How to prevent steam rimworld from updating?

Started by keylocke, April 04, 2017, 07:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

so i'm having a bit of fun with some mod combos in a16, and i don't wanna upgrade to a17 yet (when it comes) coz it's likely to break my saves.

so i went to properties > updates > automatic updates : and all i got are

-always keep updated
-update when i run the game
-high priority : update before others

and i'm like, where's the option that says something like : only update when i press an update button or something?

any suggestions how i could delay my update until i finish my playthrough?

cmitc1

you could put it on update when I run the game, and always disconnect before you play, but that method sounds ew.

Jaxxa

I think that those settings are for Rimworld itself, not the mods, there should be a branch for the A16 version after A17 comes out so that should be easy to do.
The bigger issue is that once it is out the mods will start getting updated to A17, breaking A16 compatibility. I don't think that there is any way to stop mods updating.
To work around this you will want to copy the mods from the Steam Workshop folder and install them Manually. I was planning on developing a tool that would help with that although I am not certain that it would be worth it.

keylocke

ah, i just made copies of vanilla game and mods to a separate folder.

i guess that would do for now.

GridLink

When there is a new release the old version is added asa beta branch in steam. You opt into that branch to get the old code.

skullywag

Yep the only way to do this is to copy your mods from steams workshop folder to your games mods folder then when the new release drops, use the betas tab to select the old alpha and run from there. As I keep stating to people steam WILL break your game somehow and theres nothing that anyone bar valve can do about it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?