Lags alot.

Started by DoomAngelBlade, October 28, 2013, 11:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoomAngelBlade

At 40+ colonists your game.... Freezes.. Actually. It freezes.
I dunno how lucky im to get something from it.
The thing is.... that...
Sometimes game goes on on any speed as usual.
But 90% of time it just freezes.
Now Im doing mining ops and you know what? After each tile there is a 10 seconds freeze. Its not that I got bad PC.
I got 4 GB RAM , 2x 2.33HZ CPU and Nice videocard.
I dont know why it lags like Arma ][ with maximum graphics on my PC(This requires really AWESOME VIDEOCARD)

MrCroa

It's an alpha, and not optimized. And 40 colonists is a lot ^^

And graphic card doesn't help in this game, it's CPU intensive.

DoomAngelBlade

I know that graphic card doesnt do anything here much.
just saying so no ppl saying 'What about ur graphic card'
'I think graphic card is bad'
'buy new graphic card u noob'
Anyway. The most problematic are battles.
40 colonists
50 raiders.
you know... I am..
U
N
A
B
L
E

T
O

P
L
A
Y
Just really unable. A battle goes on 2-4 irl HOURS. God damn it.
99% of battle is a god damn FREEZE.

miah999

Another thing to keep in mind is that Tynan intends for colonies to be around 20 members, so in the future your not likely to have 40+ colonists.

I'm not sure how he plans to accomplish this, or if optimization will negate these plans, and 40+ colonists will be the norm.

But right now the pre-alpha builds lag on...
Large numbers of colonists
Large numbers of raiders
Large numbers of muffalo
Too many hydroponics tables
Large selections generating a large number of selection boxes
Too much grass on the map
Too many miner mining at once
Too many builders building
Etc... it's a pre-alpha, many of these issues should be solved by January.

stigma

The game likely hasn't been made to scale properly with extra large amounts of entities yet. (I haven't really hit that limit yet in my testing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts chugging at some point). In a pre-alpha state the point is still just make sure that the program is stable at a basic level, and to implement the basics of the gameplay features.

No doubt it will be optimized later on to scale better for a large "endgame" scenario, but that is probably something that won't be addressed until there is at least some late-game content to actually test.

Also keep in mind that if you are running 40 colonists (is that possible even in phoebe friendly AI?) then that is probably already far outside what the scope of the game is. It seems like Ty's vision is to keep the (core) gameplay around a level of colonists where you can still keep track of individuals and identify with them, rather than managing an impersonal beehive of nameless drones.

Sounds like you have been playing the game in pre-alpha too much. Don't burn yourself out. Take a break and come back when the next big patch is out and you have more content to test. By the time there is enough content to warrant that sort of late-game level of entities I have no doubt that Ty will have improved performance. No point in playing this early version so much that you get bored of the whole game before it is even finished.

-Stigma

SteveAdamo

Quote from: DoomAngelBlade on October 28, 2013, 11:58:21 AM
But 90% of time it just freezes.

im hoping you mean 90% of the time, with the large number of colonists, yes?

if you are part of the internal testing group, remember, the best you can do for Tynan is actually test the game... intentionally try to break various systems... do things that dont make sense, to see how the game responds, and log/report as many bugs as you can...

straight up playing the game/relating gameplay experiences is perfectly acceptable as well, but those related specifically to optimizations dont leave much room to be addressed (yet)...

just some for thought... :)

nomadseifer

DoomAngel, try to keep in mind you are playing an pre-alpha game.  There are potentially many things that may cause bugs or gameplay slowdown.  There is really no reason why any post on here should be in the form of a complaint.  The information you have provided (your PC specs, the amount of colonists/raiders that caused the game to freeze) is very useful, but the negative commentary is not. 
Love of an Idea is love of god - FLLW

Semmy

moved topic to support, its more in its place there

Quote from: SteveAdamo on October 28, 2013, 01:16:18 PM
if you are part of the internal testing group, remember, the best you can do for Tynan is actually test the game... intentionally try to break various systems... do things that dont make sense, to see how the game responds, and log/report as many bugs as you can...

^^ what he said ^^
And use the appropriate bugtracker to report anything you find.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke