[B18] Vanilla-Friendly Weapon Expansion v2.4b (22nd Jan 2018)

Started by XeoNovaDan, April 04, 2017, 06:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want any of the following weapons to be renamed? (ending 10/4/2017 @ 3PM GMT)

Marksman Rifle -> Battle Rifle
3 (25%)
Fifty Cal Rifle -> Heavy Sniper
2 (16.7%)
Vintage Assault Rifle -> Automatic Rifle
4 (33.3%)
They're OK as they are
6 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: April 12, 2017, 12:06:17 PM

Muffalo Wool

I don't know if this is a bug but for some reason, one of my colonist died instantly due to an unfinished infection he got from a burn from an EMP shell. http://imgur.com/a/bdU6w

XeoNovaDan

That's got nothing to do with this mod?

It's a vanilla thing: The EMP shell (Combat Extended) did a large amount of damage to the pawn's torso, putting its efficiency at a very low number. Infection took the torso efficiency down to 0%, therefore the pawn died.

XeoNovaDan

Updated to v2.1! (09/07/2017)

Changes:
- Guided Pulse SMG Changes
    - Elite Mercenaries can now spawn with the Guided Pulse SMG
    - Market Value: 1600 -> 1800
    - Generate Commonality: 1 -> 0.2
    - Shooting Accuracy Bonus: 50% -> 45%
    - Accuracy (T/S/M/L): 63/55/37/22 -> 77/62/41/22
    - Range: 21.5 -> 20
    - Cooldown: 1.02 -> 1
- Repeater Rifle Changes
    - Renamed to 'Lever-Action Rifle'
    - Damage: 18 -> 16
    - Range: 34 -> 29
- All weapons and bullet defNames are now prefixed with 'VFWE_'
- Various weapon descriptions now worded more like vanilla weapons

Direct downloads will also be from GitHub as opposed to Dropbox from now on. The same migration will happen to my other mods in the future.

bladerunner170

Hm. Any chance of a compatibility patch for CE-Guns? Because it adds quite a few guns and some of them make some of yours redundant (CEG's AK-47 and the Vintage Assault Rifle, for example). Not to mention checking the balance between crafting recipes and stuff.

I love this mod, but it really bugs me having to choose between which versions of what gun is the best.

In addition, CE - Guns renames most guns to their real life names. If you WERE to make a patch, could you shift the gun names to those in the spreadsheet? For consistency?

I'd be happy to help, if you wanted. I'm decent with editing the XML's from different mods. I love this mod.

XeoNovaDan

@bladerunner170 Now that you mention it, I could utilise one of CE's custom patches to remove the Vintage AR if CE Guns is active. VFWE 2.1 lost its compatibility with CE and CE Guns due to defName prefixing, but that should be fixed with the next update for both.

Edit: Just made a pull request for VFWE 2.1 compatibility with CE guns, including the aforementioned Vintage AR removal XML patch.

XeoNovaDan

Just posting to say that the VFWE spreadsheet has been expanded and renovated: There's a second sheet which details the Combat Extended stats (along with a comparison to CE + CE Guns), and the aesthetic's gone from multi-coloured to greyscale. There's also a new field detailing any research prerequisites for all weapons.

Soupy Delicious

Got my first siege yesterday, and with it my first taste of your weapons (as well as the sensation of soiled underpants).  Also, previously, I'd captured a girl from a tribe and converted her, and the next day her ex-lover comes strolling in from the north with an improvised pistol right as a group of mechanoids were attacking. 

I could deliciously imagine him setting out with the village smith's pet project tucked into his pants (or maybe he picked it off a trader along the way?) and leaving the tribe to follow his one true love, then arriving in the nic of time, quite actually coming into our village square from the top as his honey and her sister, coming in from the left, catch a scattergun scyther in the middle.

That was the first time I'd seen a scattergun scyther and it was impressively scary up until the point when I realised that it happily sat at max-weapon range to fire it's gun. Maybe you can't fix that; it was still an intense battle and it bested my usual tactic of sending my camels in to attack (that was gruesome to witness).

I was thinking, though, with the addition of the sling and improvised pistol, doesn't it actually make raids slightly easier?  Maybe-problems aside, I'm so happy I found this mod. Thanks :)

XeoNovaDan

Thank you very much for the extensive feedback, and I'm glad to see that you appreciate this mod too! :)

Yeah, the Improvised Pistol was aimed more at the early-game 'drifter' raiders and a last resort weapon. As for the Sling, tribal slingers actually have a lower combat power rating than conventional archers, so you'll get more slingers. I think part of the difficulty drop is to do with the fact that I made a patch that raises Short Bow's generate commonality to 2.5, since it made little sense that tribals would just spam great bows which are medieval weapons. I'll backtrack on that though.

I may consider dropping the Improvised Pistol's generate commonality though if it's too much of a problem by late-game in regards to difficulty. As for the scattergun, yeah, that's a scary weapon. Due to the way that body size works in accuracy calculation, along with charge scattergun's low per-shot accuracy, it'll benefit greatly against large targets. The max range is also an AI limitation too AFAIK.

I wouldn't recommend grouping your colonists close together when confronted by a charge scattergun scyther, that's for sure :P

Anyway, thanks again!

Soupy Delicious

Hey woah, don't backtrack on my part!  I've been through two raids, one tribal one pirate siege; I'm in no position to be swaying others' positions, I only wanted to point out something that may be. I haven't noticed a difficulty drop.  I don't even know how the game determines who spawns with what (and I don't want to know ;P)

So yeah, no actual criticisms from me, except for the scyther attacking from range thing, but that's not too bad.

As an aside, I love that the revolver has one of the shortest warm-up times.  Quickdrawing, n that.

dannyslag

I don't seem to have the recopies to craft any of these at the machining table, is there a specific research for it?

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: dannyslag on July 29, 2017, 02:54:18 PM
I don't seem to have the recopies to craft any of these at the machining table, is there a specific research for it?

Not entirely sure what's up then without a screenshot and a list of other mods, because these weapons use vanilla bases so they should all be producible at a machining table without any additional research.

If you're using Combat Extended; I believe it's the revolver, sawn-off shotgun, and lever-action rifle that are accessible without the 'Advanced Firearms' research.

Sebastian Cigar

Hey, I think I've just had a tribal raider spawn in with an Improvised Pistol - is that intended?
http://puu.sh/wX81Y/ef495d8b43.jpg

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Sebastian Cigar on July 30, 2017, 01:39:54 PM
Hey, I think I've just had a tribal raider spawn in with an Improvised Pistol - is that intended?

That is strange behaviour indeed! I'll need to look into the CE patch again at some time. I'm still currently preparing v2.2's direct download and patch notes; I've done the title and preview image ahead of time. I certainly don't remember giving the improvised pistol the 'NeolithicRanged' tag while making the patch, and it certainly doesn't have that tag in the baseline version.

Unless tribals are capable of equipping literally anything in their budget with CE, which could be a possibility given that the improvised pistol has an extremely low market value.

XeoNovaDan

Now officially updated to v2.2! (30/07/2017)

does anybody even read these? <.<

Changes:
- New weapon: Crossbow
    - 'Neolithic' medium-long range weapon
    - High damage
    - Low fire rate
    - I'd also appreciate if somebody could do a better sprite than I did
- Extensive balance tweaks to many existing weapons
- No longer modifies Short Bow's GenerateCommonality

For details, see the GitHub release... the full changelog is quite a hefty one!

Soupy Delicious

Updates.  Balance updates, delicious.  New weapon, delicious.  Did it turn out to be a re-textured Pila?  Joke question, I have faith.