Game suddenly froze and had to force shut down my computer!

Started by Wartuck2551, March 29, 2017, 02:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wartuck2551

My computer completely froze with the speakers repeating the same sound and going crazy. I could not CTRL+ALT+DELETE or turn off using power button. I had to cut the power on the back of my cpu. My screen was still on the game.

I had recently accepted a fleeing vr creator. I did not like her stats so I sent her to combat to be killed by raiders that were chasing her. They kidnapped her and left. There was also some visitors passing through at the same time this happened. They were on there way out as well but the two groups did not meet. I was mining the mountain looking for metal at this time and while my screen was on my miner's progress the game suddenly froze.

I bought the game off steam and have played about 49 hours. First time this has happened. I am worried about playing the game as even Fallout 4 freezing on my computer just required me to close the app.

Below is the log file as requested.

Initialize engine version: 5.4.1f1 (649f48bbbf0f)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1404]
    Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Vendor:   ATI
    VRAM:     1010 MB (via DXGI)
    Caps:     Shader=30 DepthRT=1 NativeDepth=1 NativeShadow=1 DF16=1 INTZ=1 NULL=1 RESZ=1 SlowINTZ=1 ATOC=0
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\Assembly-CSharp.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.UI.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.Networking.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.Linq.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NAudio.dll into Unity Child Domain
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll (this message is harmless)
Loading C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\NVorbis.dll into Unity Child Domain
- Completed reload, in  0.141 seconds
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Core.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\RimWorldWin_Data\Managed\System.Xml.dll (this message is harmless)
<RI> Initializing input.

<RI> Input initialized.

desktop: 1920x1080 60Hz; virtual: 1920x1080 at 0,0
<RI> Initialized touch support.

UnloadTime: 0.907402 ms
RimWorld 0.16.1393 rev536

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 1.166221 ms

Unloading 22 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 6481.
Total: 24.088593 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.375172 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.455045 ms MarkObjects: 23.220743 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.036864 ms)

Loading game from file Cave Minders with mods Core

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 15033.
Total: 316.217255 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.829449 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.019147 ms MarkObjects: 314.319092 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.048000 ms)

nccvoyager

Sounds to me like an internal fatal error.
While the error was not visibly caught by the system, (resulting in a "bluescreen" STOP error message,) it is unlikely to cause any damage to the system.
(If the computer still starts, it should be fine.)
The worst that might happen is some lost data from programs open before the crash.

In the future, pushing and holding the power button in/down for 3-10 seconds (depending on the case and mainboard) may also force-shutdown the system.
(This is a "hard" shutdown just as pulling the power supply is, and may cause loss of data from programs running at the time, just as pulling the power supply might. But, if this type of error has occurred, that ship sailed already at that point.)

To attempt to avoid this type of issue in the future, there are steps you can take.
First, I would suggest you ensure that both your graphics drivers and DirectX installation are completely up to date.
Second, I would suggest ensuring that the system is not overheating while under load.
Make sure all fans and heatsinks are working and clean, and that the computer (whether a tower, workstation, laptop, or other setup) is in a well-ventilated area with all holes unobstructed.
(Some towers also pull air in from the base, so ensuring that the tower is on a flat and hard surface like wood and not carpet may also be best.)
Third, I would certainly suggest making sure that all CPU and GPU hardware is running at factory clock speeds.
Turn off any programs designed to overclock the system.
Fourth, if the HDD RimWorld and the OS are installed on is a HDD and not a SSD, run the Windows Disk Checking tool to check for and attempt to repair bad sectors and/or mark bad sectors as unusable space.
Fifth, a preventative measure would be to run the Memory Diagnostic Tool just in case. (Windows Key + R, type in "mdsched.exe" and click OK, then choose whether to restart now and run the diagnostic, or run the diagnostic the next time the system is restarted. Note that the diagnostic will take quite some time to complete, and you cannot use the computer while the diagnostic is running.)

There are also other reasons a system could fall into a fatal error state, but those suggestions help with the most common ones I have encountered. (They are also the ones I have encountered personally where a STOP "bluescreen" error screen may not appear.)
(Others include a corrupt OS or driver or dependency file, an unhandled out of memory error, a defective or failing mainboard/BIOS, a defective or failing CPU, power overdraw, excessive overclocking of components, or a power surge, among other things.)

Wartuck2551

I have checked out my drivers and I did need to update a sound driver and graphics driver. Which is weird cuz I have programs that do this for me lol.

I did not get a bluescreen. The game froze and in-turn locked up my computer. I do not use overclocking software. I do not mod my games as they can break them.
I am not lost when it comes to my computer but thanks for the suggestions

I am looking for an explanation as to why the game would crash this badly on a save operation.

