[A16] Melee Skill Rebalance [Updated 3/04/2017]

Started by oreganor, March 23, 2017, 01:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oreganor

QuoteOh never mind... actually it is not working only when at first, selected pawns don't have the same mode. Still something to be fixed maybe.

I already internally fixed the shortcut problem to use the Default M (Misc 7), which I find mnemotechnically easier to remember ("M"elee is a term that's used over different languages, even :) ) while preventing the "hijacking" from happening.

As the error is not crippling I will hold releasing a new version until any of the following happens:

a) Find a solution to your multiselection suggestion. Certainly, players used to RTS controls EXPECT that the result of an order applied to a group of units leaves ALL units on the same state.

b) Solve the incompatibility with "Defensive Possitions". I depend on a report I made to Harmony creator to even start with a solution... So.

Any (Or been optimist BOTH) of the above points really qualify for a subversion release. I don't want to spam users with a version per minute approach ;).
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

oreganor

= NEW VERSION 1.3.1 =

Changes:

- Using Shortcut "M" (Misc 7) as default.
- RTS behaviour on Attack Mode button when multiple pawns are selected.

Some comments:

- Attack Mode button now leaves ALL selected pawns in the same state, instead of the previous behaviour were EACH selected pawn used the next attack mode. This behaviour is more intuitive as it matches the generalized behaviour of how most RTS games approach multicasting orders to groups of units. Thanks to Wishmaster for pointing BOTH problems solved into this release.

The mod is STILL savegame friendly. When/If I do something that leaves a trace on the savegame I will clearly announce it.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Pokk720

I'm getting an empty zip file whenever I try to download the release versions... :/ what do I do?

oreganor

That's weird... Maybe it's the browser. If you have problems with yours, try to use this link (it's the repository itself) and there you will find all the zip files. Latest version is 1.3.1.

EDIT: All links use HTTPS... Check that your browser/firewall/setup is allowing you to use them.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Pokk720

For some reason I can only download the source code but it doesn't seem to be functional in the game. The full release version gives me an empty zip file though. I used the repository link but it gives me the same issue.

oreganor

Mmmm... Browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, etc) and OS (And their versions if possible)? Happens with this mod only? Crazy ideas:

- Your Antivirus is detecting an unsigned dll and deleting the zip file.

Check the attachment on this reply... It's a bandaid, but may help you spot the issue. It's the zip file of the current release.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Pokk720

I tried with chrome, Internet Explorer, and microsoft Edge and yeah it only happens with this mod. I even restarted my pc and the attached file gives me the same issue. I turned off everything antivirus related as well. I'm on windows 10 version 1607. But when I try to download the file it doesn't even attempt to download it. It just gets a zip file and then puts nothing in it.

Pokk720

holy shit I got it. It was an issue with the windows extraction program. I used 7-zip and it worked.

Edit: Thanks a lot for your cooperation and quick responses. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it and your mod. Also I confirmed it works in game. Again thank you for helping me figure that out. I would've been so frustrated if I had to play this game without this beautiful mod.

oreganor

Ah k... That's the next thing I was going to try, to send you a .rar instead. Glad you found the issue and reported back... I was about to enter into "Real Exotic Issues" mode :). Hope you enjoy the mod.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Canute

No the archive is working, just window's don't like this compression because it isn't zip i think.
You can open it with winrar or 7z but not with windows explorer.

Pokk720

Yes this is what we found out. For some reason it doesn't like whatever compression it's doing. On a sidenote, I love this mod. It would be really cool to eventually see a ranged version of this that allows you to target certain body parts.

Perhaps the attack modes could use the same modes as melee for simplicity.
For example, the kill mode would give you like a 25% percent chance to hit your target in the neck or any subcategory which includes the head (so long as it has a "neck" node).
The capture mode could target the legs
The disarm mode could target the arms
The stun mode could target the body exclusively with a slightly increased hit chance.

You said you were reaching the limits of what you could do without breaking save games but I believe these things could be implemented without too much difficulty as you have already done an amazing job with the melee side of things.

Of course I don't want to take the utility away from melee so I would assume that ranged attacks don't get the reduced damage or special effects like the knockout, they just allow you to target specific body parts provided you have a good enough shot on the target. Using the threshold system you already put in place, you could say that you'll only get the headshot bonus % if you already have at least a 30% shot on your target.

If nothing else this will at least make me consider putting a damn helmet on my colonists for once.

oreganor

= NEW VERSION 1.3.2 =

Changes:

- Added overlays to Attack Mode button to describe effective chances of a special effect to happen.
- Compatibility with "Defensive Positions" mod.

Some comments:

- Now each time a Drafted pawn attempts a melee attack, his/her Attack Mode button will change based on how likely the Special Effect was to be applied to his current target. Some Examples:

No Chance
This Pawn didn't have a chance to Disarm his target on the last attack attempted.
Low Chances
This pawn had low chances to Stun his target on the last melee attack attempted.
Decent Chances
This Pawn had decent chances to Capture his target on the last attack.

This Overlays will change dynamically over a fight... So pay attention to them to know when a given Attack Mode has a decent chance to trigger the effect you look for. While paused, you can scroll over the different modes to know what would have happened if the Pawn would have been using another Mode. I hope this helps at figuring out what happens "behind the scenes", take the best decission while in-fight, and understand better the role each Mode can play on a given situation.

- After some intense headbanging, now I developed a strategy to deal with Detour Collisions from Mods that do not use Harmony. The 1st benefit is that now you all can enjoy full features of this mod while having "Defensive Positions" active.

The mod is STILL savegame friendly. When/If I do something that leaves a trace on the savegame I will clearly announce it.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

oreganor

Thanks for the enthusiastic feedback, Pokk720

QuoteOn a sidenote, I love this mod. It would be really cool to eventually see a ranged version of this that allows you to target certain body parts.

Sadly, there are already mods around that try to "spice up" ranged combat. I wouldn't like to force users to choose between mods. I try hard to control how much Vanilla features my mod uses/tweaks so more players can find a "spot" to use this mod without making others obsolete/less interesting...

...I'm trying to ADD content so players can have more options to tweak their game experience, that's all.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Pokk720

I see. One of the best things about this mod is it's compatibility. It makes it a must have. But I personally don't use any of the ranged combat mods because I find that none of them add as much dynamic to the game as this mod does.

I'm still pulling for someone to make a ranged targeting system. I'm tired of having to shoot every toe off of an elephant before I can take it to be butchered.