my Tribal's can't throw torches to start fires???

Started by Swat_Raptor, March 14, 2017, 02:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swat_Raptor

So I don't know why this isn't already a thing because it makes a lot of sense.

but why can't tribal colonist throw torches to start fires? I know that tribal raiders can start fires, but if you are doing a tribal start and you don't start with Molotov cocktails then you have no way that I can see to start fires. does it really make sense that we can't craft something to start fires just because we choose a tribal start, they can craft torches we just need to teach them to pick them up and throw them.

milon

I don't think that's been suggested before (not that I read this subforum much).

Why would you need that though? Sounds like an OP ranged attack.

RemingtonRyder

You can only buy or loot molotovs. Tribal colonies have the same chance as industrial colonies to buy or loot molotovs. What is even the problem?

SpaceDorf

Well, I think Molotovs should be researchable and be crafted early on ..
In a mixed tech environment like Rimworld a Molotov is the easiest and
most common type of grenade there is.
Should be easily craftable on a brewing table.

And in addition I would like if the Weaponslist for Tribal attacks would include Stuff like that.
Molotovs, old Pistols, Crappy Assaults Rifles mixed with Bows and Clubs, Swords and Knives.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

bobucles

Molotovs are pretty sweet weapons, but why would you want them? They do far more harm to all your stuff than anything else.

RemingtonRyder

SpaceDorf

Quote from: bobucles on March 14, 2017, 08:56:32 PM
Molotovs are pretty sweet weapons, but why would you want them? They do far more harm to all your stuff than anything else.

Doesn't that sound like !!FUN!! ??

Honestly, I want those in the Hands of Tribals, not for myself.

O Negative

To be fair, now that we can raid other factions I think it's fair that we have the same tools at our disposal. If they can set my little square (hex?) on fire why can't I do the same to them?

It would also be useful for domestic needs as well. I don't know about anybody else, but when I'm playing in a Forrest biome, I tend to end up with a huge surplus of wood that just takes up space. Being able to put all that wood in a stockpile and just burn it would be great.

I feel like the main reservation devs (Tynan & friends) might have about giving us this power revolves around how easy it would be to exploit and circumvent current game mechanics.

For instance, why would I need to make a crematorium if I can just light corpses on fire? For me, the answer is obviously a preferably controlled, safe and small environment. Setting up a corpse burning stockpile is costly, but would be way more efficient with respect to labor.

There's also the known issue with people creating heatstroke killboxes...

On the other hand, it's not hard to acquire a Molotov, as has been mentioned. They're just more unpredictable.

I'll live if we never get the ability to set fires manually, but it would still be nice :)

milon

A throwable torch is just a tribal-themed Molotov, so I don't see much gained there. But what if a burning torch (crafted with Wood at a campfire) could be used as a melee weapon that deals heat damage too? It would likely have to have a limited lifespan to keep from being too OP.

SpaceDorf

And burning arrows and catapults with pots of oil.. and cows .. and .. boomalopes.
Lets get medieval !!!

------ EDIT

and there is the solution : trained boomrats.

Swat_Raptor

The power of Fire is strong on Rimworld

Yea I just tried my hand at a heat stroke trap after I made this topic post and wow, these traps are easier to manage than I thought they would be. Thou isn't this just a refined version of using heat stroke to combat infestations? But in reality I think that while the stone walls perhaps would easily survive a fire but roofing is another matter. Roofing often incorporates non stone elements, wooden support beams and insulation are a few examples. Perhaps when the air is super heated then there should be a chance for it to collapse constructed roofing.

My thought to have a simple tribal flame weapon was as a way early way to give colonist the basic limited ability to light something aflame either in a melee fashion or a ranged one, thou melee would probably be better.

I still think that its a bad argument to say that Players shouldn't have the ability to craft flame weapons because it lessens the value of campfires and crematoriums trash burning function, well that is something that is going to happen anyway when by raider or trader you gain access to a Molotov or incendiary launcher. or you can just use grenades to destroy trash as well.

But I do see the points that as useful as fire is why should there be more access to it. My question is that why is access to these flame weapons determined by if traders or raider have brought them onto the map, this is just leaving it largely to a roll of the dice.

as far as why shouldn't there be Neolithic-Medieval-Industrial+ versions of Flame weapons, I don't see why there shouldn't be, creating fire was a pre-neolithic technique.

Lurmey

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 17, 2017, 06:58:33 AM
And burning arrows and catapults with pots of oil.. and cows .. and .. boomalopes.
Lets get medieval !!!

------ EDIT

and there is the solution : trained boomrats.
I'm so sorry but I just can't help but point this out:
Flaming arrows never worked and so were never used in battle. Today we might be able to get an arrow to stay burning during flight using petroleum or another highly flammable material, but they never used them in medieval times. (Didn't stop them from trying to invent them, though!)

b0rsuk

If you start as a Colony (Crashlanded) or Lone Explorer, you can't throw torches either.

Burning arrows:

1) At some point people knew Greek Flame. Maybe they used similar substances.
2) I could ignite remote targets with a medieval bow and arrows as long as the arrowheads were made of iron. Simply... put the tips of the arrows in a campfire. When the iron is red hot, it WILL ignite wood or thatched huts.

Also, what about putting charcoal on the tip ? A red hot charcoal wouldn't go out, quite the opposite it would get a steady supply of fresh oxygen.

Jstank

The glitter tech mod has fire based rifles that set pawns on fire when they get hit. They are super OP because when a pawn is on fire they start running around uncontrollably with their hair on fire. I think melee fire weapons would be very op as well.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux