Assigning a priority job zone

Started by SenaCat, March 18, 2017, 08:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenaCat

Right now, at least as far as I can tell, if you want a certain pawn to get something done and done now then you right click it and say to prioritize it. Which is great when you need them to pick up the glitterworld meds before the fire reaches them. But what if you want a group of things prioritized? Say that I want someone to focus on building a certain section of a building first, or haul a specific group of things. Oxygen Not Included has something like this, where you can click and drag to set a selection of items to be on a 1-9 priority. So if you want a certain room cleaned first and cleaned now, you can click and drag on the mess to have that room be done. Obviously we're talking about telling a single pawn to drop everything and follow an order in our case, instead of a colony wide order. Context seems like it's the challenge here, I'm not sure how to solve that. Maybe shift r-clicking instead of click drag selection to choose the relevant priorities?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Arcy190 on March 18, 2017, 07:43:54 PM
Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 16, 2017, 09:05:44 PM
I'd love to see a list of all scheduled jobs where I could drag and drop the order in which pawns consider doing them.

to add to that idea, it would be REALLY helpful if we could cluster a bunch of orders into projects. a list of ALL scheduled jobs would be way too long. a single perimeter wall would take ages just to scroll through, otherwise. a constructor would haul all required and available materials to the all construction jobs of a project before starting to construct any of it's parts. we could then see what materials are still missing to complete the entire project. if there are not enough materials to finish the project, they just start construction and either start hauling to it again or move on to another project.

honestly, this idea alone is enough to have it's own thread in the forum.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Drazule

This would be a great idea. A priority queue of some sort would make life a lot easier and more realistic. Sow the potato field[1], Haul the potatoes to the proper zone[2], Build this section of wall[4], grab a bite to eat[5], go play horseshoes for your hard work, pawn[6].

BeastNips

Gnomoria had a feature called 'Clean Floor', which is basically an area that you highlight which becomes a priority for hauling. Obviously this is a much smaller suggestion than your idea, but it would go part of the way.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: BeastNips on March 20, 2017, 06:26:42 AM
Gnomoria had a feature called 'Clean Floor', which is basically an area that you highlight which becomes a priority for hauling. Obviously this is a much smaller suggestion than your idea, but it would go part of the way.
You can achieve a similar effect by selecting a hauler. in the lower left corner there's some overview information about that hauler and it includes three bars, one of which is their current area assignment. Clicking on that gives the option to choose which area the hauler will be restricted to.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

BeastNips

Yeah I occasionally do this, it's just a bit of a carry-on for something that was achieved in Gnomoria with simply laying down an area called 'Clean Floor' which would disappear once the area was clear of clutter. I have to create an area, assign whoever I want to haul to that area, then remember to disable these things once it's finished.