[A17] Traps Plus: More Traps [14/07/2017]

Started by shite, July 09, 2017, 01:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shite

Quote from: stigma on July 13, 2017, 09:28:02 PM
Ok, at risk of embarassing myself... here is my terrible attempt at replacement artwork.

These were done quick&sloppy, so if you find this acceptable and want me to contribute I will re-do with a little more attention to detail - and try to make replacements for the rest also. The beartrap is probably the most detailed thing, so I figure this is a good sample to give you to see if you like. The others I expect to fairly straight-foward, though I'm not sure what idea to go with for the crusher and slicer (they just need a total redesign to understand what you are looking at).

No doubt someone (anyone?) else could do this better than me because I'm no artist, and I certainly can't draw worth a shit (with the mouse no less because I have no digital drawing board) - but here you go anyway - you decide if this is something you want me to do. Don't tell anyone but I think the low resolution hides my lack of skill :D

EDIT: you are free to use these straight away if you want while you wait for updated versions.

-Stigma

Dude, these look great! They look 10x better than my shit mayne. I'm gonna use these for the next update. I also plan on removing the heat pad and making a fire shooter thing. Like a wall mounted flamethrower basically that will set fire to pawns. Also on the materials. I think I'm gonna remove the stone options for all the traps because it seems out of place. Anyways, thanks for all the insight!  :D

stigma

Quote from: shite on July 13, 2017, 10:52:34 PM
Ok, at risk of embarassing myself... here is my terrible attempt at replacement artwork.

These were done quick&sloppy, so if you find this acceptable and want me to contribute I will re-do with a little more attention to detail - and try to make replacements for the rest also. The beartrap is probably the most detailed thing, so I figure this is a good sample to give you to see if you like. The others I expect to fairly straight-foward, though I'm not sure what idea to go with for the crusher and slicer (they just need a total redesign to understand what you are looking at).

No doubt someone (anyone?) else could do this better than me because I'm no artist, and I certainly can't draw worth a shit (with the mouse no less because I have no digital drawing board) - but here you go anyway - you decide if this is something you want me to do. Don't tell anyone but I think the low resolution hides my lack of skill :D

EDIT: you are free to use these straight away if you want while you wait for updated versions.

-Stigma

Dude, these look great! They look 10x better than my shit mayne. I'm gonna use these for the next update. I also plan on removing the heat pad and making a fire shooter thing. Like a wall mounted flamethrower basically that will set fire to pawns. Also on the materials. I think I'm gonna remove the stone options for all the traps because it seems out of place. Anyways, thanks for all the insight!  :D

Quickly did a first attempt at caltrops and spikes too while I was at it.
Consider these sketches too, but it seems workable for now.

I really haven't got the slightest clue how to represent the slicer and crusher in a way that makes sense from the perspective - and when not inside some tunnel. I get that you probably envisioned a oldschool prince-of-persia type of thing - but unless you code in some sort of restriction I think the graphics have to make sense if you put it out in a field too ... so some sort of blade-trap I guess, but after a few sketched ideas they all look terrible... I will give it a think and see if any ideas come up.

Oh, and since you made your spikes poisonous - maybe calling them punji sticks is an idea? They were often covered in the most easily available "poison" available ... human excrement. Sort of fits the scenario (especially tribals), and you don't have to explain where you suddenly got poison from :D Spike trap is nice and simple too though - I'm just thinking out loud.

-Stigma

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

shite

Quote from: stigma on July 13, 2017, 11:43:38 PM
Quote from: shite on July 13, 2017, 10:52:34 PM

-Stigma

Quickly did a first attempt at caltrops and spikes too while I was at it.
Consider these sketches too, but it seems workable for now.

I really haven't got the slightest clue how to represent the slicer and crusher in a way that makes sense from the perspective - and when not inside some tunnel. I get that you probably envisioned a oldschool prince-of-persia type of thing - but unless you code in some sort of restriction I think the graphics have to make sense if you put it out in a field too ... so some sort of blade-trap I guess, but after a few sketched ideas they all look terrible... I will give it a think and see if any ideas come up.

Oh, and since you made your spikes poisonous - maybe calling them punji sticks is an idea? They were often covered in the most easily available "poison" available ... human excrement. Sort of fits the scenario (especially tribals), and you don't have to explain where you suddenly got poison from :D Spike trap is nice and simple too though - I'm just thinking out loud.

-Stigma

Damn, these look great aswell. Ill replace these textures for tomorrows update.

shite

Update (14/07/2017):
- Made spikes and caltrops trigger for every other pawn
- Added a chance (50/50) for the heat pad to set the target on fire
- Increased electricity usage for heat and freeze pad
- Changed Body Crusher to do blunt damage as the crush damage seems to cut people for some reason
- Improved textures for caltrops, bear trap and spikes thanks to stigma

stigma

Cool beans - I will check it out a little later and give feedback.
Thanks for the creds! :D

I think crush damage is "roof collapse" damage - and I remember that this actually does cut people up in vanilla game. Not sure if this is a bug or intended - but that's probably why that happened.

-Stigma