Too much beavers?

Started by Jan2607, March 14, 2017, 10:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I had now 3 runs since A16 release and in every colony I had beavers every few days. This is the most occuring incident actually.
First, I thought it's just unluck, but it happened in all 3 runs in the same frequency.
It's a little bit annoying. Is there something wrong with the probabilty of beaver incidents in this version?

b0rsuk

Really ? I'm in a rainforest before my first winter, and I had 3 alphabeaver events already.

Rimworld needs a larger vocabulary.

johiah

I had a temperate forest run a year in and no beavers. Just RNG
"My best warden has no jaw"

milon

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 14, 2017, 11:01:26 AM

This.  We just need more possible events in general, IMO.

b0rsuk

Quote from: milon on March 14, 2017, 11:33:58 AM

If we just bully Tynan into adding more events, many of them are going to feel repetitive. Events are more fun if they make use of some new systems.

What we could do right now is think how to make some old events more relevant. How could we make players care about trees ? Thrumbo / Alphabeaver war, pick your side ?

In general I think it's too easy to wall off and build a fortress. Too easy to build, too easy to maintain. But that's not all. There aren't enough incentives to see sunlight. The map is not interesting. No fishing, minerals can be mined and forgotten about. Farming doesn't use all that much space, and farms can be completely walled off.

Aerial

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 14, 2017, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: milon on March 14, 2017, 11:33:58 AM

If we just bully Tynan into adding more events, many of them are going to feel repetitive. Events are more fun if they make use of some new systems.

What we could do right now is think how to make some old events more relevant. How could we make players care about trees ? Thrumbo / Alphabeaver war, pick your side ?

In general I think it's too easy to wall off and build a fortress. Too easy to build, too easy to maintain. But that's not all. There aren't enough incentives to see sunlight. The map is not interesting. No fishing, minerals can be mined and forgotten about. Farming doesn't use all that much space, and farms can be completely walled off.

Interestingly, in my last few games I've come to loathe thrumbos.  The first thrumbo to come through invariably sets up in my fields for a few days and eats all the crops.  And that's even in a forest biome where there are plenty of trees to eat.  Since it's early game, I'm not equipped to take on a thrumbo so there's nothing I can do about it.  It's like blight, only slower and more unicorn-like...

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: Aerial on March 14, 2017, 01:00:53 PMInterestingly, in my last few games I've come to loathe thrumbos.  The first thrumbo to come through invariably sets up in my fields for a few days and eats all the crops.  And that's even in a forest biome where there are plenty of trees to eat.  Since it's early game, I'm not equipped to take on a thrumbo so there's nothing I can do about it.  It's like blight, only slower and more unicorn-like...

Try walling off your fields. Neutral animals won't enter your doors.

Aerial

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on March 14, 2017, 01:33:57 PM
Quote from: Aerial on March 14, 2017, 01:00:53 PMInterestingly, in my last few games I've come to loathe thrumbos.  The first thrumbo to come through invariably sets up in my fields for a few days and eats all the crops.  And that's even in a forest biome where there are plenty of trees to eat.  Since it's early game, I'm not equipped to take on a thrumbo so there's nothing I can do about it.  It's like blight, only slower and more unicorn-like...

Try walling off your fields. Neutral animals won't enter your doors.

Early game.  I don't necessarily have walls up for anything but a freezer at that point.  Walling off crops is a long way down the priority list.

milon

Sorry everyone, I think my post started a derail. Let's not stray too far off topic here (which is Alphabeavers & event RNG).  If someone wants to make a new thread regarding new event ideas, please post a link here to the new thread.

Aerial

Sorry!  (I helped with the derail.)

I agree alphabeavers seem to show up a lot, though I've had several games in A16 where I haven't seen any, or maybe one, occurrence so it feels pretty random to me.  I do feel like I get them a lot on boreal forest and not so much on other map types, but that's probably just my limited data set rather than an actual bias in the code.

Serenity

They can be a nice food source, but there are certain stretches in a game where they show up a lot.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Serenity on March 14, 2017, 04:39:08 PM
They can be a nice food source, but there are certain stretches in a game where they show up a lot.
I just send a guy out with a shotgun, and it's free meat!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Shurp

Quote from: Aerial on March 14, 2017, 01:39:23 PM
Early game.  I don't necessarily have walls up for anything but a freezer at that point.  Walling off crops is a long way down the priority list.

Are you on a map with trees?  Walling off crops to keep out rabbits, deer, and other animals wanting to eat your crops is pretty basic.  Don't forget to designate it a "no roof zone" otherwise your colonists will block out the sun.

Not sure why you are rushing to build a freezer.  The survival rations you start with will last you several days under a roof.  (Ditto for starting pemmican).  Walling off your crops only takes a few hours.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

Also vegetables absolutely don't need a freezer early on. Berries spoil the fastest and they still take a month I think !  Do you set up fine meal production early on ?

Aerial

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 14, 2017, 06:14:31 PM
Also vegetables absolutely don't need a freezer early on. Berries spoil the fastest and they still take a month I think !  Do you set up fine meal production early on ?

I try to since it's an easy source of mood bonus to have meals and a table.  My whining about the thrumbo was only that.  It's only be the last three or so games where the first thrumbo to come through has, invariably, set up camp in the middle of my fields and eaten all the crops.  When you've only got a 20-day growing cycle, that can be kind of annoying.  But I'd never had it happen before or had any significant losses due to animal grazing so putting up walls (especially wooden when I play with climate cycle and get lots of dry thunderstorms) wasn't high on my priority list.