Clothing materials

Started by Syrchalis, March 23, 2017, 10:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

What materials do you use to make your clothing? What types of clothing do you go for? How does it change from early, mid to late game?

I'm currently playing a jungle colony, so I made some early cloth dusters for my colonists. Cowboy hats are of course more efficient (4x faster to produce and 4x less materials) - but you also get less crafting skill. Dusters are really stylish and give twice the bonus as well. What is also relevant is that dusters have the best value per material used of ANY clothing, and since I make these (no worn by dead person penalty) they will sell well later.

Now I'm heading into mid-game. My researcher guy is also a grower, which kept me from getting electricity for ages (tribe start) and I still don't have it. The thing is - I planted a ton of devilstrand (around 150 plants) and I'm going to use those to make devilstrand shirts (either type, doesn't matter) and pants for the great protetion they provide. I will also make devilstrand dusters, but they are secondary. I have 600+ alpaca wool, so I could use those for dusters and get a whopping +51°C heat protection, however my jungle tile isn't very hot and heat waves don't reach 60°C - if I really need to I just make alpaca wool cowboy hats and they give +27,2°C heat protection, which is... pretty insane (twice of a normal duster, what the heck?).

Late game I don't really know what I'm going to do. Do bullets count as sharp weapons? Or does sharp/blunt only matter for melee attacks? Hyperweave doesn't seem that much better than devilstrand, or am I mistaken?
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Greep

Pretty sure sharp is bullets yeah.  And yeah devilstrand is pretty much it.  Rhino leather is nice for protection but harder to get in good quantity, you'll have to breed them.  A good post end-game goal though.  Basically nobody sells hyperweave or synthread in useful quanities, so it's more theoretical than anything.

But yeah, it's mostly about clothing layers, hyperweave duster + armor vest + hyperweave button down shirt and pants is pretty sick protection, better than power armor.

But as far as a "ton of plants" well, a ton of devilstrand is more like 10,000, the stuff grows super slow xD

I wouldn't bother with cowboy hats unless you're playing in the desert, just use power helm/kevlar imo.

As for shirt/pants, sounds silly but I'd say dusters should take precedence.  Pawns actually are perfectly fine running around wearing nothing but dusters like some skeezy flasher until you can make actual clothing.  And dusters cover everything AND provide temperature protection, and are cheaper than pants + shirt, and have a better protection value :)

Edit: ah tribal start.  Hmmm... might be worth it to use dead men's helm + vests and just improve your bedrooms to make up for it. Only in rimworld does cleaning your bedroom stop bullets :)
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Euzio

Bullets count as sharp projectiles so yup (along with claw and biting attacks from animals).

Despite the slow growth time, devilstrand is actually the easiest way to acquire really good armour in large quantities in the game. Hyperweave, rhinohide and thrumbo fur (is the best) provide better protection but are very difficult to acquire.

Generally, I'd try my best to start growing devilstrand at once (praying for no blight to occur... especially in a biome with limited growing period). Then I can kit my pawns out in a full set of duster, shirt and pants. A set like that can easily provide decent protection for a long time.

Granitecosmos

Quote from: Euzio on March 24, 2017, 03:25:23 AM
Bullets count as sharp projectiles so yup (along with claw and biting attacks from animals).

Despite the slow growth time, devilstrand is actually the easiest way to acquire really good armour in large quantities in the game. Hyperweave, rhinohide and thrumbo fur (is the best) provide better protection but are very difficult to acquire.

Generally, I'd try my best to start growing devilstrand at once (praying for no blight to occur... especially in a biome with limited growing period). Then I can kit my pawns out in a full set of duster, shirt and pants. A set like that can easily provide decent protection for a long time.

The best material is actually hyperweave. It gives a +3% offset to sharp, blunt and heat. The way offsets work, they are also affected by the material's own multiplier. Since thrumbofur and hyperweave has the same multiplier, this always makes hyperweave the best at sharp resistance, while the offsets for blunt and heat further reduce the difference between the two. A normal hyperweave pants has better sharp resistance than a masterwork thrumbofur one.

Sharp damage is the most common damage in the game. Blunt is only caused by fists/wood (never used by NPCs)/beer (never used by NPCs either)/clubs (trash weapons, beaten by knives in DPS IIRC)/maces (already less DPS than gladius/spear/longword), centipede melee and some animal melee attacks. Every other damage is either sharp, explosive or heat. Hyperweave is the master fabric. Devilstrand is a good substitute because it has even better offsets but worse multipliers.

Thrumbofur also costs more, so your less effective clothing also acts as a more powerful raider magnet. Avoid excessive usage of thrumbofur.

Syrchalis

Quote from: Greep on March 24, 2017, 12:00:41 AM
But as far as a "ton of plants" well, a ton of devilstrand is more like 10,000, the stuff grows super slow xD

As for shirt/pants, sounds silly but I'd say dusters should take precedence.  Pawns actually are perfectly fine running around wearing nothing but dusters like some skeezy flasher until you can make actual clothing.  And dusters cover everything AND provide temperature protection, and are cheaper than pants + shirt, and have a better protection value :)
Mountain jungle, so not much space to grow on. 150 Devilstrand gives enough fabric to give all your colonists a full set of clothes, save for dusters with 1 harvest (I have 9 colonists already, because two raids in a row I captured like 3 people each).

Sure I made dusters first from cloth. They had tribal wear and put dusters on top. Looked good, was effective. Now devilstrand shirt and pants for protection (done), and then dusters. Last armor and helmets. I finally have electricity... thank goodness. Playing without a freezer is annoying as hell.

Quote from: Euzio on March 24, 2017, 03:25:23 AM
Generally, I'd try my best to start growing devilstrand at once (praying for no blight to occur... especially in a biome with limited growing period).
Devilstrand is immune to blight.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.