Denied the DRM free version of RimWorld.

Started by CutiesDeathCab, March 29, 2017, 05:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think?

Seems fair.
23 (48.9%)
I don't really care, I bought it from Ludeon
12 (25.5%)
I don't really care, I bought it from Steam.
5 (10.6%)
Its an outrage! I also bought this on Steam and I want my DRM free version also!
7 (14.9%)

Total Members Voted: 47

b0rsuk

Steam is DRM no matter how you slice it. I only use it where absolutely necessary (for example you can't post on a steam forum without Steam). It's a glorified single tab browser.

I bought outside Steam, I got bot the DRM-free version and a Steam key.

Tynan

We have no way to verify if or who owns the game on Steam.

Worse, we have no good way to cut off Drm Free access if you refund the Steam copy.

Multiply these problems by hundreds of thousands of players and it becomes totally infeasible. That's why no game company does this.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

CutiesDeathCab

Quote from: Tynan on March 30, 2017, 08:29:43 PM
We have no way to verify if or who owns the game on Steam.

Worse, we have no good way to cut off Drm Free access if you refund the Steam copy.

Multiply these problems by hundreds of thousands of players and it becomes totally infeasible. That's why no game company does this.

That all seems fair, after the way that you said it,

However; I can verify ownership of RimWorld, I have a paypal and a steam receipt both showing RimWorld on them, and also the link to my steam profile shows I have the game. (I ended up deciding not to get a refund, and now my hours have gone over the limit to which they would even consider giving me one)

And one last thing, OMG Tynan spoke on my post. *dies*

Stormfox

Yeah, the situation might be slightly sucky for you right now, but its not the end of the world. But if Tynan and his mini-crew of helpers had to handle hundreds of ownership requests like yours every month, there would barely be time to do anything else, I fear. If rimworld had sold 500 copies total on steam, checking a few credentials would be feasible, but luckily, this game was pretty succesful. It is simply a can of worms a small indie developer cannot open.

CutiesDeathCab

Quote from: Stormfox on March 30, 2017, 08:51:01 PM
Yeah that is quite true. Another thing I literally just thought of would be like a "reverse" steam authentication. it might take a little bit to set up but it would be very similar to how they allow the drm free license to be used on steam as well.

Just have it so that you log in with steam. Then you can get a DRM-free download with the license that is used on your steam account. That'd automate the process.
I understand that it would take time, However when and or if Ludeon changes the Steam version so that it can only be played while steam is on, I'd Pretty much rely on having a DRM free version. I play the game portably, using a usb which has a batch to put the save files on the usb

If any developers wanted to look at how this could work Click here More specifically This one is a wiki link for dev's

Thanks

~CutiesDeathCab

RawCode

well, please explain why you do want DRM free version and what will change for you in case of DRM free version.
If you just don't want to run steam, what reasons behind that "do not want".

also, what OS you are using, i hope you are aware that all versions of windows have DRM included?

and what is your browser, i hope you are aware that google steal your personal data just like all it's forks, IE, firefox\opera of latests versions and infamous flash plugin that callhome every time to check for updates.

CutiesDeathCab

Drm free because at some point or another eventually you'll be forced to have Steam enabled to play rimworld. (Happens almost always). I don't always use steam and all of my computers. I do use Windows 10. And as for the browser. I usually use opera without any plug-ins.  I'm constantly using a vpn. (Old habit) and I don't use Google.  I use either disconnect.me or DuckDuckGo.

Tl:Dr I play Rimworld off a USB stick, as I travel frequently. And I use computers which aren't always mine thus not allowing the installation of steam.

RawCode

well, rimworld is not your only problem and not main one, have a good conspiracy theory day.

CutiesDeathCab

Haha, I like my privacy, But i'm not a nutjob. :)
No offence to anyone that is though.

b0rsuk

When I purchase a board game, I own it and can rent it to anyone or sell it.

When I pay for a computer game, suddenly a bunch of people start questioning my motives and telling me what I can and can't do with my game. They do it for the same reason a lion licks its balls: because they can. The same reason why ebooks are not cheaper than paper books, and can even be more expensive.

Greep

I have a sneaky suspicion this thread has run it's course and will only go off a cliff xD
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Calahan

^^ Yes I think so too. Tynan himself has given some of the reasons why a DRM-free copy isn't provided to Steam purchasers, and the OP appears to have found a (hopefully satisfactory) solution to the issue that prompted the creation of this thread. So this thread has served its purpose, and judging by the most recent posts, is starting to go both O/T and downhill.