Three small QOL changes (hauling behavior, prioritizing work)

Started by Syrchalis, March 26, 2017, 11:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

#1 When hauling pawns try to carry their maximum and pick up other stacks around the selected one. This area should increase in size with further distance to the stockpile they are hauling to and not be a fixed size. So if you are hauling from the other side of a large map they should gather stuff in a large area before returning.

#2 When assigning prioritized work it should overwrite if another pawn is already handling it (there should still be a message that it's already handled by someone, so you know you're canceling the current action of another pawn). Having to draft the other pawn, assign the work to the first one, then undraft the second is tedious.

#3 When someone is not assigned to a certain job they should still be able to get manually assigned (prioritized work). Having to open the work tab every time for that is pretty tedious as well.

For #2 and #3 there is a mod. However, I don't quite understand the design decision behind not including this in the base game.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

XeoNovaDan

Might want to suggest to Zorba the concept of requesting integration of 'Look at me, I'm the worker now' into Vanilla... but then again, it may be integrated anyway as they're a developer

OFWG

Quote from: Syrchalis on March 26, 2017, 11:45:22 AM
#1 When hauling pawns try to carry their maximum and pick up other stacks around the selected one.

They already do this for hauling. Do you mean when they're constructing?
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

SpaceDorf

Quote from: OFWG on March 28, 2017, 05:32:51 PM
Quote from: Syrchalis on March 26, 2017, 11:45:22 AM
#1 When hauling pawns try to carry their maximum and pick up other stacks around the selected one.

Read the whole point .. yes they do this, but the search radius to fill the stack should be bigger, the further away they are from home ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Syrchalis

Quote from: OFWG on March 28, 2017, 05:32:51 PM
Quote from: Wishmaster on March 29, 2017, 04:46:43 PM
#1 I totally agree.

#2, #3 same, but at least there is a mod that does that "Look at me, I am the worker now". MUST HAVE mod.
Is it the new meme to read only half the post?

Sorry if I sound aggressive. Both these things were in my original post.

I use this mod of course, though I suggest it should be part of the base game. The designers do a pretty good job with Rimworld, though some things are still sub-optimal. The game is in alpha so I don't expect a polished gemstone of a game - heck, this is an indie game, so I don't even expect one once it's released - so what I do is I try my best to help the development by pointing these things out.

Some mods (especially content and balance mods) are usually not suitable for the base game. For example fertile fields - it's a great mod and I use it all the time, but I wouldn't add it to the base game. Sometimes the general idea can be added to the base game (e.g. improving soil with some effort - that's the general idea of fertile fields).

Quality of life mods are very often something that could be added to the base game. Some even should. Not all quality of life mods should be added of course, some make things trivial that are not for a reason. I try to focus on those where there isn't really a reason.

For example if you can do the exact same thing with or without the mod, but need less button presses for it with the mod then that should probably be a base game feature. If a quality of life mod makes something possible that is possible anyway but needs an annoying work-around, then that's also a candidate.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.