Anyone have a system of restraining/punishment in their colony?

Started by SnoggyTheBear, March 31, 2017, 09:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnoggyTheBear

I mean I know you don't need one but when you got a successful mid-late game colony with a lot of people getting all the tasks done. It's fun to put one in place.
My system of punishment is:
By the way these are different punishments you may receive.

Injuring another colonist which results in a minor non threatening life injury:
-Up to 2 seasons (30 days) in prison.
-Up to a year (60 days) of being restricted indoors (Give them the good ol cabin fever)
-Room size gets downgraded to those really small ones I made at the start of the game which is like 4x1 and this is for 1 year.

Injuring another colonist which results in a major life threatening injury:
-Up to 2 years (120 days) in prison.
-After prison time you are restricted indoors for another 30 days.

Killing a colonist:
-Very long prison sentence. (5 years or 300 days.)
-After sentence restricted indoors forever.

Killing multiple colonists:
-Life sentence in prison.
-Organ harvested kept in prison for a year and then sold off to a slaver.
-Being fed to the local wildlife.
-Being banished from the colony and being sent to a nearby enemy factions base with nothing but a log.

Oooh boy restraining colonists is probably the most fun.
You know when they just get into those annoying social fights?
Oh I do they may be short but it can result in an injured colonist.
How do I deal with them:
I get some guy(s) to equip my worst quality pistol that does damage but very slow and non life threatening.
I mow em down with the guns that won't kill them.
Then they get sent to the hospital and I figure out their punishment.

So any of you guys got a system I mean it makes late game much more fun. Managing sentences and how to destroy your colonists lives.

grrizo

Well, that's an interesting system, and sounds fun.

I just have a policy of two/three seasons in a 4x4 before recruiting or releasing, whatever happens first.
No cleaning, no good medicine, no joy, no comfort, no temperature regulation.
If he/she escapes, will be dragged inside and throwed into a 2x2 cell.
If hurts or kills someone, it will be executed. Easy peasy.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Jarwy

Injuring another colonist which results in a minor non threatening life injury:
- administer a beer, the other one probably got a few punches in

Injuring another colonist which results in a major life threatening injury:
- administer a beer and a joint, check for missing ears and such

Killing a colonist:
- no beer or joint, call the pawn mean names, like, stinky and poop face

Killing multiple colonists:
- construct a small 2x2 room with a bed, remove legs, arms and a kidney, wait for the painkillers to stop working and then vent hot air into the pawns box until it burns to death, deconstruct box, feed corpse to colony animals

Ukas

Your system seems pretty thorough. Don't people escape a lot from your prisons?

Just two punishments:

- I'm okay with colonists using weed and booze, but multiple assaults or fights under influence results solitary time in detox cell, until the addiction is gone.

- Killing more than one colonist results meeting with a firing squad. This is what I call the "Hartman Code". There's a story. Hartman was a skilled colonist; good builder, crafter and shooter, plus okay medic, so he was the MVP in first few caravans. But he had a temper, even there was no obvious reason for it such as a problematic trait or an addiction. He was often in fist fights against other colonists, and even killed another valuable member of community. Accidents can happen, so that was not punished, but then one year later, during a caravan trip, he killed another. Couldn't punish that one either, because survival of returning caravan was a priority. But when they got back home he immediately picked up a fight with another colonist almost killing her. After that he was put against a wooden pole and shot by a six member execution squad, thus giving birth and name to the Hartman Code.

Granitecosmos

I always have 2-3 melee steel spear pawns minimum. These guys are also my police force. Drug binge? Arrest. Don't like it? Appy spear. I don't give a damn about survival rate, that's the punishment. Berserk? Spear. Mental break in times of need? Arrest or spear, take your choice. Colonist McBloodlust looking for a fight in the dining room again? I'll make sure the bastard gets a fight. Fists vs spear, totally fair.

Quote from: Ukas on April 01, 2017, 07:18:55 AM
Killing more than one colonist results meeting with a firing squad.

Third berserk break and still alive after the spear treatment? I wait for the bastard to fully heal then draft, stand next to a wall, then order 3 pawns with survival rifles (normal or better) to shoot the troublemaker from 10 tiles range.

Sometimes they survive, only to go berserk again. Apply spear as usual. They get to stand next to the wall after another 3 berserk breaks. Sometimes I throw my D20 for some "random" accident involving one of these deviants.

SnoggyTheBear

Quote from: Ukas on April 01, 2017, 07:18:55 AM
Your system seems pretty thorough. Don't people escape a lot from your prisons?

