Rimworld Hates Me

Started by deshara218, April 10, 2017, 12:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deshara218

Settled into a mountainous map that just happened to have a valley that runs perpendicular to the coast, then at its very end cuts over to give access to the sea, giving me a perfect V shaped chokepoint to build my base into. Smoothing the valley walls to give 0 cover between entering the valley & actually reaching my buildings at the depth of the valley took very little time, so I set up my rice farm, built my fishing pier, laid down my barbed wire apertures across the entrance, built my trench just far enough from my buildings to not affect my base's beauty, then ordered every inch of dirt between my trench and the barbed wire fence across the entrance of the valley planted with tall grass to deter tree growth and slow any attackers, filled the No Man's Land with incendiary landmines, then had every inch of un-plantable rock at the base of the walls covered in barbed wire and bought an AMR and a soviet DMR.

My base was invincible, without cheesing. Nobody could even get close to us. To reach the base would require crawling over barbed wire and trudging through brush while surviving a good hour's sustained sniper fire without recourse. As winter nears we're even building a mortar fire-base into the trench-line so even a siege will be doomed to failure. Our stockpiles are full, our fields are full of the highest yield crop available to us, unharvested because we simply don't have room for all this food-- our cafeteria's freezer has already become nearly half the size of our entire base. So as we watch the last rain & settle in for the cold months, I discover as a the rain stops & a lightning bolt strikes into my freezer that every single colonist I've gotten (accepting all), save for one single (by-now crippled) starter, will not fight a fire.

I set my firefighter to go put out what he can in the foodstores so my other colonists can transfer as much as we can out, but the fire started right next to the door, so it's a close fit and there isn't much time. I send a colonist to go deconstruct a new entrance at the far side of the building, but before he can get there the colonist in the store with the firefighter gets in a social fight (apparently one of them was rude!?) and gets his ass knocked out. So I stop the door-digger, send him to drag the idiot out of the room which is quickly approaching 1,000 degrees (f or c, you ask? At that point it doesn't matter) intending to make him take his place but then he, and I kid you not, has a mental break, goes berserk, enters the 1,000 degree furnace of a food store and stabs my lone firefighter unconscious before leaving him and his helper in the blaze.

By the time my colonists have dragged the poor lone firefighter out of the blaze, stripped their homes of metal & laid down a concrete firestop to save what we can, the fire has already spread to every single thing save for my colonists' bunkhouses. The food, the fields, the stockpiles, all the ammunition & weapons & apparel, gone. The fuel & generators are all gone too. There is no medicine for the one firefighter, so he's incapacitated permanently, and as the final vestige of flame begins to burn out, deprived of fuel, and I contemplate just how doomed my colony is a final, last-minute winter-rain graces us with an hour of sprinkle and the back-up battery I kept in one of the bunkhouses to ensure my colonists never freeze to death, which has been stripped of its walls and roof to make the firestop, explodes into flames and the rain stops.

So, to all of you who ask about making Rimworld multiplayer; it already is. There is no way my game isn't linked to the internet with Tynan sitting on the other side, cackling as they doom us

Belgord

Oooooofffff. That's a painfully epic end?? to a rimworld game. What difficulty were you playing on? Sounds like a randy beat down.

deshara218

Randy Rough. Is that normal? Haha I can't stand playing this game on easy or predictable mode, but this game ends my runs in weirdly specific ways. Like the year in-game time I just spent having nonstop and frequently simultaneous raids, four mechanoid assaults, a poison ship-- all of which were fine, never lost a colonist to the nonstop sieges, but also every one of my colonists dies from malaria without exception, at almost exactly the rate that I get them and I literally can't produce or buy enough medicine to keep them from dying in ones or two so I can't get more than 3 even though I accept every join offer I get.

The game literally ended that run by just exhausting me of having to cremate %100 of my colonists who've massacred raiders & pirates by the dozens with a disease I can do nothing about