for her to walk home with 50 plasteel.  This seems... too easy?  Considering that we have to wait centuries for caravans or orbital traders to visit, but it seems like I can just walk next door and sell/buy as much as I like.

Do settlements run out if you visit them too often?  I'm just wondering if I have any reason to travel to the other towns or if I can keep milking this one forever.

I'm pretty sure their stock is randomly generated every now and again. You can't keep going back to the same one and expect to see anything new right away. At least, that's how it's been in my experiences.

Wanderer_joins

Think of A15, when you could call as many trade caravans as you could afford, and suddenly you realize things are much more balanced.

But I guess it'll change, maybe these bases shouldn't be permanent, or you should discover them moving around your colony on the world map or you couldn't settle next to faction bases.

Limdood

i remember reading that settlements change stock every 2 seasons.

Shurp

Ahhh, that's good to hear, that puts some reason to go walking longer distances.

Hmmm, but I'm annoyed that I'm going to have power armor before my devilstrand crops mature.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

MisterSpock

There should be at least a prevent settlement radius around other settlements. Its too easy to trade.

I get 6 pills of wakeup and 2 assault rifles on day 1!!!

BetaSpectre

Most areas have a perimeter, if some guys built a house on my land near mine I'd be miffed.

This would be fixed if there were faction zones. Multiple hexes around settlements that belong to a faction, and only go away if the settlement is takenout. As long as a zone exists it would prevent settlement.

Would be nice if these zones had higher encounter rates.

A person can also abuse enemy factions by settling next to one, blowing a hole and running off with the chems/food.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO