Advanced Tips and Tactics

Started by Syrchalis, April 04, 2017, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

Also known as specific tips, tips related to exact knowledge of game mechanics etc.

Basically tips that are likely to help a player who isn't a beginner anymore.

Penoxycyline
Grants 61% immunity to Malaria, Sleeping Sickness and Plague. This effect diminishes over time (hence why it says take every 5 days). The way diseases work is that they infect your colonists and after a certain time they are discovered.
If one of your colonists gets Malaria and has recently taken Penoxycyline then he will be immune BEFORE the disease is discovered, meaning you will never even know he had Malaria. For Plague and Sleeping Sickness that's not the case, but you can keep them working and not treat them and they will be immune before the illnesses become severe.

Even if you take it less than every 5 days it will still give a huge benefit against these diseases.

Further, the game decides how many pawns will get sick and then selects them randomly among your pawns and your prisoners. This means two things, first - Prisoners protect your colonists indirectly. Secondly, immunity makes it less likely for a colonist to be chosen. So if your doctor takes Penoxycyline regularly he is VERY unlikely to get sick. However, if all your colonists take it regularly then all have the same chance of getting sick again.

Conclusion: Regularly taking Penoxycyline makes fighting most fatal diseases (save for Flu and Infection) a lot quicker and easier. Giving it to just one or two very important colonists makes sure they are not the ones who get sick. Even just using 6 Penoxycyline on your doctor per year makes sure he/she barely ever gets sick and even if will be healthy enough to survive without bed rest or treatment.

Sterile Tiles
Reduce food poison chance and infection chance. I arguably never get infections in my hospital so I usually use those in the kitchen instead. The tooltip doesn't state it, that's why this isn't something known to everyone.
It can possibly be a good idea to put the butcher table not in the kitchen, because it creates lots of "dirt" - the butcher table itself reduces cleanliness too.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Syrchalis

Yeah, that was the point, that is a collection of random tips, this is supposed to be only advanced tips, aka things you might not know after 100-200 hours of gameplay.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Sola

Penoxycyline confers an immediate 61% immunity.  You can apply it after the disease occurs.  This guarantees that anybody will be able to survive a disease.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

Shurp

Devmode: Down Pawn immediately stops drug binges.  Useful when you're too lazy to haul/destroy the flake the siegers left when they fled and one of your pawns decides he's gotta have some.

Hmmm, Devmode: Destroy is what I should have used on the drugs to begin with... silly me.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

t3ff13

Oddly enough, if you're feeding with pemmican or meals, only chicken surplus nutrition.

Second up are foxes. If you have a souped up butcher foxes can provide more nutrition when killed than their nutrition consumed prior to death, assuming they are killed no later than adulthood. The higher your butchering efficiency, the better, but it's still never really worth it.

Covered in Weasels

What about if you're feeding with hay? Are more animal types viable for generating food in that case?

deshara218

Pawns can't fire from within a tile containing a chunk, so if there's a shooting position you want to prevent a raider from taking, as long as it's angle isn't shallower than 90°, a chunk stockpile will ruin it for them. Many a mountain tunnel shortcut has been rendered unassailable by clever placing of rocks