What is the future of gaming?

Started by mabor0shi, March 23, 2017, 06:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabor0shi

Some people say that there won't be another generation of consoles after PS5 & xBox2. Some say that after that generation comes out, there will be new iterations of consoles every year, like iPhones. Or that console gaming and the old PC mouse & keyboard will be made obsolete by VR within 10 years.
This TechRadar review of HTC's Vive is almost like an advert for it, dude loves it so much. He makes it sound like VR is to current PCs/consoles as 3D was to 2D. Like HTC says "Yo dawg, take this red pill and you can get up inside of computers like Neo in the Matrix, but it cost $800 and you need a badass gaming computer and 33 square meters of empty space and you might get motion sickness and throw up on yo shit."
What do you think about Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality tech and the future of consoles and all that type of stuff?
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Listen1

Quote from: mabor0shi on March 23, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
What do you think about Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality tech and the future of consoles and all that type of stuff?

Meh, only in the future. This will come, but it will take time to make it cheap, to make it run well, to get rid of motion sickness and etc.

PS5 or (PS4.89UltraPro) will probably ship with a VR Set. Then the game industry (or atleast sony itself) will invest hard on VR games.

Other than that, for PC specially, I don't see it happening.

Adamiks

VR is going be a tech toy for a long time, but i'm pretty sure that in the future that kind of gaming will be popular.

Some time ago i saw VR headset with treadmill-like platform. Basically, you can run, and your character will run in-game. Pretty fun, but a lot of games just wouldnt work with something like this - imagine playing VR Skyrim. That would be so tiring.

In the far future, we will probably see full immersion VR - no platforms or shit, instead, it will fool your brain to make you feel like you're running, even though you are not. That would be Matrix level of tech, though, so it wont happen any time soon.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: mabor0shi on March 23, 2017, 06:28:37 PM
Or that console gaming and the old PC mouse & keyboard will be made obsolete by VR within 10 years.

Ten years? Well here's a review of VR goggles from ten years ago...
https://youtu.be/HofXblXa6lQ
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Kegereneku

Satirical predictions

Short term :
- Medium studio keep doing more things the Indy way : creativity rather than graphics (those are hitting a peak)
- 99% of small studio dies because bigger one do "Indy" better.
- Large studio start getting some clue and consider the possibility of eventually stopping to make the same shit again, thus the next Assassin's Creed is the same shit, CYBERPUNK, the next one IN SPACE.
- More open world with multiple gameplay (ex: FPS+vehicular gameplay, RPG+physics building, large scale strategy+FPS, MOBA+Story driven mission ...etc)
- 80% physics driven BIG game to be made
- Amazed if VR survive as a niche, until it solve the "get sick walking" problems. Plus the beefy computer they need.
- We keep the same mouse and keyboard because of inertia.

Medium term :
- Mixing physics and gameplay without needing to cheat/rail objects become the new focus for studios, 90% of the players finally start getting bored of the same shit procedurally generated 1000times.
- New control interface finally appear in a way compatible with old tech : mouse&keyboard that guess complex intent with 99% success.
- If VR solved the sickness problem, more people invest in the next generation of equipment, more and more movies are made especially for VR. REAL 3D happen and this time you can look at things outside the "camera" focus.
- We barely start having brain/machine interface, nothing that require surgery, reaction time still too slow for most game. Feedback is more like electric field giving you haptic feeling that aren't actually there, like cold or heat. (the technology is held back because we handed control of all technologies and brevet to Corporation and we are fighting to keep them from brainwashing us)

Long term :
- We transcend beyond futile amusement, we only find joy seeking to understand beyond the code source of the universe
- We have VR game with extreme haptic feedback, within multiplayer open-world the size of galaxy (if we wish) and complex physics is fully integrated (you can take water in a bucket like IRL)
- What stand for "studios" (AI-generated game from the ideas of a hivemind made of players) rediscover make-believe gameplay where you don't have to physically swing a sword for it to happen, people are amazed by 2000s gameplay until studio get good again to actually improve (at which point we do transcend from this narrative mastery).

Hard-AI, full man-machine interface or Digitalized human make further expectation pointless
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

jacko21297

completely in the brain gaming, no monitors, just purely psychological and in the head. So it feels like you are actually in a game because of the signals the game is sending to you. Wear a massive head contraption hooked up to a super computer to make it possible, could be totally rad, completely a theory, but never impossible...
“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” ― André Gide

Kegereneku

"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

milon

I'm pretty sure the future of gaming approximates to playing tic-tac-toe in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. :P

mumblemumble

I honestly think Ps4 and such could go a while without an upgrade IF they optimized things : sad thing is, I feel like optimizations of code, graphics, and other elements kinda died after ps2 age, due to the power getting so high that, generally speaking, it was not necessary to optimize very much at all.

I remember back in the day with pre ps2, optimization was everything, as you wanted to cram as much as possible into the hardware. But now its all about just adding more graphics, rather than processes in the game-play.. ..not a change I appreciate.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Neotic

i hope we get full dive technology but without the killing you part
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Perq

VR is highly overblown, tbh. Personally, I know maybe 2 genres of games that VR can be used very well:
- Mech fighting
- Racing/driving

Everything else is just silly. Standing in one room and handling shit. For how long, really, can you do that and not get bored? How many games in that one room can you make? And many of those things aren't even games.
Motion sickness for TPP games... I mean, while very cool, it seems that some people haven't considered the drawbacks of such system.

Unless you directly connect your brain to the computer, in will only be a gadget to me. :P And I don't think we will get this kind of thing any time soon... :D

Honestly, one good use for VR are... movies. But on the other hand, motion sickness.
If only there was a genre of movies that happen in one room and viewer don't need to move all that much...

OH... THAT genre...

Get me one then! (not going to buy one myself, but if you insist... :D)
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

NinjaDiscoJew

Faster better devices, prettier graphics. VR is probabally gonna get more advance too. Sometime in the really far off future, headsets which are capable of accessing virtual worlds.