[MOD] (Alpha 3) IronWeed

Started by NephilimNexus, April 17, 2014, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stalker102

the way I view it makes growers useful because most of the time they are mining retarded or by the time a miner gets 5 blocks done they are still going tink tink tink on first one lol. Now I could see the mod more useful down the line in the ways of research ie more yields (but raising by every time or changing the way they grow ie need brightly lit or extreamly fertile soil, shorten cycle length all at the cost of possible random explosion with each plant
(event)
Life has many Bridges. Don't burn the ones you crossed

Sorin Braveheart

Perhaps each plant would yield 1-2 metal and should perhaps take a in game week or more to fully grow?
Stare into my eyes and be taken to another world.

Stare into my eyes and see the world for what it is.

Stare into my eyes and know when all shall fall.

NephilimNexus

Yes, you can easily change the amount produced per plant - just go into the IronWeed.xml (it's the only file in the mod beside the plant texture) and find the line:

<maxFoodYield>5.0</maxFoodYield>

Change that to whatever you want.  Make it only 1, jump it up to 1000, it's all up to you.  Personally I haven't found it to be very unbalancing, being as even with hydroponics you're only getting 20 metal for the whole table per growth cycle, which is barely enough to make ten carpet tiles.  And it's taking up your farmer's valuable time away from growing actual food, which means what you're actually doing is more of a trade than a freebie.

Yes, as another poster mentioned, ideally it would be something that requires more processing at a work bench of some sort.  However, frankly I have very, very little modding experience and the last thing we need is yet another type of workbench added to the game.  So with that in mind, if more more talented brethren would like to take this and incorporate it into their own mod(s), and then add an extra workbench step using their workbenches, well then be my guest.  Personally I think the best workbench option for it would be the Crematorium (from the cremation mod), as you'd basically be burning off the organic parts and leaving behind the metallic core as a handy lump of metal.

Note: If you think this is crazy, consider that it's entirely possible to make planets that produce medicine, uranium, and possibly even weapons.  (Actually, a plant that produces medicine would not be unbalanced at all, as there are obvious numerous real-life examples of medicinal plants out there).

LittleMikey

Quote from: NephilimNexus on April 17, 2014, 09:12:12 AM
Quote from: Blackjack1000K on April 17, 2014, 09:03:07 AM
are you considering on making green weed also known as pot?

Y'know, we could probably do something like that... a plant with very, very low nutritional value but a very, very high price tag that you could sell to less savory traders that come by.  Basically something you'd farm for lots of silver. 

To make it realistic you'd have to make it make you hungry!

StorymasterQ

To make it less overpowered, Iron Weeds should attract psychotic boomrats. Packs of them.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

NephilimNexus

Or just add an animal that eats metal that's left laying around.  That would mean that you'd have to go with indoor hydroponics if you don't want your entire crop getting gobbled up by varmints.

joshwoo69

Quote from: NephilimNexus on April 21, 2014, 01:10:33 AM
Or just add an animal that eats metal that's left laying around.  That would mean that you'd have to go with indoor hydroponics if you don't want your entire crop getting gobbled up by varmints.
That is ...is... awful! :(
No animals eating metal PLEASE!

AntiMatter

Quote from: joshwoo69 on April 21, 2014, 02:35:47 AM

maybe not metal but just ironweed... it would be ok (animal eats metal = dropbeacon in danger/ metal wall in danger)
sometimes, all you need is to get out and push.
-Jeb kerman

joshwoo69

Quote from: AntiMatter on April 24, 2014, 06:59:27 AM

maybe not metal but just ironweed... it would be ok (animal eats metal = dropbeacon in danger/ metal wall in danger)
... :o what you mean??

rakarna

Awsome mod. played a few games now with it. and it is really sweet to dont have to worry so much over the iron. but i still need to dig iron in the beginning so it is not op :P

Fergus

Hoping you plan to update this for Alpha4c, I would really miss this helpful mod, thanks for putting it together.

a89a89

Quote from: joshwoo69 on April 26, 2014, 04:26:32 AM
Quote from: AntiMatter on April 24, 2014, 06:59:27 AM

... :o what you mean??
a animal that eats stuff made of metal

abcdef

Hey I dont no if you planning to update this but it was request as one of the mods i update and i will being work on this soon you wil be able to find it here http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3942.0

NephilimNexus

No, I'm not updating this because I don't have to - other (more talented) people have already assimilated it and modified it into other mods & new variations with my full approval.  So this thread can now retire as others have taken it's place.

:D

Girlinhat

Just gonna pipe in and say one interesting thing, and perhaps more reasonable, would be to make it closer to trees than crops.  Ironwood has a bit of a nicer ring to it.

Also on the comment of 'you could make plants that drop weapons' I do kinda like the idea of, say, plants that could be harvested for meat, or even silver.  Might also be neat to make a plant that drops biofuel, and a generator that burns it for power...