How much beer does it take to make an alcoholic?

Started by Hans Lemurson, March 26, 2017, 06:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hans Lemurson

I'm roleplaying my current fortress (using the "Strike the Earth" scenario from the March Reddit challenge) as a population of permanent alcoholics, and I want to properly "induct" some new recruits into fortress.

Alcoholism is the badge of true citizenship in my colony, but I'm running into the problem that alcohol is significantly less addictive than I'd hoped.  Despite freely available beer and a permissive drug policy, my recruits have been disappointingly reasonable with their alcohol consumption.

I am going to resort to administering the beer medically, but I don't want to overdo it and kill them with alcohol poisoning.  How much beer can I safely administer in order to have the best possible chance of converting my pawns to the one true faith?
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Belgord

I don't know buuuuuuut, this sounds (the title atleast) like a community challenge 😄😄.  If red wine counts then I'll get back to you after my weekend of "intense scientific research timez"

Granitecosmos

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 26, 2017, 06:31:27 AM
Alcoholism is the badge of true citizenship in my colony

I also like playing with Dwarves.

Just keep giving the recruits more until they pass out. If they die they weren't dwarven enough.
Remember: if in doubt, use magma.

Hans Lemurson

I've harvested a few spare livers from raiders in preparation for an epidemic of cirrhosis, and I'm going to order my first test pawn to drink until he passes out, then keep forcing booze on him (without killing him) in the hospital until he gives in and accepts its love.

After he wakes up, I'll institute the wise policy of "Drink the Hangover Away".  If this doesn't convert him to the true faith, I don't know what will.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Granitecosmos

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on March 26, 2017, 01:50:19 PM
I've harvested a few spare livers from raiders in preparation for an epidemic of cirrhosis

It takes time to ramp up so don't worry. Although having a few spare parts never hurt.

Greep

Unless I'm mistaken, .25/.032 = 8.  Although I think if you put them on it daily they'll get it eventually.  The kicker is the addictiveness rate.

<hediffDef>AlcoholTolerance</hediffDef>
          <severity>0.032</severity>

<addictiveness>0.010</addictiveness>
        <minToleranceToAddict>0.25</minToleranceToAddict>

Only a 1% chance.   So be prepared to buy.... thousands of beer.

As far as safety.

<hediff>Cirrhosis</hediff>
            <minSeverity>0.50</minSeverity>
            <baseMtbDays>60</baseMtbDays>

I'm pretty sure it lists the tolerance in game before 50% on the health tab.  And you can't overdose on beer or smokeleaf.  So just drown those suckers in booze until they approach that level.  Apparently it also gives cancer, the things you learn from code diving :D
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0