RimWorld Lore Discussion!

Started by CiceroThePoet, March 23, 2017, 06:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 26, 2017, 05:59:14 PM
If Rimworlds are so distant, how do glittertech devices end up on them anyway ? There are artifacts in danger rooms, but bionic body parts ? Glittertech medicine ? Where do they come from ? A glitterworld in the same solar system ?

Where do you think all that compacted steel and components came from?

You're standing on what *was* a glitterworld, before they started flinging gigaton antimatter bombs around 1,000 years ago.  The survivors crawled out of their holes and started making bows to hunt the animals that escaped the zoos...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

And all these glittertech devices they sell in perfect condition ? Naaaah. They look manufactured and transported from a glitterworld.

BeastNips

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 27, 2017, 03:27:09 PM
And all these glittertech devices they sell in perfect condition ? Naaaah. They look manufactured and transported from a glitterworld.

In the Revelation Space universe interstellar travel is limited to sub-light speed, like Rimworld, leading to technologically regressive cultures. This doesn't tend to happen to the same extent as Rimworld, but you get cultures with 'Glittertech' which tends to be anti-matter, nano-technology etc; then you get cultures which have to simply do their best with technology of a similar level to our current technology.

These regressive cultures have a scattering of Glitter tech that is either old because it was left over from whatever ship brought them to the planet originally (ships are crewed by a 'race' [modified humans] called Ultras which control most interstellar travel and trade and as a result tend to be technologically advanced) or by whatever is traded by traveling trade ships and it can be months, years or several decades between ships. This leads to huge disparities in levels of technology as well as how aged said technology is. I wouldn't be surprised if Rimworlds were in similar situations, especially given that in the game you tend to get passing trade ships infrequently as well as uncovering 'old' technology.

b0rsuk

Orbital traders are still relatively common and they clearly come from other planets. They even have names like Orange Horse Corporation, and rimworld is no place for a corporation.

BeastNips

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 28, 2017, 07:46:33 AM
Orbital traders are still relatively common and they clearly come from other planets. They even have names like Orange Horse Corporation, and rimworld is no place for a corporation.

Yes that's what I mean. I wouldn't call them uncommon, maybe infrequent? It would lead to a variety of glitter-tech, some of which is old, some of which is new.

b0rsuk

I think "lore" fans should do something useful and explain why trade ships are not good enough to leave the planet (win condition). You can't say they only have cargo holds, because they buy slaves and animals. You can't say they only deliver goods, because they buy various items and not just take silver.

OFWG

The reason why the trader's not good enough for a win condition:

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 28, 2017, 02:59:11 PM
they buy slaves

:D

Seriously, I wouldn't trust my safety and freedom to a ship under someone else's control (in a cryptosleep thing you'd be especially vulnerable).
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

b0rsuk

What I'm saying is that rimworlds are visited by spaceships capable of transporting humans. These spaceships are capable of interstellar travel. It must be possible to either make an arrangement to leave the planet, or hijack a ship.

Boston

Quote from: OFWG on March 28, 2017, 05:25:40 PM

they buy slaves

The problem is...... the characters already did this. What is to prevent them from doing so again?

Seriously, I wouldn't trust my safety and freedom to a ship under someone else's control (in a cryptosleep thing you'd be especially vulnerable).

b0rsuk

they buy slaves

Stupid argument, because only one kind of ship does, and all ships can transport humans.

Granitecosmos

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 29, 2017, 03:52:22 AM

they buy slaves

Stupid argument, because only one kind of ship does, and all ships can transport humans.

These trader ships travel for several decades just to reach another solar system. Some traders' chronological age might be over a thousand. They've seen many things. Your average Rim World human is a savage caveman in comparison, would you gladly share your living quarters with savage cavemen just because they told you they're different? Even if they paid you, what's the guarantee that these savages won't just kill you and take over?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Granitecosmos on March 29, 2017, 05:05:56 AM
Quote from: b0rsuk on March 29, 2017, 03:52:22 AM

they buy slaves

These trader ships travel for several decades just to reach another solar system. Some traders' chronological age might be over a thousand. They've seen many things. Your average Rim World human is a savage caveman in comparison, would you gladly share your living quarters with savage cavemen just because they told you they're different? Even if they paid you, what's the guarantee that these savages won't just kill you and take over?

Because the still have their Glitterworld XY-ID Chip ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Granitecosmos

Quote from: SpaceDorf on March 29, 2017, 05:43:59 AM
Because the still have their Glitterworld XY-ID Chip ?

Spending years on the Rim World can easily change people, usually the wrong way. ID chips can be stolen and hacked. Nothing is failsafe on a Rim World. We got old Glitter tech that coexists with tribals, don't forget that.

It's simply not worth it from the trader's perspective. Besides, every extra passenger would need another Cryptosleep Pod, unless they want to spend the next decade or so in the cargo bay along with supplies that probably won't last more than half a year. And then they'd have to pay for the damage too... Nope. Not gonna happen.

Salawat

Simple.  You only ever call them to trade.

Tynan also had a rather clever quote at one time regarding African fishing trawlers and a ride to Los Angeles as well. 

Though I'd wager that the type of person that would routinely plough the path between the stars is likely not the most social individual.

"Damn it! I hate being woken within a couple lightyears of a Damn Rimworld.  The Damn AI blasts the local excuse for music at full volume all the time!