[A17][2 mods now] Project RimFactory

Started by Spdskatr, April 07, 2017, 06:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spdskatr

Notice!
This is an obsolete thread. All further discussion has been moved to https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30813.0

The mod download link can be found here.

Summary
This project first started as Project S.A.L.: Station Automation and Logistics, but I'm expanding the borders and making a mod list for all things automation. In this mod list I mostly rely on earlygame Factorio as an idea source.

Mods

I will include a lot of images with the Industrial Rollers mod in it. historic_os has made a mod that I will most definitely build on in the coming months. Good job :) Also forgive me for using an outdated version :P

1. S.A.L.: Station Automation and Logistics

S.A.L, formerly Project S.A.L, adds a building that can automatically craft items at any workbench. It takes the bills from the workbench in front of it and produces the products. The auto-assembler can also make art, but be warned, machines have no taste for art. I might add a few industrial roller addons in here, or in another mod.

How to use: Place building facing workbench (white arrow) on workbench's interaction cell. After it is built, you can configure its input and output cells. It will automatically start doing bills from the work table. Both auto-crafter and auto-cooker's jobs are interchangeable, one just has a higher skill than the other.

This mod is customisable, skill levels can be edited in the defs. I would highly recommend any xml modders to help balance this mod

Industrial Rollers isn't required for this mod to work. However, adding it will probably increase the usefulness. Doesn't require Factory Framework.

For more information visit the steam link I so kindly provided :3 (non-steam users can read extra info I posted as well)
Github link (A17)
Steam link (Still A16. Will be until A17 officially releases)
Github(All earlier releases)

Ideas going forward

• Auto-drill, functions differently to deep drill such that it searches for drill sites deeper below the surface if pre-existing ones are depleted
  • Industrial roller addons (smart item holders, underground/quantum rail)
  • "Exponential" power generators that produce more power depending on amount of fuel it has to allow a balanced way to produce a ridiculous amount of power
  • Hopefully make this a modpack, might add some other mods in the mix as well
  • Refined chemfuel - chemfuel 100 times more potent and 150 times more power
  • By historic_os:
  • Meat grinder and veggie mixer
  • Fueler
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

historic_os

Epic! i've been planning this myself but due to lack of free time had to drop it. glad to see someone else it making it a thing!
let me know if you need anything at my end!

Also, check this thread on steam. there are some suggestions there(both things i had in plan and suggestions by other users).

Is the mod not compatible with the newer industrial rollers versions for any specific reason?

Spdskatr

Aha! Knew there was something I missed. In fact, I'm quite convinced myself to make a release on Steam now. I'll do that...

Meat grinder and veggie mixer would seem like a great idea to put in the middle of a rail. Fueler sounds excellent :)

And no, it is compatible but I'm just too lazy to update. Forgive me  ;D
My mods

Asteru

So I was just about bored and done with a play through so I decided to try this mod out some before I moved onto a new play through and ran into some issues. The first one I placed was pointing to a component assembly bench, and I moved the input to the left which was just a stockpile that I had my animals hauling steel towards and moved its output to an empty space to the right. Not optimal without rollers and such but the mod itself worked perfectly and did its job. So I proceeded to make one on my smelter and stonecutter the. An auto poker on my butcher table and electric stove. The stove and butcher table I just moved into my freezer with the autocooker for each and had input sitting on my large freezer stockpile then  Output back into the stockpile. It doesn't appear to be working though and instead of the quiet operation of the one on my component assembly there sounds like a clicking grinding sound like it's having issues. I tried to duplicate the exact setup for my component assembly and have haulers just move things to test and get it working but never could. Only one I ever could get to work was that very first component assembly bench one. All 4 others I tried all failed horribly even when setup the same. Unfortunately the resources required at the bottom of the info tab is cut off so I couldn't even see what it was saying it was missing but it should have had everything accessible that I can thing of.

So I'm obviously doing something incorrectly. Anyone care to enlighten me? When I get home I'll mess around with converting it over to being fed by rollers to see how that is.

Overall though, I really like the idea. For balance though I think there needs to be a version that has some kind of speed penalty on its crafting if that's possible. Still have the higher crafting level to do more advanced things since it's not an early research, but if possible double crafting time to order the fact that you now aren't taking up a pawns time to do a job. So it's a trade off of turning it off and using a pawn to make it faster or keep it on and just let it keep chugging along slower.

Spdskatr

unfortunately you do have to "feed" the items into the input slot and out of the output slot. That's why I said Industrial rollers would be so useful.

But otherwise I busted a few bugs, so they may have been the problem

Other news: Top 3 popular on Steam Workshop! woo!
My mods

Raccoon

Woud be nice to have a "24/7" Trader or at least 2 times a week. Something like a TradingStation where Trucks or stuff arives to make a factory usage. :b when im gonna to expand my minerals mod i woud like to create ingots automatical and sell them expensive to someone.

