Interesting and fun starting conditions

Started by Syrchalis, March 29, 2017, 12:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

What do you guys enjoy - aside from the standard scenarios?

I like the "starting with nothing" scenario. However, having just one person, even for the first few days is really boring, so I want to try a start with two people. I'm not sure if tribal or colonist start, but probably tribal, because it's more difficult and interesting.
Also I would like to play on a non-mountain map, so my base has to be in the open.

It's also the reason I never really went with the rich explorer start. While in theory it sounds fun, the first few days are just really boring.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

b0rsuk

Try to roll all colonists with 0 Growing, and give yourself a few cows or chickens. In scenario settings, disable sowing plants in the ground. Pick a biome with a winter.

Granitecosmos

Quote from: Granitecosmos on March 21, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
Randy Random Rough is what I prefer. Classic Randy douchebaggery without bullcrap lategame raids.

However.

• I don't use killboxes.
  • I don't build mountain bases.
  • I actually prefer flatlands instead of hills/mountains.
  • I've built my most recent turret, like, I don't know, half a year ago? I don't even bother with Turret Research anymore.
  • I play as tribe at least 90% of the time.
  • I actually made a custom scenario for myself that I've been using for months now. It starts me off with just one guy, tribal colony, with just a Tribalwear and one Steel Spear. No additional items. No additional resources or food. Git gud or git ded.
  • I prefer Boreal Forests with -25°C or less average winter temperature. I start in Fall and can't grow crops until the next summer.
  • Savescumming is for the weak. In my colonies, glory and death walk hand in hand.
  • No humanoid butchering unless starvation hits. Human leather is too profitable. I'll be drowning in silver anyway but I prefer harder methods.
  • No organ harvesting for profit, for the same reason mentioned one line above.
  • No reroll on colonists. Even if it's a one-man start with a pacifist demented sheriff. Surviving with a guy like that is what makes one a better player.
The only reason I don't play on higher difficulties anymore is because raid scaling gets ridiculously out of hand lategame. I prefer events that actually can be solved over a stat check of "Have you built a killbox/are you using an exploit? If not, you're dead." because I fail to see the fun in the latter.

Trust me, it's fun. The latest game I got a 89 years old granny with cataracts and three scars as my starter colonist. She caught the plague 6 days after start, wanderer offered to join when she was at ~65% infection and already unconscious. She died but the colony is one years old now and has 6 colonists. Just accepted the 6th, of course it's a Sheriff.  ::)  Total of two casulaties so far, I hope it increases, I like the drama. Still no electricity, my guys are doing "real" work instead of shuffling papers.  ;)  Got a pile of 1000 dogfood pemmican as emergency food, only have to cycle it every 3 years thanks to -26℃ average winter temperature. I hunt for food but have a small stockpile of rice for the coldest days when no game is around. I sell leather clothing as result. 1000 silver stockpile right now, industry still in early stages as I had to wait half a year for a pawn with passion for crafting. The starting skill of 3 didn't help either.

Once I get some good pawns I'll exile the subhuman trash less efficient ones and set up a penal mining colony nearby. Closest mountain is over 10 tiles away, though.

Syrchalis

Good idea b0rsuk.

I already do quite a bit of that Granitecosmos, though I despise pawns that refuse to do dumb labor. If I have something that needs moving I pick the closest pawn and tell him to do it. And constantly running into that lord or sheriff and getting the nice grey box of "nope" makes me want to bash my head on the keyboard.

So none of these are allowed in my colony and I reroll them at the start.

Currently considering doing a "two rich explorers" start with less starting gear to offset the additional colonist.

Last game I played with Phoebe, but on intense - sadly that was not a good idea, because she makes events so rare it becomes boring. Also she threw 34 tribals at me pretty early in the game, which was insane.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Greep

Well, the game seriously ramps up escape pods and wanderer joins if your pop is less than 4, so I don't think single colonist start should be that boring.  Haven't tried it, though.  It would be funny to do a single colonist no recruits game, but since I don't think you can apply treatment to yourself it would be a pretty short game xD
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Wanderer_joins

I like the hostile start: turn factions hostile at start, only trade with orbital traders, disable friendly visits/ meetings

keylocke

i came back from a long hiatus just to convey this very important message :

nekid cannibal lesbians

no regrets..

b0rsuk

Quote from: keylocke on March 30, 2017, 10:48:16 AM

nekid cannibal lesbians

no regrets..

There's a pretty safe for work game

LESBIAN
SPIDER-QUEENS
OF MARS

It's a bit similar to PAC-MAN. Make sure to use the shortcut on the difficulty selection screen otherwise it starts so easyt it's boring.

eadras

Quote from: Syrchalis on March 29, 2017, 08:19:52 PM
Good idea b0rsuk.

I already do quite a bit of that Granitecosmos, though I despise pawns that refuse to do dumb labor. If I have something that needs moving I pick the closest pawn and tell him to do it. And constantly running into that lord or sheriff and getting the nice grey box of "nope" makes me want to bash my head on the keyboard.

So none of these are allowed in my colony and I reroll them at the start.

Currently considering doing a "two rich explorers" start with less starting gear to offset the additional colonist.

Last game I played with Phoebe, but on intense - sadly that was not a good idea, because she makes events so rare it becomes boring. Also she threw 34 tribals at me pretty early in the game, which was insane.
You can change the storyteller and difficulty level at any time through the options menu.  Phoebe is definitely slower-paced than the others.  I haven't played with her since my first colony.

Greep

Quote from: keylocke on March 30, 2017, 10:48:16 AM

nekid cannibal lesbians

no regrets..

.. I think you two are meaning...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Women_in_the_Avocado_Jungle_of_Death
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Syrchalis

Quote from: eadras on March 30, 2017, 01:15:34 PM
You can change the storyteller and difficulty level at any time through the options menu.  Phoebe is definitely slower-paced than the others.  I haven't played with her since my first colony.
I know and I did - I was just surprised how little happened with Phoebe on intense. I had 3 raids in like 2 years or so.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Syrchalis on March 30, 2017, 03:24:59 PM
Quote from: eadras on March 30, 2017, 01:15:34 PM
I know and I did - I was just surprised how little happened with Phoebe on intense. I had 3 raids in like 2 years or so.

It's a pity, because she has the cutest image. The best image is wasted on something you don't play.

Brutetal

Recently had much fun with harder varieties of my "war survivor" setting.
The permanent toxic fallout ensures there is zero wildlife and not a single plant growing.
The two brothers start sometimes with no materials and they're tribals.
Also, I like to give them the nervous/very nervous and depressive trait.

Had many colonies failing with glory haha :D