Denied the DRM free version of RimWorld.

Started by CutiesDeathCab, March 29, 2017, 05:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

Seems fair.
23 (48.9%)
I don't really care, I bought it from Ludeon
12 (25.5%)
I don't really care, I bought it from Steam.
5 (10.6%)
Its an outrage! I also bought this on Steam and I want my DRM free version also!
7 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

CutiesDeathCab

Hello all,

I recently purchased the game on steam, as I only saw RimWorld for sale there, Shortly afterwards I had found out that it is possible to of have a DRM free version from the RimWorld website itself, And anyone who bought it there is allowed to have the exact same game license put onto steam (Not two copies of the game, Still only one copy, Only you have the option of using it DRM free via the download they provide, or the steam version downloadable via steam).

After realising this I emailed a help link to Ludeon Studios to which I was denied being allowed access to the DRM free version of my games license.

Why is it that If you buy it from the website you can have the license on and off of steam, and yet if you buy the game from steam, you are ONLY allowed the steam version?

What do you guys think about this?

I could easily ask steam for a refund from RimWorld (not enough online in-game time) and then simply use those funds on the RimWorld website and get the game there, then activate it again on steam. But then I lose out on transaction fee's and the conversion from AUD to USD as well as the time It would take to do all of that(Damn PayPal).

What do you guys think about this, How would you have felt if you bought it from steam and found this out afterwards? What do you all think I should do? (I mainly play on PC's without Steam).

~CutiesDeathCab

Greep

Not being a defenderbro of ludeon, but indie games can lose horrendous amounts of money to abuse surrounding access keys.  If it's a problem for them, just let it go.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

CutiesDeathCab

Quote from: Greep on March 29, 2017, 05:57:56 AM
Not being a defenderbro of ludeon, but indie games can lose horrendous amounts of money to abuse surrounding access keys.  If it's a problem for them, just let it go.
I understand where you are coming from, However its ONE key, which they said themselves..

Greep

*shrug* as for refunding on steam, refund via steam wallet, no paypal issues :D  You know you'll buy 30 bucks of steam games over your lifespan lol.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

SpaceDorf

I was allready looking for Nelson Muntz pictures to post ..

but I staid strong and will stay out of another Steam discussion.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

skullywag

Well think about it, you buy on steam, steam takes like 30% of that, now you want a DRM version given away free to you which Ludeon would have got ALL the money for if youd have bought it from them, they lose money doing it this way. The other way round they dont. They obviously want to keep the DRM free version available for purchase as they get more money if its bought via the website.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

CutiesDeathCab

Quote from: skullywag on March 29, 2017, 06:28:57 AM
Well think about it, you buy on steam, steam takes like 30% of that, now you want a DRM version given away free to you which Ludeon would have got ALL the money for if youd have bought it from them, they lose money doing it this way. The other way round they dont. They obviously want to keep the DRM free version available for purchase as they get more money if its bought via the website.
I've decided to get a refund from steam. I'm going to be buying it directly afterwards

skullywag

CutiesDeathCab

After re-reading what I've written it looks like I'm angry. Can I just clarify I wasn't angry? Haha. It just seemed that way when I went back over it. Sorry if anyone got confused over that. :)

Ramsis

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

skullywag

Bar0th

If you copy the RimWorld folder out of steam, and place it somewhere else, it will give an error about a Steam error, with the option to ignore or quit.  If you click ignore, you are playing the game without Steam...  That's really the only difference between the Steam/DRM-free version.  Manually installing mods on the Steam version works as well, regardless of whether it's running through Steam or not.

Having it running through Steam allows easier mod installation, but I move them from the workshop folder to the mods folder anyway, so that I don't worry about random mod updates causing issues.  Sure, having a completely DRM-free version might be a nice thing to include for people who purchase the game on Steam (check their account for games they own, and re-check on each DRM-free download to confirm the person still owns it on steam), but as I said it's not really necessary.

Limdood

Quote from: CutiesDeathCab on March 29, 2017, 05:58:52 AM
Quote from: Greep on March 29, 2017, 05:57:56 AM
I understand where you are coming from, However its ONE key, which they said themselves..

It seems like it is one key....but giving you a key sets a precedent...other people could come flocking to forrums demanding their key as well, which, technically, they'd have an argument for - after all, their situations are probably similar

GiantSpaceHamster

It would be nice if you could provide proof of steam purchase and pay whatever the steam cut is to Ludeon to get a DRM-free version without another steam key, but that's probably more work to put together and support for a handful of customers than Ludeon wants to deal with. But it would be nice. I too didn't realize I could get it outside Steam and regret buying through Steam.

Perq

Just to add: always try to buy from indie developers directly. Not that I hate steam, but lately they are giving too little shit about their platform, so I see no reason to not give extra buck to indie studios (which need it a lot).
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.