I loaded up the game last night and it did not happen again. I did realize that this occurred during the save operation. Leaves me to believe it has something to do with the games coding. Never happened before for any of my games; Starcraft 2, Fallout 4, ESO etc.

Wartuck2551

I also do not appreciate my issue being ignored as my computer's fault and moved to support. Thanks guys.

Calahan

Quote from: Wartuck2551 on March 29, 2017, 02:27:14 PM
I also do not appreciate my issue being ignored as my computer's fault and moved to support. Thanks guys.

@ Wartuck - I moved your bug report to the support forum because the log file you supplied is clean. There are no signs of a bug in the game code on display, and if there were signs of a bug in the game code then your report would not have been moved to support. I have also deleted the duplicate thread you created in the bugs forum. If it is established that your problem was caused by a bug in the game code then this thread will be moved to bugs if and when appropriate. But until that time, can you please not take it upon yourself to decide where your thread belongs (by creating a duplicate), especially not after a moderator has made a decision in this regard.

And your issue was not ignored, or dismissed as being the fault of your computer. But the fact is that there could be several possible causes of an error like this, and the only one that seems unlikely at the moment is a bug in the game (primarily due to the clean log file). The developer (Tynan) likes the bug forum to be for confirmed, or at the least suspected, bugs in the game code. At the moment this issue is neither of those things, and so the correct place for it is the support forum (until it can be established otherwise). I am sorry if you do not like that, or that you think your thread belongs in the bug forum, but that is how the forums are organised here, and I would please ask you to respect that.

Edit - As to the cause of the problem you experienced. That is an unknown (at this time), and other than providing "general broad spectrum computer advice" (such as nccvoyager kindly did), then there is not really any specific advice available because there is no clear cause other than "something went wrong". You said you have played the game again since this occurred, and that this issue did not happen again. Lots of programs can experience random unexplained crashes, the cause of which could be one or more a wide list of things, and often not related solely or even partly, to the program itself (and more likely a temporary O/S issue). But the general rule of thumb is that unless a bug or crash is reproducible, then there's not much anyone can do about it. And whether or not a computer is capable of running game X or Y without issue is often not relevant to a one-off crash, as it is impossible (unless the cause is isolated) to determine whether or not any program running at the time would also have crashed under the exact same circumstances.

If this exact same error occurs again then that might be an indication that there is some underlying issue somewhere, at which point it may be possible to formulate some theories as to the cause (and depending on any new information). But a one-off, unreproducible crash, that has left no obvious evidence trail to follow (such as errors being recorded in the log), is just an unavoidable aspect of computer software, and how it interacts with computer hardware.

nccvoyager

Indeed, it is always a good idea to check for driver updates every month or two manually.
I have seen driver management programs fail to update drivers many times.
(Especially DELL driver utilities. They can't even find the official DELL drivers sometimes.)

As-is, my suggestions (while still covering a spectrum of possible causes) were specifically chosen as they were all issues I myself have encountered wherein a kernel panic event occurred, but no STOP error was displayed.

A kernel panic event without a "bluescreen" STOP error being displayed can indeed occur.
I have most often seen this occur on systems with overheating, power over-drawing, or defective GPUs or mainboards, or with systems with out of date drivers or BIOS versions.
I myself had just such an error in December when a program attempted to access a DirectX DLL that had become corrupted.
Since the error caused the GPU to turn off until reboot, no "bluescreen" STOP error was displayed.
The same error caused audio artifacts to be played until I reset the system.
(A loop of the last half-second of music that had been playing before the crash. The first half of the word "bonkers" over and over.)

If you wish to try to diagnose the exact cause of the issue, there may be clues in the Event Viewer.
If RimWorld was the cause of the issue, either directly or indirectly, there might be an entry in there regarding that.

There may also be clues in the memory dump or mini dump created during the crash, though there is no guarantee it was created since, as you have stated, there was no actual "bluescreen" STOP error displayed.

Edit: So, as I was just saying that I have encountered this type of problem before, this exact issue just occurred with my computer. (With any running program/HDD write operation.)
Checking the event log gives me this error.
http://i.imgur.com/Hf5mFGb.png
Event 11 is a system error, not a RimWorld-caused error.
An error that has to do with a loss of communication between the mainboard and the storage device.
It would seem that I have some loose SATA or power cables, my mainboard controller is dying, or my HDD is dying.
Running a chkdsk, my HDD did have some bad sectors, but marking them as inaccessible didn't get rid of the problem.
(Interestingly, if the system is left alone for a few minutes, it may actually recover without throwing a STOP error.)

Final addition: So, just a loose SATA cable for me.
In any case, Wartuck2551, if you check the event viewer for errors, I would be happy to help you diagnose the problem you are having, if I can.