World Map - Ruined Cities

Started by Snownova, March 15, 2017, 02:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snownova

So me and some people on Reddit were talking and it would be really cool if in addition to all the towns and camps on the world map, there would also be Ruins marked on the map.

These ruins would have an associated tech level (tribal, industrial, glitter) and would be the ruins of bases or even entire cities.

When you visit these ruins you can loot the stuff there (type of loot determined by tech level), but the ruins will often be infested with bugs, mechanoids or swarms of manhunter animals.

Perhaps over time there could be random events that turn existing towns on the map into ruins, with a notification as to what caused their demise.

Shinzy

mechanoid hives :p

Edit: there was someone working on a mod to add points of interes such as the Red Rocket in fallout etc. but I don't know what came of it. Anyway! I definitely would like to see something like this in the base game eventually

b0rsuk

And instead of making fairly involved algorithms that generate such cities, you can automatically gather colony savegames from players then run some post-processing on them.

klopkr

Jstank

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 15, 2017, 09:53:18 PM
And instead of making fairly involved algorithms that generate such cities, you can automatically gather colony savegames from players then run some post-processing on them.

YES!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DavyBobby

grinch

milon

Swat_Raptor

yea I would be cool to have more reasons to travel around and explore other tiles. or possibly to move.

SpaceDorf

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT KILLBOX NOW ?!?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Rahjital

That would be amazing, and also a real headache on Tynan's part. You would need a server and assorted architecture, backup measures for when the server is down, reliable and fast upload/download even for players with slow connections, and so on.

Then you launch Alpha 20, and full of hype you send a caravan to an abandoned town. The shape of the city is strangely reminiscent of something... You search through the ruins and find the sarcophagi of the last four inhabitants. Apparently, their names were Hitler, Did, Nothing, Wrong.

(in other words, there may be a slight issue with curation (: )

Granitecosmos

Anything that adds things to make caravans more interesting in a good way is a welcome addition at this point. I would love to see more points of interests on the world map, preferably with associated events with reaction choices and randomized outcomes. Just don't punish the player too hard in case of a bad outcome; we need a reasonable risk/reward system.

Albionthegreat