[A17] Epic Omega - Fantasy Total Conversion (WIP - Build 13c) [29 Oct 17]

Started by The-Eroks, April 02, 2017, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-Eroks

As promised... here is a preview of Build 05: medieval raptor hunt (featuring Ish's Medieval Armor and Weapons)!

Seems one of those warriors got themselves a set of turtle-plate armor  ;)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

The-Eroks

Update - Ish's Medieval Mods have all been incorporated. Next focus is on Expanded Traits and some quick work with Thoughts. Next build release is on track for Sunday (it's starting to look like an actual game now!)  ;D

The-Eroks

Alright... build 05 has been released, and this will be the last release for [A16]. Next major focus will be to convert everything to the [A17] standard, than continue work on adding mod comps  8)

CopaKindred

Questions added to worksheet doc for Erok; standins for all classes added with at least themely abilities; list of 202 traits to start working on - questions about limits of coding added to sheet need answering; All Adherent Ethoi finished (editing pass needed), begun on devotees, 17 non-religious alignments added as well, wondering if we have to multiply those in the random pass or if they can be weighted to be more common than the religious BGs?  Do we even want non-religious characters to be more common considering the influence of gods and worship on a fantasy culture?

CopaKindred

One day Errok will answer my questions.  :p

The first 115 of 201 traits/feats/classfeatures are named, specced, and flavored, and now only need statting and implementation.

Questions remain:
Does RimWorld core know what the value of character abilities are on its own, or do we need to figure out the math on those? 
Do we wish to enforce the point-speccing of characters on our own, or rely on the values and rarity waits of randomizing character generation?
How often do we want to see negative traits like pyromaniac and tee-totaler in the game's random generation of NPCs?

entumba

What kind of timeframe do you have for A17 compatibility?
What kind of timeframe for a feature-complete release?

CopaKindred

The missioning system in On The Road seems like the ideal jumping off point for creation of dungeon style raiding and gameplay in this mod.  I imagine once Eroks gets his ducks in a row with his current semester he'll be raring to go on that front.  I believe we're literally just waiting on time management at the moment, and once he can give me some more feedback and can figure his way around the current programming block on Backstory/Childhood, all my work should implement fairly quickly.  I'm crossing my fingers to have this up and running and fully functioning by the time an A18 rolls out...

The-Eroks

Haha... sorry for the delayed responses! I'm alive! But I am pressed for time this evening so I'll answer a few questions:

QuoteWhat kind of timeframe do you have for A17 compatibility?
What kind of timeframe for a feature-complete release?
[A17] is an interesting release because it added some new modding features that (I believe) will change the way we update and release EO Core. I'm in the process of experimenting with what exactly can be achieved. EO V01 for [A16] basically had the user delete the original core (OG Core) and replace it with EO Core. Than we could a) develop and release EO modules or b) include mod-comps directly in EO (which was the route I was going at the time [A17] was released. This file architectural methodology had two huge, major flaws... any official update would a) update over the top of the "Core" folder and b) require some VERY tedious file reviewing to transition EO Core's between major releases.

Luckily, [A17] came with a new feature which allows inherent (and maybe backward modification). For example, IN THEORY, instead of copypasta over the original Weapons_Guns.xml with my own EO Core, I can create an EO Core mod which the user would place as the first load order, that mod would inherent and backward modify Weapons_Guns.xml by disabling with a non-accessible technology or re-texturing the asset without chaning it's def. This is a FAR more advantageous approach as it would not wreck the core file anytime a minor update was released and allow us to use a modular based file architecture.

So... I still haven't answered the question yet though. I sincerely HOPE that I can get Epic Omega to be [A17] compatible NLT 4 July with 31 July as a conservative estimate. An official release of Epic Omega would be nice to achieve before 1 September.

QuoteDo we wish to enforce the point-speccing of characters on our own, or rely on the values and rarity waits of randomizing character generation?

My initial reaction is that we must trust the dice  ;) In a later version, I would like to allow the player to build a 4-6 member party using a traditional character sheet/generation process. Two of my favorite aspects of DM'ing were seeing what the dice did when I was doing world generation of NPCs, and of course, seeing what the players themselves came up with.

The-Eroks

Quote from: CopaKindred on June 06, 2017, 05:28:38 AM
The missioning system in On The Road seems like the ideal jumping off point for creation of dungeon style raiding and gameplay in this mod.
My thoughts exactly. EO Core will definitely be taking advantage of this feature to present quests of various sorts  :D

Update for Build 07:
So my experiments with the new patching system have proven successful, so now it's on to the minor task of delineating EO Core from the different modules that will be released. Basic design strategy will shift from a single major module-composition to a single major EO Core release followed by minor module releases. This will also increase compatibility while making EO more modular with other authors... so this is good news!

