[1.3] [KV] Impassable Map Maker [ModSync RW]

Started by Kiame, March 28, 2017, 02:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

Allows settlements on Impassable tiles.

Can either start a new game on an Impassable tile or with a current game travel (via caravan or drop ship) to an impassable tile.

Most Impassable maps will have one open area in the middle-ish (it will be hidden initially). This mod is not meant for casual play and these maps really should not be starting maps either. This is intended to add something a little different.

World pathing will still avoid Impassable tiles but telling a caravan to travel to an Impassable tile will force them to go there. It takes a long time to get to an impassable tile by foot.

Settings:
-World Map Movement Difficulty - How long it takes to cross an impassable tile on the world map
-Mountain Shape - Whether the impassable mountain is Square or Round
--Outer Radius (Round only) - The radius of the impassable mountain
-Scattered Rocks - Whether there are rocks scattered around the perimeter of the impassable mountain
-Has Middle Area - Whether there is an open area in the middle of the impassable mountain
--Middle Area Shape (Middle Area only) - The shape of the open area in the middle of the impassable mountain
--Open-Area Width/Height or Radius - The size of the open area in the middle of the impassable mountain
--Open-Area Max Offset From Middle (Middle Area only) - The possible max distance from the center that the center of the open-area can be at map generation
--Middle Area Wall Smoothness (Middle Area only) - Whether the walls of the middle area are smooth or rough
-Edge Buffer - In the case that the impassable map's outer walls go past the map's edge, should there be a buffer along the edge of the map to allow passage around the impassable map.
NOTE: There will always be a small opening on the four corners of the map
-Include Quarry - Specifically for Quarry mod
-True Random - Every time an impassable map is generated it will be unique. This is unlike base-game behaviour in which the map will be the same if the same world-name and location are used.

Steam

Direct Download:

A17
B18
B19

Use ModSync RW to know if/when there's an update

GitHub

Like my mods? Consider supporting me!

lost_RD

Interesting idea. Have you reached late game in your testing?

ipeez

Where / how do raids / traders, and the other "global->local"-transit events take place / happen? :)

Raccoon

This is awesome, "something" like that, i was looking for.

Are you in the Rimworld Discord?

Bradley_

You mean, this allows building an underground passage trough mountains for trade??? Moria in Rimworld? I love it!

Kiame

Dryerlint

Quote from: Bradley_ on May 12, 2017, 04:20:21 PM
You mean, this allows building an underground passage trough mountains for trade??? Moria in Rimworld? I love it!

*Speak friend and enter.*

"Melon!"

*Close enough.*

Jackaldude2

Hey, I love this mod, but I have just the most minor of complaints.
The open spot doesn't generate directly in the center on the ludeonicrous size(400^2).
That's it, super minor, and it's not enough to keep me from using it.

Kiame

The open spot will be in the "middle-ish" (from the original post)  ;)

I forget the percentage off-middle I made it. I want to say there's at least a 10% variance in both the x and y direction. ie the center of the open area could be up to 10% to both the left and up of middle if that makes sense.

I decided to do it that way so that there is some fanger/unknowns to these maps. If the offset seems too big i can see about making it smaller.

Jackaldude2

Huh, on my uses, it seems to favor down and right of the center by about ~12cells. I'll keep testing new colonies and see if I can get a map that generates the opening in a different direction.
It's a challenge to me since I like to build my base with symmetry. If anything, all I have to do is shift a few paths from their "normal" positions, then fortify the narrow bits against sappers more than the wide bits. I'll update here in a day or two.
Any mods off the top of your head that might stand a chance of conflicting with this one?

UPDATE: 
After several tries I finally got one in the opposite direction, http://puu.sh/x4rUU/524464466c.jpg
Your mod works as intended, even with the boatload of mods I'm using.

Kiame

What I may look into doing is make a Setting where the user can say if they want it in the middle or how large the deviation should be. 0 being center, and maybe up to 25% from center.

I'll also double check how i seed the random number generator. I remember in some of my earlier version the RNG was not working correctly and it would favor one side over the other. The distance from center was also larger than desired.

Jackaldude2

HefferX

Do raiders spawn normally and path through the tunnel you've dug? Do prisoners and visitors know how to exit the map?

Kiame

Quote from: HefferX on August 08, 2017, 05:07:20 PM
Do raiders spawn normally and path through the tunnel you've dug? Do prisoners and visitors know how to exit the map?

An error may pop up in the logs when things are spawning if the full border is not visible (due to ruins usually) but the game will force them to spawn elsewhere so it doesn't effect game play in the end. Otherwise everything paths fine.

Note: if the path takes too long the visitors/traders may leave just as they arrive  :)

Kiame

Update:

Added a Mod Setting which allows the user to select how far from the middle the open area can be.

Still trying to figure out how to fix the problem where the helper ship ends up in the ocean.

This has been uploaded to steam and the direct download has also been updated.