Just two punishments:

- I'm okay with colonists using weed and booze, but multiple assaults or fights under influence results solitary time in detox cell, until the addiction is gone.

- Killing more than one colonist results meeting with a firing squad. This is what I call the "Hartman Code". There's a story. Hartman was a skilled colonist; good builder, crafter and shooter, plus okay medic, so he was the MVP in first few caravans. But he had a temper, even there was no obvious reason for it such as a problematic trait or an addiction. He was often in fist fights against other colonists, and even killed another valuable member of community. Accidents can happen, so that was not punished, but then one year later, during a caravan trip, he killed another. Couldn't punish that one either, because survival of returning caravan was a priority. But when they got back home he immediately picked up a fight with another colonist almost killing her. After that he was put against a wooden pole and shot by a six member execution squad, thus giving birth and name to the Hartman Code.

Did the guy have negative relations with almost every colonist?
Also the people who get the five year sentence sometimes do but then it just results in me expanding the time their in there if they do any injuries, normally if they try
a) If power is up my turrets gun em down.
b) If no power I send people in with awful quality pistols to restrain them.

Sola

Depends on what happens to whom.  If you screw with a pawn I've taken a liking to, you're getting harvested.  If you're mental breaking more than I like, you're getting euthanized.

Or, in the case of my Sea Ice run, Ben married Engie, screwed around, then divorced her after dumping the person he was screwing around with. Ben, incapable of firefighting, was left behind with the base while everyone else left.  One Zzzt! will be his end.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Ukas

Quote from: SnoggyTheBear on April 01, 2017, 11:48:49 AM
Did the guy have negative relations with almost every colonist?

Surprisingly not so much, although there was like a big faction in the colony he didn't like or get along with, but Hartman behaved well during caravans. I had to replace one of the normal bunch I chose to drive muffalos because of sickness, and that was exactly the same guy Hartman killed. Though beforehand their relationship was pretty much neutral. I started to use expanded incidents mod in January,  so I was keeping an eye on relationships between colonists and especially muffalo drivers, because it makes different kind of rivaling cliques and factions possible.

PotatoeTater

I've actually never had a colonist kill another colonist. I usually keep melee weapons on racks and only equip them when needed. It really keeps down colonists from hurting each other, plus if you have a lot of community games placed together colonists tend to grow to like eachother more.
Life is Strange

makkenhoff

The one thing I don't tolerate in my colonies are violent outbursts towards other colonists. I don't take issue with the odd bar brawl, I take issue with crippling injuries and death.

My system is a 3 mental break rule, though it unfairly targets pyromaniacs, depressives, pessimists, neurotics, permanently scarred pawns, brawlers, abrasives, bloodthirsty types, people who are too smart, greedy, or even jealous people.

I give them 3 chances, if they have a violent breakdown that 4th time, I've got a coffin ready for them, sometimes on a particularly bad case, they get fed to the colony carnivore. (Think of it as a low-tech DNA destruction method, prevents cloning the body to reform the person.) The one crime that typically requires an immediate execution as the only solution: the kin-slayer. (The mood penalties for a good relationship are too much, typically they are an event away from berserk for almost a year.)

zeidrich

I like to play in the universe, so to me it doesn't make sense to punish pawns.  There's no benefit to it, it doesn't make anyone feel happier, it doesn't deter outbursts, it doesn't prevent the pawn from doing it in the future.

I think that if I were to actually do something like this, that the behavior would have to support it.  For instance, if a pawn started a fight, the victim, and possibly friends of the victim would get a negative mood that a colonist was assaulted.  Put him in jail, and there is a competing mood that says that a criminal was imprisoned.  Eventually both of those moods wear off, and if you leave the prisoner in jail, there gets to be a negative "Innocent colonist imprisoned" mood for the prisoner's friends, and eventually the rest of the colony.

Kind pawns maybe are affected by anyone being jailed inappropriately, psychopaths aren't fazed by imprisonment or crimes against anyone but themselves.

If this were a kind of behavior in the game, then I would imprison colonists.  But it's not, so just like I don't roleplay growing wheat for my beer, or smelting my steel, I don't pretend to punish prisoners. Instead, I try to keep them happy so they don't start further social fights, or keep them away from people that they hate.  For instance, don't have two pawns who hate eachother sitting next to one another doing research all day, they will fight and it will be your fault, not theirs.  You're the only one with a brain. :)