Tamias

I absolutely love the idea behind this mod! You should consider using Jec's Tools for magic implementation, and possibly the abilities of other classes, as it does a much better job with those types of things than an item based system. You should check out the "Star Wars: The Force" mod, as the jedi system in that mod was built from Jec's tools, and it would give you an idea of the things you could do with that tool set. If you need any help with it, the team behind both Jec's Tools and the Star Wars mods have a Discord page, and they are generally very helpful.

The-Eroks

Quote from: kyle1847 on June 13, 2017, 10:36:28 PM
I absolutely love the idea behind this mod! You should consider using Jec's Tools for magic implementation, and possibly the abilities of other classes, as it does a much better job with those types of things than an item based system. You should check out the "Star Wars: The Force" mod, as the jedi system in that mod was built from Jec's tools, and it would give you an idea of the things you could do with that tool set. If you need any help with it, the team behind both Jec's Tools and the Star Wars mods have a Discord page, and they are generally very helpful.

Thanks for the support! My long-term vision is to have a system that supports both in-depth character generation and adventuring as well as some fantasy-based colony survival/empire building fun.  ;D

The-Eroks

Latest Update: We're close to the [A17] release of Version 1, Build 07. As of this moment, EO Core is being treated as a standalone mod, all of OG content basically nullified through the new patching system, and mod comps are being more cleanly handled. All of this means that future builds will more gracefully transition between new version of RimWorld and EO Core will easier to modmod.

Latest, Latest Update: RimBeast has been fully converted  :) !

As a thank you (and a sign of good will)... I am happy to post some of the Lore that I've been writing:

The Signatory of Vaults
Extract from The Annuals of Earthen
~ Loremaster Harken, First Counselor of Serenity

...The Vaults, of course, play a major role in the balance of the multiverse. Each can be considered its own universe, in a sense, complete with their own unique laws of physics, magical and divine affinities; major, minor, and pocket planes; and extraordinary denizens. The various individual deities, gods, goddesses, demon lords, arch angels and devils, and multitude of demigods that make up Pantheon of Pantheons reside among The Twelve Vaults. In addition to the vaults, there are several superstructures which account for rest of the multiverse's celestial machinations: Heaven's Fence, which encloses the multiverse and separates it from The Void Infinite; The Realm of Fates, located centrally within the Multiverse, this realm serves as a hub for all energies and is where individual souls begin and end their existence; Eorth, also centrally located within The Multiverse and co-existing parallel to The Realm of Fates, is considered the origin of existence and where the remaining, undiscovered pieces of the Shattered One are located; and finally, the Tower of Prime, which is said to span infinitely tall (or deep, depending on your perspective) and houses The Three Thrones at the furthermost level with The City of Serenity and Chaos at the level before it. The Esteem of Twelve is located at the heart of The City, and includes twelve Prime Deities (one from each vault) and The Grand Prime Deity (usually the most powerful and eldest of deities, chosen from a previous Esteem)...

The-Eroks

Work continues. 8) Expanded Traits has been reincorporated and is fully functional... and on track to the first [A17] release.

The-Eroks

A Celestial Perspective
Extract from The Annuals of Earthen
~ Loremaster Harken, First Counselor of Serenity

...if one where to awaken as a newborn within one of the various vaults and never learn of the grand design of the multiverse at large, it is likely that they would assume that their existence was unique and vital to the process known as The Celestial Machinations. We know this to be false. If one were to have infinite wisdom, they would know that each vault has a Prime Deity and that Deity holds the dual role of Vault Master and "Leader" to the Esteem of Twelve. As Vault Master, they reign over their respective vault's universe within the confines of The Unspoken (powerful, fundamental rules of the universe--created by The Shattered One before her betrayal). As an Esteem Leader, they collaborate with the Esteem of Twelve to deliberate the fate and rules of the multiverse. Within this celestial order, The Grand Prime offers these deliberations to the Throne Keepers as a fourth check on the balance of celestial power...

Build 07 for [A17] is right around the corner! RimBeast is fully implemented. Expanded Traits is fully implemented. Ish's Medieval Weapons and Armors are fully implemented (working on defenses right now)... and I hope to have a few more surprises/mod comps completed by tomorrow. 

The-Eroks

Finally! Build 09 for Version 1 is complete. Features include:
- Entire file architecture rebuilt to take advantage of [A17] patching system
- Slightly Expanded Industrial Base
- All Scenarios and Storytellers are revamped (to include EO lore and the first hints of the Chapter 1 episode)
- RimBeast, Ish's Medieval Weapons, Armor, and Defenses; Expanded Traits all fully implemented, Cats is partially implemented
- New Rocks (dwarves love rocks)
- Many new structures (although they're just placeholder graphics)

Thanks again for all of the support. Hopefully the next release don't take as long  ;)

Also, I'm pretty sure I told CopaKindred a month ago that I would look into some stuff and answer some questions regarding traits/attributes (which I never did...  :-[). Onward to Build 10!