RimWorld unplayable since this morning

Started by Agroegero, March 23, 2017, 03:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agroegero

Hey guys,

I am playing RimWorld on an Ubuntu laptop and until yesterday I always started it from the terminal bc it didn't work from Steam directly. Since this morning this doesn't work anymore (see screenshot #1).

So now the game is starting from Steam, but it is not at all working. Could be bc of my old machine, but when I started it from terminal I had no performance issues like that. Furthermore I always get an error message (screenshot #2).

Perhaps you have an idea?

Best
Nils

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

DanielCoffey

The devs will need to see your logfile which should be in...

/tmp/rimworld_log
~/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Player.log
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

milon

DanielCoffey is correct, but you can see a more detailed thread by following the link in my signature regarding log files.  That'll be a great place to start.  :)

Agroegero

Hey guys. Thanks for the advises. My laptop fan broke down and I already ordered a new one. When  I installed it I will try again. Perhaps the fan was already not working well and that was the reason for the troubles.

Otherwise I will post the log file.

I will let you know.

Agroegero

Hey, it's me again.

So, the new fan is installed but still the game won't work properly. I got rid of the error reports by changing the permissions for the required files (see my posts above).

So, the problems are:
- I can't start the game from terminal anymore, where it worked perfectly. When I try it, I get what you can see in the terminal screenshot I added in my first post. For the logfile (Player.log), see the attachment.
- When I start the game from Steam it is very slow and unplayable. There are no error reports anymore (see first sentence in the post), but the game looks awful, see the screenshot I added.

Hope, anyone has an idea. Thanks a lot in advance.

Agroegero

milon

Just a couple quick thoughts:

1. That doesn't look like a complete log file.  Try deleting the one on your system, run RimWorld & play for a few minutes to re-create the log file, then check it again.  There should be lots of messages about loading resources, current mods in use (Core at minimum), any errors/exceptions the game catches, etc.

2. The image you uploaded is a JPG, which is lossy.  It's hard for me to know what part of "awful" is from the game itself, and what's from the picture being a JPG.  Could you upload a PNG or BMP to an image hosting site and link it here?  Or provide a more verbal description of the awfulness you're seeing?

3. I know very little about *NIX distros, so I can't help diagnose the issue.  :(

Agroegero

Hey milon,

thanks for the quick answer. You can find a png-screenshot here:
https://s22.postimg.org/r310w0zxt/Screenshot_from_2017-03-30_16-16-25.png

I can't attach another player.log, bc none has been created by playing from steam and I can't start the game from the terminal... (see above...)

Instead I attached the rimworld_log from the tmp-folder. But it looks exactly like the one I posted before. I still attached it.

The framerate is approximately 2-3 frames per second.

skullywag

Do you have a gfx card or are you using onboard? the GLXBadFBConfig (dont quote me on this) I believe are related to onboard gfx systems. Could also explain why your quality has dropped.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Agroegero

Quote from: skullywag on March 30, 2017, 10:39:13 AM
Do you have a gfx card or are you using onboard? the GLXBadFBConfig (dont quote me on this) I believe are related to onboard gfx systems. Could also explain why your quality has dropped.
I use a ThinkPad X200 with 2*2,4GHz, 8GB Memory and an onboard graphic chip.

milon

Thanks for the PNG image.  How did you get the super-rare Plush version of RimWorld?  ;)

Anyway, if you're running 64-bit Ubuntu, this might help:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1396959

If that's not it, check for a driver update for your motherboard/graphics (not sure if that would be 1 driver or 2 since it's onboard).