Settling on abandoned bases?

Started by Jan2607, March 20, 2017, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan2607

I had an mining outpost near my actual colony. Because I had enough materials and I didn't want to have 2 maps loaded, I abandoned the outpost. Now I wanted to revive this outpost, but it says, I couldn't settle there because my caravan needs to be the only object on this tile.
So, it is not possible to settle on abandoned maps again? :(
If I knew this I wouldn't have give up the outpost...

BlueLance213

From what I have read once you leave an outpost that's the end for it, there is no going back. There might be a mod for it but I havn't looked since I have never left my original landing zone.

GiantSpaceHamster

It's actually worse than that. Not only are you unable to resettle an abandoned colony, your caravans cannot even enter the tile. This caused me problems once when that tile was the only open space through a mountain so I had to go all the way around.

Hans Lemurson

There must be some badly mangled data in those areas that Tynan decided to restrict  entry.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

b0rsuk

Or maybe design decision ? You could turn a base on and off to prevent raids, for example ?

dragonalumni

better to change your permitted colonies to 2+ and just move everything over next time.

edit: but come to think of it, that means "new pawns" will go to the first outpost iirc.

crossed

It would be nice to have a 'visit' option besides settling, so when you leave the visited zone it would reset, or completely re-generated if you came back later, or something..

I'm playing ice sheet and I do hunting / gathering trips occasionally south of me on the tundra (even if I don't need food, just for the funz :) ), it would be much better to be able to do those trips on random zones instead of having to settle (and abandon) permanently.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: crossed on March 22, 2017, 05:48:25 AM
It would be nice to have a 'visit' option besides settling, so when you leave the visited zone it would reset, or completely re-generated if you came back later, or something..

I'm playing ice sheet and I do hunting / gathering trips occasionally south of me on the tundra (even if I don't need food, just for the funz :) ), it would be much better to be able to do those trips on random zones instead of having to settle (and abandon) permanently.

There's a camping mod for this

crossed

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on March 22, 2017, 02:19:05 PM
There's a camping mod for this
I'm playing vanilla for now, but I'll check it out eventually, thanks!