Centralizing our translation efforts in a GitHub project

Started by Tynan, April 16, 2014, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CivvyThePanda

Oh, sorry, didn't see it the first time! Added you to the repo.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

CivvyThePanda

I pushed the latest version of the German translation. Il'll take care of the French one right now.

CivvyThePanda

Whoops. Pushed the German translation to the French repo accidentally. Will remove it right now.
EDIT : Fixed it.
EDIT2 : Had a few more problems with it. I'm just fixing everything, should be ready soon.

CivvyThePanda

There! Everything is set up!
I just need Hiztaar's and Haplo's GitHub usernames and we are good to go.

TheEisbaer

I think Haplo won't reply the next ~4h+ because its 2am here in germany :D
-

I quick-teached myself github, never used it before o.O :)

Haplo

I have the Username: HaploX1
And yeah, it's nearly 7am here.. Do you need such difficult questions this early in the morning?
I needed to make an account and am not sure what part of my soul I've sold to do this ;)

GlobusGames

It is better to make an organization or what do they call it, I guess. Every translation in one place.
Hello there!

CivvyThePanda

There, Haplo, added you to the repo. Do you know how to use Git?

Haplo

Not yet, but I use tortoise at work and I think I'll figure out how it works soon.
But if you have some pointers, I'll really appreciate it (This way I don't have to search too long) ;)

CivvyThePanda

Well for beginners, the best option is to use the GitHub app, which can be downloaded from their website. It is best to learn command-line Git as fast as possible, tho, since the desktop app is quite restriced.
I learned Git by using this http://try.github.io. It's an interactive tutorial. And it has octocats. Just make sure to follow it from start to finish, since you will need all commands presented there.

Neone

I personally use Git Extensions - it's a graphical extension for Git. Quite easy to use - don't need to remember commands. And if you need to do something more complex (and for purpose of translation I don't think you will) git is ofc included.

Tynan

Just a note that AcDie apparently made another group of GitHub projects for RW translations recently. Since this was done without any prior community discussion or contact with me, I'm going to stick to endorsing the original projects for now (at least until we have public consensus).

It would probably be a good idea to add more languages and link them together into a group some day, but we need to have a discussion and agreement about it first. I applaud the effort, but the basics of community process have to be followed.

Comments on this welcome.

CivvyThePanda

Hey,
Should I start creating new repos for the other translations?

Tynan

Quote from: CivvyThePanda on April 17, 2014, 04:50:29 PM
Hey,
Should I start creating new repos for the other translations?

That's all right, I'd like to let this be decentralized for now. Meaning that repos will be made by the first person to start an given language. See the sticky thread for more info.