Reasons to move your colony

Started by DaMuchi, March 29, 2017, 11:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaMuchi

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anybody can share with me any reasons why you would want to move your colony to another location besides the alternative win condition. Does the world map, besides biomes, temperature and seasons, affect gameplay? i.e proximity to raider camps or being on an island.

Canute

1. The AI who offer you a free passage is at the other side of the planet. And a straight travel would extend your food stock. Then switching to a nomadic playstyle would be interesting.

2. yes, closer hostile neightboors can increase the raid possible. And no, on island you arn't safe from raiders.

3. You played the Tiberium mod, and your whole map glowing green, all visitors,trader and even raiders are dead before they even see your colony. Then maybe its time for a change.

b0rsuk

I think it counters toxic fallout, poison ship and psychic ship ?

Greep

Moving your whole fort permanently? Usually not much point.  Can be worthwhile temporarily for more mining operations, hunting, etc. 
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Perq

Sadly, there is little point in doing that. Even mining is usually too much effort. :V Because if you want to get mining going, you usually have to also make components on site, since metal itself is too damn heavy, and we don't have means of transporting such heavy stuff (like, vehicles and shit).
The only case in which it was worth it for me to make secondary base was when there was a place in which plants grew a little better... so I could get more food (mainly for life stock). Not to mention that transporting it in caravans wasn't very easy, given the large quantities and the way caravans are handled atm (aka I will starve to death, but I will load that shit!).
But that was the only ever reason to do so.

Next Alpha update seems to fix a lot of those problems, so I'm waiting impatiently for that. :P

tl;dr yes, there are reasons to do so, but you are usually better of making secondary bases than abandoning it as a whole.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

b0rsuk

But it makes for fun goals if you set them yourself. For example "move your base every year". I think it's also a better adventure if you travel to the friendly AI ship instead of the same old "build the ship".

Nipponton

It was fantastic and I followed this story many sites already. But I can not see data like this before.

Wishmaster

Not much reasons to be honest or at least not sufficient to give up your well settled base.
Traveling should be made more relevant may with some key tiles with high rewards.

ChJees

Quote from: Wishmaster on March 31, 2017, 06:28:12 AM
Not much reasons to be honest or at least not sufficient to give up your well settled base.
Traveling should be made more relevant may with some key tiles with high rewards.

Like a tile with a Psychic Soothe effect permanently active BUT its guarded by Mechanoids who will fuck you up if you are not armed good enough.

Also in my most recent game i was forced to migrate because i got a Heat Wave and Toxic Fallout effect very early on. Literally just grabbed whatever i had and moved to a nearby hill.

From this to this. Difference between a slow death and prosperity.

Wishmaster

Quote from: ChJees on March 31, 2017, 07:37:14 AM
Quote from: Wishmaster on March 31, 2017, 06:28:12 AM

Like a tile with a Psychic Soothe effect permanently active BUT its guarded by Mechanoids who will fuck you up if you are not armed good enough.

Also in my most recent game i was forced to migrate because i got a Heat Wave and Toxic Fallout effect very early on. Literally just grabbed whatever i had and moved to a nearby hill.

From this to this. Difference between a slow death and prosperity.

I was more thinking about abundant resources or super fertile soil.
but why not.

And dodging map conditions is way to easy for now. you just have to move one tile away.

Some map conditions like heat wave or fallout should cover a certain region of the globe.