For the automatic cooker!

Very nice job. ♥

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Raccoon on April 09, 2017, 08:01:48 AM
Woud be nice to have a "24/7" Trader or at least 2 times a week.

Space freighters can be set up in the custom scenario screen to arrive at any frequency you want. This is on top of the random freighters that come and go.

So I set up a custom scenario that includes a freighter schedule item to have a space ship show up at the end of every season, irregardless of what the RNG provides.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Mayotte

Beautiful, this has lots of potential!

A total game-changer, I will keep my eyes on this!

Wishmaster

No, no and no.

That violates to first law of RimWorld which states:
To every produced thing, there is an equal humanlike action.

I think automatic craft is not part of RimWorld for a purpose.

Asteru

Well I figured out my main issue after seeing a post in the steam page for the mod and that's that the crafter will only work on the first bill ever and if you change it you need to decronstruct and rebuild it.

So basically at this point to use it, what I did for testing it out was built multiple smelters and stonecutter tables, each with their own unique bill and all being fed by the same rotating roller belt. That ended up making everything work well.

While I still love automation since I do lots of scripting and automation with work IRL, I'm still struggling a bit with the mod because it does make things quite a bit unbalanced. At this point the only thing in my mind balancing it is the buggy news with the mod and only working the first bill and having to rebuild it completely if you change it which causes a resource sink in itself that way. I'll be keeping an eye on this mod for sure to see how it progresses cause I like the idea and am interested to see how it can possibly be balanced.

Spdskatr

Quote from: rwurgley on April 09, 2017, 08:02:59 PM
Well I figured out my main issue after seeing a post in the steam page for the mod and that's that the crafter will only work on the first bill ever and if you change it you need to decronstruct and rebuild it.

So basically at this point to use it, what I did for testing it out was built multiple smelters and stonecutter tables, each with their own unique bill and all being fed by the same rotating roller belt. That ended up making everything work well.

While I still love automation since I do lots of scripting and automation with work IRL, I'm still struggling a bit with the mod because it does make things quite a bit unbalanced. At this point the only thing in my mind balancing it is the buggy news with the mod and only working the first bill and having to rebuild it completely if you change it which causes a resource sink in itself that way. I'll be keeping an eye on this mod for sure to see how it progresses cause I like the idea and am interested to see how it can possibly be balanced.

Balancing is coming! It's placed in the "unfinished" section for a reason :P

I'm planning on expanding Industrial Rollers as well, although I'm finding it quite hard since important classes like IRail and RailLogicHelper are internal. Currently I'm planning on making a smart hopper, slow rail and rail merger/splitter which equally distributes items on rails. Historic pls notice this
My mods

Mosart

Nice mod for craft simple items like components/fabrics/stone blocks. So your crafters can craft just complex items/weapons and be free from the boring everyday tasks.

Thx for this mod.

Are you still plan to add autominers?

Spdskatr

Quote from: Mosart on May 02, 2017, 12:40:32 PM
Are you still plan to add autominers?

I really don't know about that, right now people use the Industrialisation mining drill + S.A.L. which functions similarly, so I don't really see a purpose to add auto-drills. I will be working on another nice mod though!
My mods

xlilcasper

Awesome mod.

Of course I have a few suggestions :)

Allow us to uninstall/reinstall the auto crafters to move them. This way I can move it with my drill instead of needing to deconstruct it and rebuild it.

Right now it seems as though the auto crafter tackles the first bill in a table. It would be nice if it would try the first bill, and if it doesn't have the resources move on to the next bill. For example I tell a brewing table to make beer and whiskey. The autocrafter has access to Corn but does nothing with it because it is only looking for hops.

A bug, if a table breaks (say a tailoring table) pawns will not repair it because it is in use by the auto crafter. I had to toggle off the autocrafter to get the table to repair.

Spdskatr

Quote from: xlilcasper on May 04, 2017, 01:01:58 PM
Awesome mod.

Of course I have a few suggestions :)

Allow us to uninstall/reinstall the auto crafters to move them. This way I can move it with my drill instead of needing to deconstruct it and rebuild it.

Right now it seems as though the auto crafter tackles the first bill in a table. It would be nice if it would try the first bill, and if it doesn't have the resources move on to the next bill. For example I tell a brewing table to make beer and whiskey. The autocrafter has access to Corn but does nothing with it because it is only looking for hops.

A bug, if a table breaks (say a tailoring table) pawns will not repair it because it is in use by the auto crafter. I had to toggle off the autocrafter to get the table to repair.
1. Yes! Amazing idea
2. Yes! Even more amazing idea
3. I'm planning on fixing that - I'm going to add maintenance intervals

That was a great post, xlilcasper.
My mods