[A16] Poll: What difficulty do you play on?

Started by Rah, March 17, 2017, 09:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What difficulty do you play on?

Storyteller: Cassandra
60 (38%)
Storyteller: Phoebe
13 (8.2%)
Storyteller: Randy
66 (41.8%)
Peaceful
0 (0%)
Base builder
2 (1.3%)
Some challenge
25 (15.8%)
Rough
58 (36.7%)
Intense
31 (19.6%)
Extreme
43 (27.2%)

Total Members Voted: 158

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Rah on March 19, 2017, 05:08:00 PM
Quote from: TheMeInTeam on March 19, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
I started cas/intense, but after learning about joy scheduling and mood manipulation I moved up to extreme.  I occasionally do Randy, but he has that tendency to do nothing for long stretches or scale early game strangely (by design due to random nature).  I find only the most wonky Randy combo smacks give a harder challenge than Cas progression.

That's my experience with Randy Extreme as well. I never feel like the game is unfair when I play with him. He usually let's you breathe a little and build up after major events. Cassandra Extreme on the other hand just throws everything at you, almost right from the start and never let's up. I've lost many colonies to her, but there are things you can do to hold on during the early game. Defense is critical; I always turtle up in a small compound with traps and turrets, with stone walls. Mood management and a restrictive intake of colonists are other important factors.

Btw, is this the Meinteam from youtube, with the civ videos?

It's the same TMIT, yes :).  I've bounced around after civ 5 ---> civ 6 were a bit disappointing.  Recently I finally bothered to pick up 3 mountains in EU 4 and have been doing Madden.  I want to get back into youtube, but lost my HOMM 5 footage and can never seem to find the energy to get going with it again.

This game was a good month+ diversion from EU for sure, and made me remember what some good UI aspects can be like.  It has kinks you'd expect in an alpha, but the game itself is ahead of many release titles.  I'll be coming back to it here and there in the future and following its progression.  Unless civ 6 brings up UI standards I've probably already put more time in this than I will in that.  Even deity is easy in civ these days, I remember back when I was a psuedo filthy casul in civ because it actually punished mistakes :p.

makkenhoff

I do a mix of peaceful or extreme. Phoebe is my typical storyteller. Sometimes, I just don't want to fight endless waves.

Greep

Quote from: Fellbourne on March 22, 2017, 11:00:56 PM
I know I don't need that much uranium, i'm just buying as a silver sink and to make a grand uranium statue for laughs,  traders often dont have enough silver for everything I want to sell, not that i need it bc my stockpiles are always overflowing with silver anyway, that's why I make silver grand statues and crap and waste thrumbo fur on chairs.

Turns out large statues are just 1x1. So if you're cramming wealth, 4 large statues is more dense than one grand :D
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Greep on March 23, 2017, 03:01:28 AM
So if you're cramming wealth ...

Quote from: l2evy on April 10, 2016, 03:44:35 AM
    Storage Crates is a mod focused on compact and neat stockpiling of bulk resources.
    The basic structure of the mod is you build some plates, then assemble the plates plus your stack of 75
    of any resource (500 for gold/silver) and produce the crate.

You then can stack the crates in a stockpile like any other item and they stack to 75.
    For a total of 5625 of a non-currency resource on a single tile.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Rah

@TheMeInTeam, awesome. I used to watch your Civ 4 videos a lot. Very informative ! But yeah, I'm not happy about the newer Civ games either. Like many other games of today they've become too easy and dumbed down, which is unfortunate for such an epic series. Anyway, cool to see you here !

@Fellbourne, interesting read. It's very rare I hear someone say RBSE is too easy, but I understand where you're coming from having played a lot of Cassandra games myself. The original hardcore version was actually nerfed a bit due to people complaining about the high costs, which is also why I added the Lite version. But like you said, you are probably in a small minority given your playtime and experience with the game, but I might add another version of RBSE for the people like yourself. I've been playing around with the thought. Thanks for the feedback !

Syrchalis

I personally started with some challenge, because I was new and with that I thought I could fail. Whenever you can actually fail it is a lot more fun. A lesson learned from the 2005-2010 period where game developers made everything super easy, thinking it would sell well (then came Dark Souls and made it obvious that that is BS).

I mostly used Phoebe at the start because she obviously is the storyteller for new players. I later switched to Cassandra, hoping she would make for better gameplay, but the opposite was true. She is so predictable yet her raids are just too harsh. When I have 4-5 colonists with nothing but the starting weapons she throws 6 enemies with shields and LMG/Assault Rifles at me.

In one of my tribe playthroughs I faced two ARs literally the second tiny raid, where they have only clubs and shivs usually. However, due to 5vs2 I killed them and then had those ARs for myself which made the harsh raids afterwards very manageable.

Now I'm playing a jungle tribe game with Randy Random on Rough. I feel like rough is too easy, but intense throws these brutal raids at you, it becomes an arms race instead of building your colony and I want a bit of both.

So far I enjoy Randy Random.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

EnricoDandolo

On a recent play through I was a year in, and I switched from Cassandra to Phoebe every once and a while because the game kept throwing 20 tribal at me before my fourth turret was even up.

Jarwy

Cass - Rough. I do not, however, powergame my pawn choises or colonies. Not really interested in playing tower defense. I find Randy to be way too lenient more often than not, but he is good for a game every now and then.

Jarwy

Quote from: Shurp on March 18, 2017, 08:43:43 AM
Exactly the problem, I don't want to be hit hard.  I want lots of little hits instead.  That way if I screw something up my base isn't obliterated.

In girlfriend terms, Randy slaps you in the face every day, Cassandra hits you upside the head with a frying pan now and then, and Phoebe stabs you in the back with a bread knife.

Is that how Randy is for you? For me he is like; "Oh you had such a rough time with that 3 man raid, take a few months off and have all these supplies from space. My treat!" He is random indeed.