Payment Issue

Started by SurvivoroftheNoobs, March 13, 2017, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurvivoroftheNoobs

Not sure what the problem is. I bought rimworld ages ago when it just came out of Kickstarter. I've been playing it on steam since the day it came out on it. But now no matter what I do steam won't let me play it until I buy it again through steam for full price. Its acting like I never bought it. I have a steam key and almost 900hrs on steam yet it says I never bought it in the first place. Contacted steam they said I never bought it. Yet I used a steam key to download it feel like I'm being scammed.

Calahan

Well that sounds very odd. I can only take a guess as to what happened, and that would be that you say you've been playing the game on Steam since it came out on Steam, and that you had/have a Steam key. From this I assume that you got your key from the original system that was in place for DRM-free owners to claim their Steam key. If so, then unfortunately there were some problems with this system that resulted in some people getting duplicate keys, and/or some people getting their keys sold on dodgy key re-selling sites by fraudsters. Which is why the system was taken down for a while until it could be replaced with a new one.

So my best educated guess is that you were one of the unfortunate people whose Steam key got duplicated and sold on to someone, and it's only now that someone has tried using that key, or Steam has noticed people are using identical keys, and they have invalidated these keys as a result. Including your key. I could be entirely wrong with my guess, but that's the only scenario that makes sense to me (from the info provided).

As to what you can do to resolve this, two things immediately spring to mind:- (the third would be to contact Steam customer support, but you've already done that)

1 - Try claiming your Steam copy via the new system https://ludeon.com/rimworld/getmygame/ . If that works then you should be able to play the game via Steam again (although I assume your playtime will be wiped, and/or any mods you were subscribed to).

2 - If the above fails (which it might if you've already used your email to claim a Steam key), then your next course of action would be to contact Michael at RimWorld support [email protected] , and explain your problem to him.

Hope you manage to get this resolved.

milon

I haven't heard of this issue happening before, but I agree with Calahan's assessment & solution. Please keep us informed! We want to make sure it gets resolved, and I want​ to know how to help anyone else who encounters this.

SurvivoroftheNoobs

Took awhile but the problem was traced back to Steam. I tried using the new system to reclaim my steam key but that wasn't working. I was gonna contact the Rimworld support but figured I would try Steam support again. Eventually I was able to show them I  bought it from SendOwl. From what I was told a lot of people who had my similar problem just provided their proof of purchase using the SendOwl emails. They sorted it out and reinstated my game apologies and all. I don't know if that's a good way of doing it but it worked for me with little to no hassle.

milon

Great! And good to know. Thanks for the update.