[1.0] Portable camping stoves

Started by AileTheAlien, July 02, 2018, 04:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AileTheAlien

In 1.0, normal stoves are haulable, so you could make caravans with them. However, that doesn't seem thematically appropriate, since they should be too heavy to take on most caravans. So, I've started a mod to make some camping stoves. One wood-fueled, one chem-fueled, and one that doesn't need fuel, similar to Vanometric Power Cells. They can only make simple meals, but that seems better anyways. If you want fancy food, get more pack animals, so you can haul a proper stove!

The things I need to finish are:
1. Done. Figure out how to patch BenchBase, so normal stoves are heavier. (Or how to patch the fueled and electric stoves directly.)
2. Get proper art.
3. Done. Make the archotech stove a rare reward from quests?

Canute

Why not portable Nutri paste dispencer ? :-)

lllMWNlll

Eating food with chemfuel... have a nasty flavor... Assuming it's something like gasoline...

AileTheAlien

I could probably make a portable paste-dispenser, but you'd have to wonder what kind of person would have the technology to miniturize a nutrient-paste dispenser, but still have it produce bad-tasting stuff. Actually, that sounds like exactly the type of practical joke a super-advanced, bored AI would pull... I can probably finish that while my supper cooks!

As for the chemfuel - I could probably add in some kind of gaseous fuel type, but since nothing else would be using it, I'm happy enough with the hand-wave, that chemfuel canisters either represent gasoline, kerosene, natural gas, or propane, as the usage requires. :)

lllMWNlll

AileTheAlien

You can actually play with it right now; Everything works except the bad graphics, and the archotech / infinite stove isn't a quest reward. But you can spawn it in a custom scenario, which is basically why I even made it in the first place. :)

I also added the portable NPD in a separate mod, although it requires my NPD mod to work.

BlackSmokeDMax

Any reason not to just use campfires?

Are you going to perhaps make the fuel size small so that it would be preferable to using the 20 wood (is that the right qty??) for a campfire that you get no wood back on in newest builds?

Or perhaps just not the 50% cooking speed penalty? Maybe 80% instead, so it still would not be as good as a full sized stove?

AileTheAlien

It uses less fuel than a normal stove, and I just added the work-speed penalty. (I had actually not thought about that, so it was 100%.) Wood stove is 80% normal cooking speed, chemfuel is 90%, archotech is 95%.

Ruisuki

I reeeeally want this. I had a discussion about it with someone picking up the mod camping stuff but that portable stove is so terribly inefficient. A base campfire is far far better than it and it doesnt even use chemfuel either, making it a joke of an addon to the mod. If you can accomplish a better version I would look into a way to remove the portable camp stove from CS.

AileTheAlien

Do you mean a better version of that whole mod, or just the stove? The only thing I'm missing is graphics for the stove, now. Sleeping rolls/bags are part of the base game in 1.0 (or is it already in B18?). As for tents, I could easily make "tents" which you just build out of some special-purpose wall, and special-purpose material. I don't have time to do any C# stuff, so I don't think I'd be able to have the same functionality, where a single item expands into a full-size tent, without individual pieces.

Ruisuki

Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 10, 2018, 11:09:26 PM
Do you mean a better version of that whole mod, or just the stove? The only thing I'm missing is graphics for the stove, now. Sleeping rolls/bags are part of the base game in 1.0 (or is it already in B18?). As for tents, I could easily make "tents" which you just build out of some special-purpose wall, and special-purpose material. I don't have time to do any C# stuff, so I don't think I'd be able to have the same functionality, where a single item expands into a full-size tent, without individual pieces.
Just the stove. camping stuff is a great mod for the tents alone(could use backpacks though) though is a bit outdated given Tynan released bedrolls in the base game and as I previously mentioned the stoves inefficiency given how the portable stove it comes with uses chemfuel to refuel, has less recipes, and weaker recipes (less available materials/no bulk) compared to what you can cook with a regular campfire. Really the main problem with it is the recipes, as chemfuel is a good idea in itself, but if the recipes are weaker than a campfire why use it over base game.

Canute

Maybe a fully fueled portable stove weight less then 25 wood you would need to create a campfire ?
A regular camping stove just got a smaller flame, compared to a campfire. On a campfire you can put larger cooking pot or maybe 2, which allow bulk recipes.

So the big advance of the stove is the weight and the reuseability.
The campfire can cook better, burn stuff and is a gathering spot.

AileTheAlien

I worked a bit more on this this weekend, in between some other minor updates to my other mods. I think what I'd want to do long-term (i.e. I can finish it in a couple more evenings/weekends, or on my next vacation) is split out the different cooking things into slightly-overlapping things, rather than how they're mostly-overlapping in the base game. I'd also add some more restrictions, so that players are encouraged to use the things differently:

Electric Stove
- make it heat up the room a bit more than it does now, when in use (encourage separate kitchens)
- increased weight (can't take on small caravans)
- still has the most recipes
- is still the most efficient (no wood-hauling)

Wood Stove
- heats up rooms more than electric, but less than campfire (because campfire is constant, not while in use)
- also increased weight
- same recipes as electric
- basically, a slightly-worse version of electric, but not affected by solar flares

Campfire
- heats up rooms the most, constantly
- uses the most wood
- only simple meals, burn drugs, burn apparel
- is social spot

Wood Camping Stove
- minimal heat while in use
- very small (can be in room / solo ice-sheet shack)
- can be easily taken on caravans
- less wood used than campfire (only while in use?), but more than full-size stove
- can only make simple meals and pekoe tea
- can burn drugs, but not apparel (it's too small)
- not a social spot
- faster work speed than campfire (but gets outdoors penalty? not sure)

Chemfuel Camping Stove
- very long times between refueling
- also small
- simple meals, pekoe tea, fine meal
- even faster workspeed
- can't burn drugs
- not a social spot

Archotech Camping Stove
- can't be built, only bought (expensive), special reward, or scenario start
- pretty much the same as chemfuel, but faster workspeed (maybe the same as a normal stove), and no refueling

I think part of the reason that these stoves have no use (right now), is that chopping trees is so effortless in vanilla. Even with unskilled laborers, you can chop down enough trees to run a stove for several meals, or to cook the entire herd of muffalos you hunted while healing after raiding a bandit fortress. That's another mod I want to make - make most trees slower to chop, but have some crappy small ones (like the brambles already in-game, but make it choppable) that are fast and small.