[Decided - Not a Bug] Strange Behavior When Sick Colonist Wakes

Started by maarx1337, March 26, 2017, 10:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maarx1337

Okay, so, typically, I only report stuff here if I'm pretty sure it's a bug. This one, however, is just a very strange, yet very technical, behavior, that I just wanted to ask about. I considered my options and decided this is probably still the best Sub-Forum to post it in.

For simplicity (not sure if it matters), assume the pawn has Patient and Bed Rest as top two relevant WorkTypes, and assume their Schedule is set to Anything.

If this pawn is sleeping in a normal bed, and is sick, or otherwise needs treatment, and finishes sleeping, and wakes up, if a hospital bed is available, the pawn will move themselves directly to the hospital bed, and lay back down, regardless of whether they are urgently hungry.

Now, I might understand this behavior, one way or the other, if it was a very consistent behavior, but the weird thing is this: While the pawn is walking from their normal bed to the hospital bed, if you Draft&Undraft them, they will go find food first, feed themselves, and THEN return to the hospital bed.

This inconsistency is very strange for me. It seems the pawn intuitively knows that feeding themselves should come before laying down in a hospital bed, but if they are coming directly from another bed, they ignore their need to eat, as if the pawn somehow considers it a continuation of the same task, rather than the completion of one task and the start of another.

(( I actually thought this was a bug in one of my mods, stared at it for a while, and started to troubleshoot the mod, before disabling all mods and establishing it is actually a vanilla behavior. ))

Steps to Replicate:

0. Remove Doctor WorkType from all Pawns.
1. Set pawn to Patient and Bed Rest as top two WorkTypes. Set Schedule to Anything.
2. DevTool -20% Rest until pawn is very low Rest.
3. Godmode build a normal Bed, and allow pawn to go to Sleep.
4. While pawn is Sleeping, use DevTool -20% Hunger a couple times to make them very hungry.
5. While pawn is still Sleeping, also use DevTool to give them an Infection.
6. While pawn is still Sleeping, Godmode build a Hospital Bed.
7. Observe that, when pawn wakes up, they immediately start moving themselves to the Hospital Bed.
8. Observe that, if you Draft&Undraft the pawn, they go feed themselves first, before returning to the Hospital Bed.

DanielCoffey

Which would you suggest was the correct behaviour? My feeling is that the Hungry colonist should go to the Hospital bed anyway, regardless of Hunger state and that it should then immediately generate a "Feed the Patient" job for someone else.
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

maarx1337

Yeah upon further consideration I am starting to conclude that this is probably normal behavior considering how sick resting works, it just seems they always ignore hunger to let other people feed them.

It is just one thing to see the behavior in somebody already sleeping and another thing to see a pawn get up from one bed, walk across the base, literally step over the food, lay down in another bed, and wait for somebody to feed them.

But yeah, upon further consideration, I guess this is expected behavior.

I might mod it out. Sometimes these pawns should feed their damn selves. But yeah, I guess it isn't a bug.