[B18] Improved Anesthetic (22nd Jan 2018)

Started by XeoNovaDan, May 29, 2017, 05:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Compatibility
I'm not aware of any mods that this mod currently conflicts with.

Downloads
GitHub
Steam

Like this mod? Check out my other mods here!

Overview
Improved Anesthetic gives anesthetic a recovery process after the patient wakes up from their anesthesia, making anesthetic more realistic. Anesthetic has now been split into the following stages:

Sedated: The patient is unconscious during this stage, and they also won't feel any pain. Lasts 6 hours like vanilla.

Woozy: Limits consciousness to 70% and significantly reduces physical capacity but the patient is also high during this period, giving them a positive thought. Vomiting is quite frequent, and the patient may also be forgetful and break down in confusion. Lasts another 6 hours.

Recovering: Limits consciousness to 90% and slightly reduces physical capacity, and the high is over. The patient may still vomit, have some memory lapses, and go on random walkabouts, but this is significantly less likely to happen than during the 'Woozy' stage. Lasts anywhere from 6 to 42 hours.

Credits
Marnador for their great RimWorld font.

License
As is standard with my mods: you may include this mod in a mod pack, and you may derive from this, but please inform me if you're doing so either through here or Ludeon Forums, and give credit where credit's due.

zarathustra_bezbozhnik

Good thinking, man! Thanks for your great little immersion mods. Using almost all of them now in A17.

Quick question though: what's on the preview picture??))

XeoNovaDan

Meant to be one of those anaesthetic masks, but I'm not particularly great at art. I'm OK at low-res sprites (such as weapons), but not so good beyond that scope.

zarathustra_bezbozhnik

..ah, ok, I see it now. All it's missing is a face of some kind, I think)
I'll try and give you a picture if you want, but I don't know if I'm any good at it, like in the anecdote:
- Do you play the violin?
- Don't know, never tried.
:)

XeoNovaDan

I'm reluctant to use images - but if you can make something that'd I'd deem suitable, I may use it. You will, of course, be credited.

This is a pretty niche mod though; only people like-minded with us will use it.

zarathustra_bezbozhnik

..turns out, I'm no good at it anymore, therefore here is the free edited clipart if you want:

Rimworld is a pretty niche game, but still, here we all are, - like-minded people,)

Soupy Delicious

This mod looks fucking awesome O_O  is there some catch?  Is it incompatable with everything?  WHY SHOULDNT I USE THIS?!

JT's Surgery mod, I got a feelin (and I use this one) that it will be incompatible.  Is this true? 

XeoNovaDan

@Soupy Delicious JT's Surgery Mod doesn't change anaesthetic - at least not to my knowledge. Should work perfectly fine!

Soupy Delicious

DariusWolfe

So do the woozy and recovering conditions trigger bedrest like illness and injury? If they don't, or if they do but bedrest doesn't negate some or all of the symptoms listed, then I'm not sure this is feature complete; The only reason I can see for a mod like this personally is to encourage realistic behaviors following surgery; Which is to say, stay in bed, rest, recover. If a colonist is actually going to get out of bed to go on a confused wander, or vomit, then that's not especially realistic or immersive.

XeoNovaDan

@DariusWolfe I think any Hediff that needs treatment/recovery will fall into the Bedrest priority. There's nothing I can really do about that if that's the case; that is vanilla behaviour and I'm no C# wizard - however, this can be circumvented by setting everybody's bed rest priority to 4, and then prioritising them to rest if need be. It may be micromanagement, but it's somewhat opportunistic so it's not that much more micro. The idea of this mod is exactly to, as you said, encourage more realistic behaviours following surgery.

The reason for confused wandering is because, from the sources I've found informing this, general anaesthetic can cause confusion. While it may not be on a dementia or Alzheimer's level, having the risk of confused wandering was the best way that I could present it at the time. From what I've experienced ingame, confused wandering doesn't usually go for as long as sad wandering or a daze, so it's not really all that bad. Same goes with vomiting.

This is a very niche mod, and aimed more at the hardcore or those seeking extra challenge and risk - such as myself.

Soupy Delicious

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on July 13, 2017, 11:19:24 AM

The reason for confused wandering is because, from the sources I've found informing this, general anaesthetic can cause confusion. While it may not be on a dementia or Alzheimer's level, having the risk of confused wandering was the best way that I could present it at the time. From what I've experienced ingame, confused wandering doesn't usually go for as long as sad wandering or a daze, so it's not really all that bad. Same goes with vomiting.

I once woke from anesthetic after a minor surgery incredibly confused, and if I hadnt, say, woken up surrounded by nurses and the like, I woulda probably got up and started wandering in a panicked state.  I was bawling my eyes out too.  On retrospect, I think that I mighta thought I had died and was mighty relieved I wasnt dead. 

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on July 13, 2017, 11:19:24 AMThis is a very niche mod, and aimed more at the hardcore or those seeking extra challenge and risk - such as myself.

I think Darius was wondering whether colonists will make their way into bed by themselves, and then whether or not the bedrest suppresses only certain symptoms that one expect it would, so that the situation remains believable.