Centralizing our translation efforts in a GitHub project

Started by Tynan, April 16, 2014, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I think the translation process would benefit from being organized in a GitHub project for all language translations together. This project would contain a folder for every non-English language.

One person would have moderator control over the central repo. Community translators would clone the repo, add or improve languages, and issue pull requests. Then the moderator accepts or rejects the changes. When I make a build, I'll pull the repo into the game and get the latest approved version of all non-English languages.

This way, we don't have duplicate translations and work happening all over the Internet. There would be one version of each language, and any user can submit changes to it.

What do you all think? Is anyone willing to moderate the central git repo for this on GitHub?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TheEisbaer

Will there be moderators for each language? If yes I'd like to be the german moderator :D

Tynan

Quote from: TheEisbaer on April 16, 2014, 06:01:26 PM
Will there be moderators for each language? If yes I'd like to be the german moderator :D

I think it'd be theoretically best if there was one moderator for everything. However, the problem with this is that one person can't speak all languages. So it might be best to have separate projects.

Open for discussion.

TheEisbaer

Yep that was my thought, I don't think there is ONE person who plays this game who can speak german,polish,russian,french etc :)

Neone

Excellent idea :D I'm already working with repository on translation - easy to find changes made by Tynan.

As of moderators, I think it will be better to have a moderator for each language.

Central moderator will only check for code integrity, and only in his language for translation accuracy and integrity (which is very important - nothing more annoying than one thing translated differently in two separate places).

However, central moderator to check code integrity is not a bad idea, but who will take the job?

I of course can take Polish.

CivvyThePanda

Seems great!
I'd be fine with being a moderator for French, but if a global moderator is needed, I speak fluently in French and English, I'm quite good with Spanish and I know a tiny bit of Mandarin Chinese. I also know the basics of German.

A moderator for each section would be good, but a central moderator would definitely be needed to check the syntax and code integrity, as Neone said.

Tynan

Is anyone experienced with git and GitHub? Specifically submodules?

Second question, is anyone willing to set up the GitHub projects for these? I suppose we could just let people set up their own as well.

CivvyThePanda

I'm experimented with both, but I'm not that good with submodules. I learn fast tho.

EDIT : I could set up the Github repos no prob.

TheEisbaer

Tynan

Ok well, the submodule thing might not really be necessary. I could easily write a script to pull from all the repos during the build process.

Tynan

Civvy could you start and set up GitHub projects for French and German then?  If you're up for moderating this, of course.

Let's start with those two and expand this effort bit by bit as we get the hang of it.

These will have to be open-source projects under a license that lets Ludeon take the translations and put them in the game for free and forever.

I'll also ask to have admin rights on all the projects in case I need to change something.

EDIT: I think for now we should give the primary translators for these languages full rights over their respective projects. So for German, TheEisbaer and Haplo have full rights. For French, Ermantis and Hiztaar.

Neone

I use GH but never with submodules. And I'm used to BB.

CivvyThePanda

I'm setting up the two projects at the moment. Il'll give you admin rights as soon as I'm done.
EDIT : What license should be used? I'm thinking an Apache v2 or a GPL v2. If translations can be considered as code.
EDIT2 : Actually, I didn't select a license for now, Il'll wait until we're sure about it.

CivvyThePanda

The repos/projects are all set up. I just need the GitHub usernames of the German translators and Hiztaar's one too. I was able to find Ermantis, tho. I gave you (Tynan) admin rights too.

TheEisbaer