[A16] Poll: What difficulty do you play on?

Started by Rah, March 17, 2017, 09:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What difficulty do you play on?

Storyteller: Cassandra
60 (38%)
Storyteller: Phoebe
13 (8.2%)
Storyteller: Randy
66 (41.8%)
Peaceful
0 (0%)
Base builder
2 (1.3%)
Some challenge
25 (15.8%)
Rough
58 (36.7%)
Intense
31 (19.6%)
Extreme
43 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Rah

Hi guys. Pick your storyteller and difficulty. And try to be honest ! Feel free to state below why you play with that specific storyteller / difficulty.

MajorMonotone

I usually play Rough because while I do like a difficulty increase I'm not really okay with any of the negatives of the difficulty increases other than more frequent/powerful raids. It sucks to have my colonists be miserable just because of the difficulty setting.

XeoNovaDan

I generally use both Cassandra and Randy on either Intense or Extreme (mood-dependent when starting new colony). Always Permadeath either way. Put myself down for Randy and Intense as I still play Intense for a significant amount of time (roughly 10-55-35 distribution for rough-intense-extreme difficulties)

I always used to start off with Rough when I first played as I liked a challenge, gradually got the hang of that. I play Intense if I don't feel like making a killzone setup, otherwise it's Extreme nowadays. I only start colonies on Rough currently with Hardcore SK as I haven't really familiarised with it (although performance is offputting), or if I feel like simply taking it easy.

Belgord

Randy rough for me. I spent I long time cassandra Base builder but now I learned to stop worrying and love the atomic bomb....as my "skill" (I use that word in a very broad sense) increases I will eventually make it to extreme. And permadeath only.

Edit:spelling mistake

A Friend

Cassandra Intense, I like a challenge without going full masochist.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Catt

Randy or Cassandra extreme. I use extended weaponry and a bunch of other mods so I have access to RPGs and the like which makes the game easier.

Rah

surprising to see so many randy players. I would've thought most would pick cassandra, because shes the default one, but maybe the forum users are different. keep voting, interesting results ! this helps the modders as well, because we get to balance the mods better based on how most people play.

GiantSpaceHamster

The poll restrictions prevent me from answering this poll accurately/completely.

I play on both "Some Challenge" and "Rough" most of the time, but occasionally up it to "Extreme". Always Cassandra.

Rah

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on March 17, 2017, 04:02:45 PM
The poll restrictions prevent me from answering this poll accurately/completely.

I play on both "Some Challenge" and "Rough" most of the time, but occasionally up it to "Extreme". Always Cassandra.
That's ok, just pick the one you are most comfortable with. The poll would be way too big if I were to include all the different options.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: Rah on March 17, 2017, 04:13:59 PM

That's ok, just pick the one you are most comfortable with. The poll would be way too big if I were to include all the different options.

But all the options are there, why restrict it to choosing two? What value does that add?

Shurp

I don't play Cassandra because her raids are incessant and brutal.  Randy, simply put, is easier.  He scatters random events all over instead of days of boredom punctuated by a blizzard of disasters.

Also the popcap on Randy is higher and I'm hoping someday to have a colony with more than half a dozen people.  (That I keep executing people who try to join makes this difficult)

I play on Intense because, well, it seems to work out.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Rah

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on March 17, 2017, 06:02:06 PM
Quote from: Rah on March 17, 2017, 04:13:59 PM

But all the options are there, why restrict it to choosing two? What value does that add?
I understand what you mean now. The reason it's two is so that people can choose their storyteller and their preferred difficulty. I want to see 1 difficulty vote per person or else the results will be a bit inaccurate and hard to analyze.

Quote from: Shurp on March 17, 2017, 06:50:27 PM
I don't play Cassandra because her raids are incessant and brutal.  Randy, simply put, is easier.  He scatters random events all over instead of days of boredom punctuated by a blizzard of disasters.

Also the popcap on Randy is higher and I'm hoping someday to have a colony with more than half a dozen people.  (That I keep executing people who try to join makes this difficult)

I play on Intense because, well, it seems to work out.
I agree that Cassandra can be ridiculous at times, especially on the two highest difficulties. Sometimes you won't get any time to recover from a major disaster / event until the next one slams into you like a truck. Turtling is pretty much mandatory, and you need a good dose of luck in the early game. Randy is nicer for sure.

By the way, how much plasteel would you say you have on average after about 2 years with Randy?

Greep

Randy mostly for the lulz and the popcap.  Is he really easier though?  Been a while since I've played cassy, but I sure as heck don't remember week 3 psychic ships and simultaneous raids on week 1.  I think there might be less total amounts of raids, but the hard parts really hit like a truck.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

dragonalumni

TBH, I think this poll is a bit .. incomplete. First of all, the use of mods, usually changes a games difficulty quite a bit. From what I can see a lot of people are using advanced turrets, armors and cleaning bots. I would propose that such mods reduce the difficulty level quite a bit.

Also, I'm really curious why nobody uses Phoebe, isn't she more or less a less bipolar version of Max? (Max is easy to.. circumnavigate.. if you are not playing iron man style)

Rah

Quote from: dragonalumni on March 17, 2017, 08:51:48 PM
TBH, I think this poll is a bit .. incomplete. First of all, the use of mods, usually changes a games difficulty quite a bit. From what I can see a lot of people are using advanced turrets, armors and cleaning bots. I would propose that such mods reduce the difficulty level quite a bit.

Also, I'm really curious why nobody uses Phoebe, isn't she more or less a less bipolar version of Max? (Max is easy to.. circumnavigate.. if you are not playing iron man style)
There's no way to not let people with mods vote though, so I'm not sure what you mean by incomplete. I could add a bunch of new options for mod players, but that would clutter up the poll significantly. Some mods probably make the game a bit easier, but I don't think it's a big enough factor to mess up the accuracy of a poll like this.